TheCid

Future of Democratic Party?

829 posts in this topic

No room for you, moderate Dems. DNC on the verge of appointing extremist Ellison as chair 

We can only hope. Finally, someone who represents something that the people of the nation can hang a little hope on.

But it'll just be a start - and the MIC will do everything it can to frighten progressive leaders into doing nothing, just like it frightened Obama.

Keith Ellison Stands Head And Shoulders Above Other DNC Candidates At Leadership Debate-

"Rep. Ellison had the most forceful arguments and clearest message. The position of DNC chair is also a media job, and Keith Ellison was the most effective candidate on the stage at delivering the message....

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/02/22/keith-ellison-stands-head-shoulders-dnc-candidates-leadership-debate.html

:)

Key Question About DNC Race: Why Did Obama White House Recruit Perez to Run Against Ellison?-

"...If the plan to sink Ellison succeeds, the message that will be heard — fairly or not — is that the Democratic Party continues to venerate loyalty to its oligarchical donors above all else, and that preventing left-wing influence is a critical goal....

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/24/key-question-about-dnc-race-why-did-white-house-recruit-perez-to-run-against-ellison/

• Like 3

Tom Perez Elected Democratic National Committee Chair

The former labor secretary was backed by top Obama administration figures.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-perez-dnc-chair_us_58b0952ae4b060480e07d132?

Democratic National Committee members on Saturday voted down a resolution that would have reinstated former President Barack Obama’s ban on corporate political action committee donations to the party....

"[t]he DNC is out of touch with the American public and their needs. Democratic leaders were at a crossroads and today they chose to continue the failed Clinton strategy of prioritizing wealthy donors over the activist base."

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/02/25/incredibly-disappointing-democrats-choose-tom-perez-head-party

:(  <_<

• Like 2

Democratic National Committee members on Saturday voted down a resolution that would have reinstated former President Barack Obama’s ban on corporate political action committee donations to the party....

"[t]he DNC is out of touch with the American public and their needs. Democratic leaders were at a crossroads and today they chose to continue the failed Clinton strategy of prioritizing wealthy donors over the activist base."

When you are in combat, you don't go in with less ammunition than the enemy.  An unfortunate truth about the American political system.

This is especially true when the DNC needs to spend lots of money "from the school board to Congressional levels."  One of the reps at the meeting used the quoted phrase.

It will be interesting to see what the "progressives" do now.  Will they do as they did when Hillary won the nomination; essentially abandon the party and whine?

I hope that they can understand that at this juncture, the DEMS need to unify and be very active.  They will also need lots of money to counteract the billions that the Republicans will be spending to defeat all Dem candidates.

The DNC needs to realize that the fight starts tomorrow in every city, county, district and state in the nation.  Being an every four year, presidential election group won't cut it.

The liberal, activist, protesting wing needs to realize that to win back Congress and the White House, the Dems have to take win back the people who voted for Trump and who have been voting Republican since 2010.

It will be interesting to see what the "progressives" do now.  Will they do as they did when Hillary won the nomination; essentially abandon the party and whine?

I hope that they can understand that at this juncture, the DEMS need to unify and be very active.

It's kinda like the chicken and the egg conundrum.  Who abandoned whom anyway? 

If the Dems are to unify, it must be a two-way street.  So far, the DNC seems reluctant to admit any missteps in both the primary process and general election.  Instead, they seem to be pointing fingers everywhere (Comey!  The Russians!  Bernie Bros!) but at themselves.  Unification where one faction of the party is expected to submit meekly to the powerful establishment leadership simply won't work.  If it feels too much like being in an abusive relationship, then why stay? 

Yeah, I left the Dems after almost 25 years of actively supporting candidates from national to local levels, as is my privilege.  If that sounds like "whining" so be it.  I wish I shared your optimism that the party can be salvaged, but if they insist on continuing down the path they're on, I feel they're heading for irrelevance.

• Like 3

kqpbolIc_bigger.jpg

Bernie SandersVerified account@BernieSanders 5h5 hours ago

I congratulate Tom Perez on his election as chairman of the Democratic National Committee and look forward to working with him.

kqpbolIc_bigger.jpg

It's imperative Tom understands that the same-old, same-old isn't working and that we must bring in working and young people in a new way.

kqpbolIc_bigger.jpg

The Democratic Party must make clear it will stand up to the 1% and lead in the fight for social, racial, economic and environmental justice.

• Like 1

DJT_Headshot_V2_bigger.jpg

Congratulations to Thomas Perez, who has just been named Chairman of the DNC. I could not be happier for him, or for the Republican Party!

• Like 1

If the Dems are to unify, it must be a two-way street.  So far, the DNC seems reluctant to admit any missteps in both the primary process and general election.  Instead, they seem to be pointing fingers everywhere (Comey!  The Russians!  Bernie Bros!) but at themselves.  Unification where one faction of the party is expected to submit meekly to the powerful establishment leadership simply won't work.  If it feels too much like being in an abusive relationship, then why stay? 

Yeah, I left the Dems after almost 25 years of actively supporting candidates from national to local levels, as is my privilege.  If that sounds like "whining" so be it.  I wish I shared your optimism that the party can be salvaged, but if they insist on continuing down the path they're on, I feel they're heading for irrelevance.

Bernie is the only thing keeping the Dems in the game.

If he were to leave and join another political Party, they'd be in huge trouble.

• Like 1

Not saying there were not missteps in both the primaries and the general election, but Dems need to determine what they were and how to improve the party for all factions.  That's why new leadership is needed.  But, the Dems must not hand the GOPers the next three election cycles on a silver platter.  Which is what will happen if they become the party of extreme liberalism.

Will have to wait and see, but I don't believe anyone is asking for one faction to submit to the other.  There are actually many different factions in the Dem Party.

It appears to me that the "progressive/liberal" wing is demanding that the "establishment" faction submit to them in all areas.  If not, they bolt the party.

One problem the Dems have that the Republicans don't, is that basically the GOPers have too factions - extremists and very extremist with corporationists manipulating both.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account@realDonaldTrump 7h7 hours ago

The race for DNC Chairman was, of course, totally "rigged." Bernie's guy, like Bernie himself, never had a chance. Clinton demanded Perez!

Donald J. TrumpVerified account‏@realDonaldTrump 7h7 hours ago

The race for DNC Chairman was, of course, totally "rigged." Bernie's guy, like Bernie himself, never had a chance. Clinton demanded Perez!

He should know.  After all Putin and the Russians rigged the Nov. election or else Trump would have lost.

• Like 2

Not saying there were not missteps in both the primaries and the general election, but Dems need to determine what they were and how to improve the party for all factions.  That's why new leadership is needed.  But, the Dems must not hand the GOPers the next three election cycles on a silver platter.  Which is what will happen if they become the party of extreme liberalism.

Will have to wait and see, but I don't believe anyone is asking for one faction to submit to the other.  There are actually many different factions in the Dem Party.

It appears to me that the "progressive/liberal" wing is demanding that the "establishment" faction submit to them in all areas.  If not, they bolt the party.

One problem the Dems have that the Republicans don't, is that basically the GOPers have too factions - extremists and very extremist with corporationists manipulating both.

Sanders comments today about how the DNC elect their leaders is very telling.   Additionally he stated that he would not provided the DNC the list of his donors.   

To me both factions are digging in and making demands.    Therefore at this time I don't see the two factions coming to terms.  Instead, like we saw with the DNC leadership vote,  in the 2018 Dem primaries each faction will support their own candidate who will relentlessly attack their fellow Dem challenger and whoever wins will be weaken (e.g. having to spend money to win the primary), as well as not getting the required support from the losing faction in the General election.     All of these factors just increase the odds of the GOP candidate winning in the general in all put the blue\blue states. 

Sanders comments today about how the DNC elect their leaders is very telling.   Additionally he stated that he would not provide the DNC the list of his donors.   

Bernie doesn't want his donors (millions of little people) being lied to. That's a pretty good reason to not expose their names to the DNC - the DNC only wants to hound them.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account‏@realDonaldTrump 7h7 hours ago

Of course Trump is disappointed.  His candidate and that of the Republican Party (Ellison) lost.  That means the Sanders-Warren wing loses face since they came on so strong for Ellison before Perez was even in the race.

I am not disparaging Ellison and I think he has a lot to contribute to the Democratic Party, but he was the target the Republicans, their supporters, the corporations, the one-percenters, etc. wanted to be able to attack.

The next elections at all levels would have been about Ellison, his religion, his politics and his past instead of about the actual Dem candidates "from the school boards to the senate."