Sign in to follow this  
katiekat

singin' in the rain- hollywood magic?

86 posts in this topic

I think it is important to remember that dancing is really hard work, and that perfectionists like Fred and Gene could push their partners quite hard at times to attain the exact effect they wanted. (I think both men had a temper, too.)

Making pictures was fraught with tough rehearsal, but also with all the other stuff--I'm sure each set had its own unique politics and relationships and such.

So you could have obsessive taskmasters who were also nice guys off the set (and even sometimes on the set). I think that's what you had in Astaire and Kelly.

[nobr]Thanks for telling us about your meeting with Donald O'Connor! :) I would have figured him for a nice guy... Did anyone ever notice Reynolds seemed more comfortable with O'Connor in SITR?[/nobr]

[nobr]Here are some pics of him with Reynolds:[/nobr]

[nobr]Reynolds.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]Reynolds2.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]Reynolds1.jpg[/nobr]

I'm pretty sure those all were taken on the set of I Love Melvin--in that one, Donald gets the girl!

Oh, I want to see that one! I'd love to see one where he actually gets the girl... :)

Perhaps Gene was harsh because he was afraid of the competition that Donald O'Connor represented.

If you really watch their numbers together, it really is quite obvious that Donald could more than keep up with Gene. I've also noticed that, particularly in Fit As A Fiddle, Donald does a more complete job of acting as well as dancing a song. Such as trying to make it look like he's really playing the fiddle. He does some great finger work, while Gene doesn't even attempt it, his focus is on the footwork. Donald is focused on the complete image.

Yes, I agree. You know, I've seen a good handful of Gene movies and every time Gene Kelly dances with someone I hardly ever look at the other person. My eyes are usually fixed on Kelly because of his expressions and flamboyant way of dancing. Singin' In The Rain was the first movie I can honestly say my eyes are totally drawn off of Gene Kelly and stay fixed on O'Connor.

Not only do I believe O'Connor did out dance Kelly, he had the dance down perfectly and concentrated on other things... Like facial expressions, ect.

I think Anne was the one who mentioned Kelly was a scene stealer, which he was. But not even he could steal the thunder from Donald O'Connor! Especially during the "Moses Supposes" number.

On the DVD of "It's Always Fair Weather" there is also a short documentary extra that doesn't show Gene Kelly in a great light either. Each of his co-stars give the impression that Kellly was all ego, Michael Kidd and Dan Dailey especially. The curious thing about that movie is that it co-stars Cyd Charrisse and they don't have a dance number together, but he does a solo number (a good one) entitled "I Like Myself".

PFriedman

and man he sure does seem to like himself doesn't he....I still love gene kelly because he's entertaining. I'm still very much in love with Donald though. I love people who make me laugh and maybe it's just me but gene does make some smart-**** remarks in some of his movies, but he doesn't put as much feeling in his humor as Donald...I mean, well...he is a comedian anyways...but still..maybe it's just me.

I've always found Gene Kelly to be a fascinating and charming performer. What may or may not have happened behind the scenes isn't really something I'm too interested in, and I don't think it should affect my enjoyment of these musicals. It's hard to say how accurate anything based on hearsay could be, and how those who have "stories to tell" may or may not have had an agenda of their own.

Furthermore I'm sure that there's usually enough tension and pressure when doing a big studio movie that some people might just not be able to remain as cordial as they would have been under less stressful circumstances.

And yes I am sure that some famous actors and performers I generally like may not have been nice IRL. But that's OK, I like them for what's on screen, not for what there was IRL.

Every time it rains all I can think of is Gene Kelly's dancing, so I usually run around outside and sing when it rains, and I get the strangest looks from people...hmm...my friends usually are running around with me so I guess it's ok. I can't wait untill it's summer so I can do it again! YAY! GO GENE KELLY!!!

I've heard alot about the fact that the Broadway Melody scene dragged on, and it did, but I love it because Cyd Charisse is in it!

(I suppose it doesn't help that I'm on a self-induced sugar high!!)

I like that whole scene. I just thought it was meaningful in more ways than just to fit gene's solo dancing scene in. It made me want to flip a coin several times over...and after watching donald...wooo.....I've wanted to take tap dancing lessons.....ooo donald....nice..

WE LOVE EVERYBODY! This is truly one of the best movies ever made! Everybody who's anybody is in this wonderful film!...besides Humphrey and jimmy....and so on....They're definitely somebodys too.

I'll just say it again because it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...this movie really is one of the best movies ever. I love Donald! He's the best!...and he's handsome! and the best! and I love him! even my guinea pig agrees with me on that one. He's squeaking like mad right now!

oh, one more thing...is it just me or does Katherine Hepburn pop up in the crowd of people in the beginning when gene comes out with Donald....good times. Maybe it's just my imagination getting the better of me. she would be the fan that faints in the crowd.

Ha ha - that IS funny! The scene that cracks me up is the unsynchronized part when the sound and the actions don't match. And the microphone picking up the rustling sound in Hagen's costume.

Don't forget Monday starts GK - SOTM. There's a separate thread started on it with a list of the movies on Monday. There are so many I haven't seen, and I just got a bunch of tapes to tape ALL of them!!

Jo

ogm! happy gene kelly month everybody! It's finally here and I've just realized it thanks to jolieParee so thank you jolie paree!

I love that scene too! It's one of the most sarcastice movies I've ever watched too. Like the beginning when gene's telling the story of his and donalds success...funny

I was trying to get my mother to watch SITR so I pulled up this vid off of YouTube: O'Connor's "Make Em Laugh" number... She thought the part where he makes the dummy put its "hand" on his leg was so funny! Won her over ;)

no I still haven't seen that movie. Isn't it more of a documentary about gene kelly? or at least that's what I've heard...or I think I've heard that, but no, I'm still waiting around to see that one.