Sign in to follow this  
katiekat

singin' in the rain- hollywood magic?

86 posts in this topic

"is it just me or does Katharine Hepburn pop up in the crowd of people in the beginning when gene comes out with Donald... Maybe it's just my imagination getting the better of me. she would be the fan that faints in the crowd."

I'm afraid it's your vivid imagination, Ms. Kat. Ms. Hepburn -- though still a beauty -- was a couple of decades older than the fainting lass in this shot. It would have been quite a coup to get Hepburn for this cameo, but I don't think she had the self-deprecating sense of humor required to do this.

If you're looking for familiar faces in this scene, take note that the character of Zelda Zanders is played by a pre-West Side Story Rita Moreno and Madge Blake plays Louella Parsons-like "Dora Bailey". Ms. Blake was a venerable supporting player and later would be seen in the weekly television sitcom The Real McCoys starring Walter Brennan and Richard Crenna.

That's strange. I swore up and down that it was her, but I guess it was my imagination. Thank you for that bit of info. I kinda thought I was wrong anyways because it seemed out of character for Katherine to be in this movie. But again, thank you for helping me out.

kt

Yeah I think it was still rare for big stars to make cameos like that in movies, although that would change by the mid-50's with Around the World in 80 Days.

may I ask who's in around the world in 80 days? I've seen the goofy modern version with jackie chan and them but not the one from the 50's of which you speak.

The remake really wasn't very good... the original stars David Niven, Cantinflas, and Shirley MacLaine, but there are cameos by literally dozens of major movie stars.

Katiekat,

I can remember when this film was first released, and the hype and

excitement surrounding the opening was unbelievable.

My mom took me because I knew she wanted to see it so desperately,

and at the end of the movie, I fell in love with the story and all the movie

stars. The script is weak, but just the idea of all the popular actors

of the day mixed with a classic tale and international travel

was intoxicating to me at the tender age of 7.

I hope you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us! It's just awesome, one of the coolest things ever to come out of Hollywood! B-)