Sign in to follow this  
whunt

Les Stances a Sophie (1971)

2 posts in this topic

Les Stances a Sophie is a French New Wave Film directed by Academy Award winner Moshe Mizrahi. The film is very notable for one of my favorite jazz albums. The story of the band who recorded it--The Art Ensemble of Chicago--is a great tale in and of itself, but the soundtrack is a work of beauty.

But I can't find this film for the life of me! I did request it but they only very rarely take requests. Nothing on Wikipedia, Amazon has nothing, and  could only find traces of it online. I know for a fact it is not lost, as a blog recently reviewed it, but I just want to see this movie.

Hi whunt,

Soul Jazz Records, a British music label, used to sell a Region 1 and 2 DVD of "Les Stances a Sophie" (1971) but is no longer in print on the label's website. Fortunately, however, more than a few exist on Ebay for purchase. As for the film, it is very representative of early 1970s French mainstream cinema, with its slight touch of Jean Eustache, but nowhere near as complex or emotional. Obviously, if not for the legendary score by The Art Ensemble of Chicago (who make a brief cameo), nobody would have much interest in seeing it, even if the film does have great style and two luminaries of the Nouvelle Vague, Bernadette Lafont and Bulle Ogier.