Bogie56

The Appointments - Trump's Swamp

1,398 posts in this topic

This should send a message to our enemies.

Be careful that they don't multiply.

Mad dogs are unhealthy and dangerous. They should be

put down immediately. I'd love to see this big mouth dip

**** blown to smithereens, but that will likely never happen. :(

Mad dogs are unhealthy and dangerous. They should be

put down immediately. I'd love to see this big mouth dip

**** blown to smithereens, but that will likely never happen. :(

Now now. He may be Trump's best appointment yet. This Flynn character could be a real problem.

Now now. He may be Trump's best appointment yet. This Flynn character could be a real problem.

I think it would be fun to see the old coot yammering on about

how he gets a thrill out of killing people and then there's a

loud explosion and all those medals are flying in twenty different

directions.

• Like 1

I think it would be fun to see the old coot yammering on about

how he gets a thrill out of killing people and then there's a

loud explosion and all those medals are flying in twenty different

directions.

the old coot.  :lol: 

I wonder if James Mattis' selection is an attempt by Trump to show his mastery of the Republicans in Congress.  Not only must Senate approve Mattis, but House and Senate must also waive the rule prohibiting him from being Sec Def.

The rule is there for good reason and the Republican leadership should stand up to Trump and convince him to nominate someone better qualified.

So is Chao's appointment to shore up Senate support in the likelihood of a push for impeachment?

And what about all these billionaires?  Conflicts of interest in the business world?  I understand that they are to receive HUUUUGE tax benefits if they sell off any of their assets.

And all these military jokers?  Makes me suspicious.

I wonder if James Mattis' selection is an attempt by Trump to show his mastery of the Republicans in Congress.  Not only must Senate approve Mattis, but House and Senate must also waive the rule prohibiting him from being Sec Def.

The rule is there for good reason and the Republican leadership should stand up to Trump and convince him to nominate someone better qualified.

He seems pretty well qualified. What problem do you have with him, other than his military background?

He seems pretty well qualified. What problem do you have with him, other than his military background?

The Secretary of Defense is supposed to represent the interests of the American people, not the military.  It is much larger than just a "military" job.  It is the largest bureaucracy in the government and is responsible for more direct spending than most other agencies combined. He also is too close to the military personnel with whom he so recently served and will be too influenced by them, not to mention those that now work for defense contrators.  In some respects his recent experiences may cloud his judgement as to the global "defense" issues facing the US.  He also may be tied too much to continuing policies and operations he was involved in creating.

Based on what I have read, he is well qualified to be Chairman of the JCS, but that is a military position.

It would also be bad to have him and Flynn both in office at same time.  Not to mention the possible addition of Petraeus as SOS. Too many generals for a peace loving nation.

Basically, the success of US has been civilian control of the military.

Incidentally I think it is funny that many GOPers are all for Petraeus as SOS, a man who committed a far worse breach of security than "Lock Her Up" Hillary.

• Like 1

The Secretary of Defense is supposed to represent the interests of the American people, not the military.  It is much larger than just a "military" job.  It is the largest bureaucracy in the government and is responsible for more direct spending than most other agencies combined. He also is too close to the military personnel with whom he so recently served and will be too influenced by them, not to mention those that now work for defense contrators.  In some respects his recent experiences may cloud his judgement as to the global "defense" issues facing the US.  He also may be tied too much to continuing policies and operations he was involved in creating.

Based on what I have read, he is well qualified to be Chairman of the JCS, but that is a military position.

It would also be bad to have him and Flynn both in office at same time.  Not to mention the possible addition of Petraeus as SOS. Too many generals for a peace loving nation.

Incidentally I think it is funny that many GOPers are all for Petraeus as SOS, a man who committed a far worse breach of security than "Lock Her Up" Hillary.

you who were once in the military are now hostile to the military.

and too much political micro-managing by civilian politicians in washington inhibited us in vietnam.

your strong anti-military bias, TheCid, now clouds your judgment.

you who were once in the military are now hostile to the military.

and too much political micro-managing by civilian politicians in washington inhibited us in vietnam.

your strong anti-military bias, TheCid, now clouds your judgment.

No, my military experience has taught me the limitations of the military as far as determining national policy.  I also observed its very insular, good ol' boy, country (officers') club mentality.

Might add that I am not the only retired military officer with this viewpoint.

Why do you think the seven year rule was adopted and ardously complied with for many decades? Only one exception:  George C. Marshall, who was an entirely different leader in a far more critical time.

As a Vietnam veteran and one who has studied the war, what inhibited us in Vietnam was that it was a war we could never win.  The military should have recognized that, but they always said more money & more troops and we can win.  Not going to happen with a corrupt Catholic government in a country where the majority of people hated the government more than they did the "enemy."

I am very pro-military, unlike Trump, but I also know its limitations.

• Like 1

Like Kryptonite to Campaign Finance Reform-

Trump could not have announced a more in-your-face betrayal of his promise to clean up Washington than his pick of Donald McGahn as chief ETHICS lawyer....

"Since his tenure at the FEC, according to Forbes, McGahn worked for the Koch Brothers’ “Freedom Partners Chambers of Commerce,” which “has given grants worth a total of $236 million to right-wing political groups like the tea party.” Excellent training for joining the Trump campaign as its attorney....

you know how thick Trump’s business ties are to the governments of the Philippines, Brazil, India, Turkey, Ireland and Scotland, to name a few. If a US foreign policy decision appears to favor a Trump commercial project, it’s McGhan’s job to blow the whistle on the president. If you think that’s going to happen, I’ve got a golf course with a nice view of a wind farm that I’d like to sell you....

http://billmoyers.com/story/like-kryptonite-campaign-finance-reform/

• Like 1

Like Kryptonite to Campaign Finance Reform-

Trump could not have announced a more in-your-face betrayal of his promise to clean up Washington than his pick of Donald McGahn as chief ETHICS lawyer....

"Since his tenure at the FEC, according to Forbes, McGahn worked for the Koch Brothers’ “Freedom Partners Chambers of Commerce,” which “has given grants worth a total of $236 million to right-wing political groups like the tea party.” Excellent training for joining the Trump campaign as its attorney....

you know how thick Trump’s business ties are to the governments of the Philippines, Brazil, India, Turkey, Ireland and Scotland, to name a few. If a US foreign policy decision appears to favor a Trump commercial project, it’s McGhan’s job to blow the whistle on the president. If you think that’s going to happen, I’ve got a golf course with a nice view of a wind farm that I’d like to sell you....

http://billmoyers.com/story/like-kryptonite-campaign-finance-reform/

The Trump-Koch Oligarchy-- It's the last word in capitalism

( maybe in more ways than one)

The Trump-Koch Oligarchy-- It's the last word in capitalism

( maybe in more ways than one)

Don't leave out Goldman-Sachs as many appointees have connections to it.

Ironic that the GOPers and Trumps made such a big thing about how crooked and corrupt Hillary was because she gave speech to Goldman-Sachs.  

Now Trump is bringing G-S into the government at the highest levels.

I think that Bob Corker will be the eventual choice as SOS. Petraeus has FAR too much baggage, and the last thing needed is another military man.

Phillip Carter and Loren DeJonge Schulman had an interesting opinion piece in the Washington Post re: Trump surronding himself with too many generals/admirals.

Gov. Nikki Haley of S.C. made the same mistake when she first came into office.

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-surrounding-himself-with-generals-thats-dangerous/2016/11/30/e6a0a972-b190-11e6-840f-e3ebab6bcdd3_story.html?utm_term=.39d0bafab0b2&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

Phillip Carter and Loren DeJonge Schulman had an interesting opinion piece in the Washington Post re: Trump surronding himself with too many generals/admirals.

Gov. Nikki Haley of S.C. made the same mistake when she first came into office.

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-surrounding-himself-with-generals-thats-dangerous/2016/11/30/e6a0a972-b190-11e6-840f-e3ebab6bcdd3_story.html?utm_term=.39d0bafab0b2&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

It seems that it's Only generals. No admirals in sight.

It seems that it's Only generals. No admirals in sight.

Admiral Michael S. Rogers as Director of National Intelligence.

So, Trump has made Sleepy Ben Carson the Housing Secretary.  Recall that Sleepy said in the debates that even the poor should pay taxes as it would make them 'feel better to be contributing.'  Yeah, and meanwhile allow him to pay less in taxes.  Though I doubt some GOP fans here will care less.  Let's face it, the poor likely don't come on the TCM boards.

So, Trump has made Sleepy Ben Carson the Housing Secretary.  Recall that Sleepy said in the debates that even the poor should pay taxes as it would make them 'feel better to be contributing.'  Yeah, and meanwhile allow him to pay less in taxes.  Though I doubt some GOP fans here will care less.  Let's face it, the poor likely don't come on the TCM boards.

My favorite part about this is that Carson previously turned down the position of Secretary of Health & Human Services, saying that he felt he was unqualified, even though he loves to trot out his medical credentials. However, apparently he does feel qualified to head Housing & Urban Development?!?

• Like 2

My favorite part about this is that Carson previously turned down the position of Secretary of Health & Human Services, saying that he felt he was unqualified, even though he loves to trot out his medical credentials. However, apparently he does feel qualified to head Housing & Urban Development?!?

Yes, I can just imagine the conversation...

Sleepy: But just what does the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development do?

the Donald: How the hell should I know.  Just dismantle it.

• Like 4

Why not? Do you have to pay $5,000 for a logon ID?