Sign in to follow this  
katiekat

singin' in the rain- hollywood magic?

86 posts in this topic

Everyone's seen singin' in the rain at least once before in their life. After the movie you've sang the song (singin' in the rain)...has it every actually rained after you sing the song?

I've watched it a couple weeks ago and on and off I would sing that wonderful tune and later on it would start raining! Ladies and Gentlemen, I do believe that that song is magic! It's gotta be movie magic or something because it's changin the weather....I know I'm not going crazy here....Where's Gene when I need him.

"Everyone's seen singin' in the rain at least once before in their life. After the movie you've sang the song (singin' in the rain)...has it every actually rained after you sing the song?

I've watched it a couple weeks ago and on and off I would sing that wonderful tune and later on it would start raining! Ladies and Gentlemen, I do believe that that song is magic! It's gotta be movie magic or something because it's changin the weather....I know I'm not going crazy here....Where's Gene when I need him.

I haven't noticed this pattern, though I often play the song on my answering machine as my outgoing message during rainy days. The last time I saw Mr. Kelly, he was in Paris. If I see him, I'll let him know you're looking for him.

Katiekat, it IS magic! I sang it yesterday and when I went on errands, it was sprinkling ever so slightly, just a few spits of water on the windshield. Guess I didn't sing loud enough.

So that begs the question - if we sing Good Morning, does that mean it will be one? :-)

Jolie

Well Lord knows I have sung the song often enough but I don't think it every actually caused it to rain but I am guilty of singing and dancing in the rain singing the song. In fact I am of the opinion that you haven't actually lived until you have done just that.

When I was very little, I sang this song while playing in the rain. Of course I didn't know anything about it or the film, but I always wanted to be able to sing all the lyrics to it. Look at me now... *lol* I can almost recite the lyrics to "Moses Supposes"!

isn't that swell?! I love every song in singin in the rain...and jolieparee! I'm tellin ya it is hollywood magic! Isn't that wonderful? I love moses supposes....moses supposes his toeses are roses, but moses supposes erroneously. But moses he knowses his toeses aren't roses as moses supposes his toeses to be! It's the goofiest song I swear, but I love it. Especially when they dance on the desk top...it's amazing!

[nobr]LOL good job, katiekat! It's my favorite song from Singin' In The Rain... I showed a friend of mine the clip on YouTube and she was blown away. I love the part where they click their heels in the intructor's face![/nobr]

[nobr]BestofOConnor2.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]Chris, I'm working on O'Connor's walk up the wall... I've got my foot on the wall but that's as far as I advise myself to go. ;) It always makes me hurt when he runs head first into those scaffolding boards! :0 [/nobr]

[nobr]bhf1940[/nobr]

make em laugh! make em laugh! Don't you know everyone likes to laugh! My father he said be an actor my son, but be a comical one!

By the way bhf1940, that is a very nifty pic. I love it! I'll have to find that one on youtube...and I gotta buy this movie. I suprised I haven't already.

Oh, my... kat. What are you waiting for? If there is one DVD you should own this is it! ;)

Glad you like the pic, I shrank it way down for the post. I love the expression on O'Connor's face as opposed to Kelly's. It sort of showed who was more comfortable with the jump, doesn't it? Kelly looks a little nervous about his landing!

bhf1940

I don't own it either! My birthday is tomorrow - should I give myself a present? :-)

A mose is a mose

A rose is a rose

A toes is a toes

Jolee

[nobr] :0 Just sing, "Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me..." ;) Then run over to eBay and start bidding! [/nobr]

[nobr]Happy B-Day, by the way![/nobr]

[nobr]fest42.gif[/nobr]

It is a marvelous movie I must say and the best thing about it is that there are so many lines that are truely awesome in every way! I love that movie and Gene Kelly is nice to look at and Donald O'connor is funny too!

I love Donald so much...I always thought he had that kinda comical chipmunky look to him...or maybe that's just me...but he makes me lol every time I see him.

"Short people have long faces and long people have short faces.

Big people have little humor and little people have no humor at all."

Thanks bhf, for the BD shout out. I'm 54 now-- GAAAACK!!!!! How did I get this old? :-) My birthday is the same as Jack Lemmon, another fave, can't believe he's gone...

DOC is such a cutie, I agree, but GK is my true love. Together they are very easy on the eyes. !!!

SITR is on next Sunday, and then two or three more times in March, I think. ?? I'm going to tape it because I still don't have the DVD, but I WILL get it soon. I'm afraid I would sit all day and watch it and never get anything done, so maybe that's why I'm afraid to have it in the house -- I'm an addict!!!!

Jolie

Thank you KatieKat! I didn't get *everything* I wanted but that's okay. There's always another birthday (I hope!) Plus I was with friends, and friends are the best things you can have! :-)

Jolie

As much as I find SINGIN' IN THE RAIN a lot of fun, it does hit a brick wall, for me, during that awful "Broadway Rhythm" (Gotta Dance) number. It's just so unnecessary, and dull, imo.

well you see, you can't really have a Gene Kelly movie without him dancing on Broadway.

he does the same sort of jig in an american in paris. The broadway part in that movie wasn't one of my favorites, but I always loved it in singin in the rain especially the gangsters flippin their coins and I loved Gene's glasses....very..um...very nice. Gene always made Broadway dancing more of an art than just people dancing and music playing. He really brought out that hollywood magic and really, in my opinion, made it come alive....I love him so much....

Yeah, me too... Actually, that was one of my favorite scenes in Singin' In The Rain. When Gene's hat flys of... I also think it was one of the more sensual scenes from the film, when he almost kisses Charisse I always thought it was a little... Um... Like Gene saying "This is who'd I'd rather be making this picture with in whole." But I love it anyway.

For what its worth, johnm, I can see your point. It is the one scene that really doesn't entirely go along with the rhythm of the film. I guess I just love it so much that it overrides any way it might not pertain to the plot.

Singin' In The Rain really is one musical that rarely strayed from the plot just to do musical numbers, so I guess this one scene can be forgiven. Alot of musicals seem to spout off in different directions just due to a new musical number. I think it's OK, but really nothing's better than a musical in which nearly every number and every performance slips seemlessly into the plot. Singin' In The Rain comes very close, closer than most.