Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Mike Pence-- Who is He and What is his Agenda?

351 posts in this topic

Yes, she was spinning Trump's words.  You just didn't get the joke.

... and neither did so many supporting HIM.

That's the problem in a nut shell. I don't think many will even remember how much of a racist and trash talker he was on the campaign trail once we get the kinder and more cuddily version of Trump in the White House. His interview with Leslie Stahl was after Paul Ryan and others were making him learn his Emily Post etiquette. He was totally wishy washy when asked about overturning gay marriage by saying it is "settled in the court". (At least until he changes the court.)

The average Trump supporter (no, not every Trump supporter but the average) is a TV addict who has a short attention span. On the plus side, all of the racial graffiti and bullying we have seen explode in America will subside as society gets "back to normal" during the next year. Yet this guy is raised on any publicity is good publicity regardless of what it is. He says outrageous things just to get noticed. Then, as he once said in an interview years ago, people won't remember what he said but will remember his name.

You got me, what's the joke?

Trump said her administration would bring in the Apocalypse. She was repeating the word in joking reference that he IS the Apocalypse. Yet, as I just mentioned, very few on HIS side got the joke simply because they had already forgotten what HE said within a few days as they eagerly went to his next rally for something new that he will bellow. They all have short attention spans.

This may be another reason Hillary lost (although we must remember that she DID win the popular vote, meaning more physical BEINGS actually chose her over him). She is very cerebral and intelligent, but average Americans aren't into "nerds". They like things more simple and straight forward. The number one compliment I hear from Trump fans is that "he tells it like it is". Actually this does not mean he is honest and straight forward himself. Hillary was, overall, more truthful even if many didn't VIEW her as truthful. Yet Trump speaks in simple words and phrases that are easier to grasp than her.

• Like 3

Trump said her administration would bring in the Apocalypse. She was repeating the word in joking reference that he IS the Apocalypse. Yet, as I just mentioned, very few on HIS side got the joke simply because they had already forgotten what HE said within a few days as they eagerly went to his next rally for something new that he will bellow. They all have short attention spans.

Yes, Trump tells whoppers on a daily basis so no one can keep up with him.  The bar was incredibly low for him.  If he read like a six-year-old from a teleprompter all of a sudden he was presidential.  Now he soft-peddles one or two hateful things he once said and everyone is set to applaud him as a great president and unifier.  Trouble is, for anyone with a brain he has to walk back 100% of what he has said not just one or two things.

• Like 4

Yes, Trump tells whoppers on a daily basis so no one can keep up with him.  The bar was incredibly low for him.  If he read like a six-year-old from a teleprompter all of a sudden he was presidential.  Now he soft-peddles one or two hateful things he once said and everyone is set to applaud him as a great president and unifier.  Trouble is, for anyone with a brain he has to walk back 100% of what he has said not just one or two things.

You need to go have a good cry so you can view what happened with less bias.     Few are applauding Trump and saying he is a great President and unifier (or even will be).    Instead Trump is doing what every President-Elect is doing;   focusing on actual being President-Elect and forgetting or ignoring all the crap (mostly pandering),   ALL candidates make to their base.    

Trump doesn't have to walk back anything since he is now the President-Elect.    Instead of complaining and acting like babies progressive politicians would be wise to meeting with Trump or his top aides and asking for (yes, ASKING,  and not demanding),   that Trump continue to moderate his positions.    E.g.   In exchange for Trump NOT undoing the visas granted to the 'dreamers' Dem politicians at all levels of government would ask that recent illegal immigrants (says ones that have come over within the last 4 years), self-deport. 

BUT I get the feeling you really don't want Trump to modify his positions.  You just want to continue to play politics.  That type of immature bitterness doesn't help address issues that need addressing.   The election is OVER!   

• Like 1

BUT I get the feeling you really don't want Trump to modify his positions.  You just want to continue to play politics.  That type of immature bitterness doesn't help address issues that need addressing.   The election is OVER!   

Yes, it's over and you (and the entire world) are stuck with the buffoon.

Is Trump above criticism all of a sudden?  Geesh.  He ran the most decisive campaign in recent history.

• Like 1

Yes, it's over and you (and the entire world) are stuck with the buffoon.

Is Trump above criticism all of a sudden?  Geesh.  He ran the most decisive campaign in recent history.

Of course Trump isn't above criticism but it is the nature of your criticism that I find to be lame;

E.g. your rant about the wall.     Only the diehard Trump supporter really believe he was going to build a wall.    Clearly you're wise enough to understand that was just pandering to the base.

Now the election is over and Trump and the GOP make some very reasonable comments about how they plan on dealing with illegal immigration (E.g. the focus being on deportation of illegal immigrants with criminal records,  just like Obama focused on),  and you criticize Trump and his staff for that???   For being more moderate and reasonable????

The appointment of Bannon is scary but my prediction is that he is released within 3 - 4 months OR he quits when he realizes Trump and the GOP Congress isn't going to implement any of his crazy alt-right agenda.     Trump used Bannon to get elected and will dump him when he is no longer useful. 

• Like 1

Of course Trump isn't above criticism but it is the nature of your criticism that I find to be lame;

E.g. your rant about the wall.     Only the diehard Trump supporter really believe he was going to build a wall.    Clearly you're wise enough to understand that was just pandering to the base.

My attempt at humour obviously did not do it for you.  He said he was going to build a wall and as soon as he is elected it is a fence.  That's funny.  I was merely referring to Trump's softening position on his own promises before he has even been sworn in.  Something Nipkowdisc never forgave Obama for.  My question for NKD is still unanswered.  Is he going to hold Trump to the same standards as he did Obama.  Somehow I doubt it very very much.

You know the media is scrutinizing Trump's elections promises as we speak, so why can't I?

My attempt at humour obviously did not do it for you.  I was merely referring to Trump's softening position on his own promises before he has even been elected.  Something Nipkowdisc never forgave Obama for.  My question for NKD is still unanswered.  Is he going to hold Trump to the same standards as he did Obama.  Somehow I doubt it very very much.

You know the media is scrutinizing Trump's elections promises as we speak, so why can't I?

No I understood you, which is why I wrote back to you that one can't expect a partisan like Nip to act in a reasonable manner as it relates to how they view one of their own verses the opposition.   So of course Nip is NOT going to hold Trump to the same standards,  just like soooo many Dems didn't hold Obama to the same standards they applied to GWB.   It is called partisan politics.

Yes, the media is scrutinizing Trump's election promises but that is because most of the media still don't understand why Clinton LOST and Trump WON.   

Now that the election is over,  I wish to view it as over and place the focus back on actual policy issues and associated implementation.   The Dem party and their media cohorts would be wise to do so as well.    Pushing Trump and his staff to more centralist solutions is all the Dems can hope to accomplish. 

Now the election is over and Trump and the GOP make some very reasonable comments about how they plan on dealing with illegal immigration (E.g. the focus being on deportation of illegal immigrants with criminal records,  just like Obama focused on),  and you criticize Trump and his staff for that???   For being more moderate and reasonable????

I do't think I have commented on this.  You are projecting.

Pushing Trump and his staff to more centralist solutions is all the Dems can hope to accomplish. 

And how do you do that?  Maybe by pointing out that the OTHER position is unacceptable.

I added to my 12:48 post BTW which you have subsequently responded to.

And how do you do that?  Maybe by pointing out that the OTHER position is unacceptable.

I added to my 12:48 post BTW which you have subsequently responded to.

I fail to see what is gained by Dems and the media reminding Trump and his staff that Trump had more extreme positions or said more extreme things while running for office.   The demand that Trump apologies (i.e. walk back) for some of those comments is just insane and to me an emotional and immature reaction.

Instead Dems should just deal with what Trump and his staff have said they are actually going to do.   E.g. on illegal immigration;    Obama should meet with Trump asking him NOT to undo the 720K temp visas he granted by executive order to the 'dreamers'.    In exchange Obama would hold a press conference thanking Trump for this,  that as leader of the Dem party he will continue to work with Trump and his staff on how to address non criminal illegal immigrants that have been in the country for over 4 or so  years,   and advising recent arriving illegal immigrants that they need to self-deport;   yes, you're NOT welcome here and the nation wants you to leave.

I fail to see what is gained by Dems and the media reminding Trump and his staff that Trump had more extreme positions or said more extreme things while running for office.   The demand that Trump apology (i.e. walk back) some of those comments is just insane and to me an emotional and immature reaction.

Immigration is obviously your big cause celeb.  I think he has to be held accountable for all of the deplorable things he has said.  Sorry, but his words and actions should not be somehow glazed over and made acceptable by a complacent electorate.  He's a racist pig.  That's my feeling.  I'm with those people who are protesting in spirit.  I wouldn't say that I am being immature by not accepting his bleeping behaviour.  Appeasement?  I don't think so.

• Like 2

Immigration is obviously your big cause celeb.  I think he has to be held accountable for all of the deplorable things he has said.  Sorry, but his words and actions should not be somehow glazed over and made acceptable by a complacent electorate.  He's a racist pig.  That's my feeling.  I'm with those people who are protesting in spirit.

I view this in a completely different way.    I want Trump and his staff to FORGET all the things they said and to NOT be accountable for any of them.

This increases the odds Trump and his staff can draft actual legislation that is reasonable and centralist and hopefully distance from the extreme pandering he did to get elected.

The job of holding Trump accountable to what he said while running for office is for folks like Nip.   For people like me that did NOT vote for Trump,   I just want reasonable legislation.   E.g.  a revised Tax code.    The more Trump forgets his own plan the better for all.

I view this in a completely different way.    I want Trump and his staff to FORGET all the things they said and to NOT be accountable for any of them.

So, what's the message here?  His hateful rhetoric is now acceptable because he won?  Don't you think by not calling that out you are condoning it and it is likely to continue?

• Like 2

For people like me that did NOT vote for Trump,   I just want reasonable legislation.   E.g.  a revised Tax code.    The more Trump forgets his own plan the better for all.

So you're hoping that Trump doesn't do any of the things that he said he would do while running for office, or at least not in the manner in which he said he would. 

I'm trying to be optimistic (a new thing for me), but I find that a lot of commentators are treating Trump like he's every other pol that has taken office, and I don't think he is. He may transform into your stereotypical politician, but I find it unlikely. And appointing someone like Bannon as a senior strategist doesn't seem like someone looking to moderate their positions. Maybe you're right, and he'll be Trump's Van Jones, with enough outsiders crying foul that the president will ask for his resignation. But maybe not. 

Obviously it's too early to tell how things will play out, but trying to gauge what will happen based on what politicians of the past have done won't quite work with Trump, I think.

• Like 1

So you're hoping that Trump doesn't do any of the things that he said he would do while running for office, or at least not in the manner in which he said he would. 

I'm trying to be optimistic (a new thing for me), but I find that a lot of commentators are treating Trump like he's every other pol that has taken office, and I don't think he is. He may transform into your stereotypical politician, but I find it unlikely. And appointing someone like Bannon as a senior strategist doesn't seem like someone looking to moderate their positions. Maybe you're right, and he'll be Trump's Van Jones, with enough outsiders crying foul that the president will ask for his resignation. But maybe not. 

Obviously it's too early to tell how things will play out, but trying to gauge what will happen based on politicians of the past have done won't quite work with Trump, I think.

If Trump is as much of a liar as I think he is, maybe it will benefit us. He was a Democratic all his life. He may now screw the 50 million who voted for him.

• Like 1

Obviously it's too early to tell how things will play out, but trying to gauge what will happen based on what politicians of the past have done won't quite work with Trump, I think.

I agree it is impossible to predict what Trump will actually push for or NOT.    But Trump walked back many of his proposals while he was running for office E.g.  he indicated his Tax plan was just a starting point for negotiation with Congress (mostly Paul Ryan).

So yea,  I'm hoping that Trump and his staff will indeed draft legislation that is more moderate on issues like Trade, Taxes,  Illegal Immigration,  foreign policy etc.... 

I stated in another post that keeping Bannon around is scary, but at this stage I view this as throwing his most loyal supporters a bone. 

Of course all of this could be wishful thinking and Trump and his staff will push for extreme legislation and it will be up to the Dems in the Senate to use their powers to be the party of NO. 

Trump was never a true-blue conservative, religious nut case like Ted Cruz.   

So, what's the message here?  His hateful rhetoric is now acceptable because he won?  Don't you think by not calling that out you are condoning it and it is likely to continue?

See you are still interested in the message given prior to the election.      I don't care about any of that so called messaging. 

So it isn't that this rhetoric is now acceptable but that it is irrelevant.   

Like I said I just care about the actual policy changes that will or will not be implemented in the next 2 years.

As for hateful rhetoric likely continuing;   Going forward if Trump was to tweet some hateful rhetoric I agree that should be called out,  and I believe GOP members like Paul Ryan would do so.    We just have to wait and see.   But that rhetoric said before November 8th is water under the bridge.   Again,  the election is over.

But hey,  for those that believe protesting will actually lead to some tangible outcome,   go for it,  but I view it as sour grapes.   Clinton

lost because the very people protesting (well except  for the illegal immigrants), didn't come out and support her. 

I agree it is impossible to predict what Trump will actually push for or NOT.    But Trump walked back many of his proposals while he was running for office E.g.  he indicated his Tax plan was just a starting point for negotiation with Congress (mostly Paul Ryan).

So yea,  I'm hoping that Trump and his staff will indeed draft legislation that is more moderate on issues like Trade, Taxes,  Illegal Immigration,  foreign policy etc.... 

I stated in another post that keeping Bannon around is scary, but at this stage I view this as throwing his most loyal supporters a bone. 

Of course all of this could be wishful thinking and Trump and his staff will push for extreme legislation and it will be up to the Dems in the Senate to use their powers to be the party of NO. 

Trump was never a true-blue conservative, religious nut case like Ted Cruz.   

If Trump is going to continue living at Trump Tower, he probably wants to continue socializing in Manhattan circles. In order to do so, he'll have to push a moderate agenda.

Only the diehard Trump supporter really believe he was going to build a wall.    Clearly you're wise enough to understand that was just pandering to the base.

He sure mentioned The Wall over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

His Deplorables are going to get feisty if they don't see it up on Day 1 as he promised five or six times. Day 1 is January 21st, after all of the protests in the streets and eggs are cleaned off of his limousine.

He sure mentioned The Wall over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

His Deplorables are going to get feisty if they don't see it up on Day 1 as he promised five or six times. Day 1 is January 21st, after all of the protests in the streets and eggs are cleaned off of his limousine.

I couldn't disagree more.    His supporters are so celebrity driven they will give him a pass as long as the Trump admin secures the border (which doesn't require an actual wall),   implements employment checks (e.g. e-verity),  restarts employment raids by ICE and increases deportation.

• Like 2

Trump the Entertainer said all those things.  He has already started backing away from the wall and mass deportations.

His supporters will be disappointed, but he is all they have.  Besides he got what he wanted; does he really care about them now?

He probably isn't even interested in a second term, especially when he finds out how hard it is to actually be president.

• Like 1

If Trump is going to continue living at Trump Tower, he probably wants to continue socializing in Manhattan circles. In order to do so, he'll have to push a moderate agenda.

They accepted him before; they will accept him now - especially as president.  "Celebrity" is more important than political beliefs.

If the Dems become the party of NO in the Senate, Mitch McConnell will go 'nuclear."  He will have the rules changed to where it only takes a 51 vote to pass anything or confirm a nominee.  Will change rules to where only way to filibuster is to actually take the floor and hold it.  Will also change rules so that it only takes 51 votes to stop a filibuster.

Some of the folks who voted for him won't care if he doesn't

follow through. Others will not want to admit they were suckers

who got trumped by the master.

• Like 1