TomJH

Racism in Trump's America

705 posts in this topic

Trump, Hillary, Sanders, Johnson or Stein.

Wouldn't have mattered WHO won.  Racism in America will  unfortunately soldier on regardless of who's seated in the Oval Office.

It can't be legislated away, and those who ARE racist, and those who DISLIKE racism will steadily maintain their numbers.  Americans, despite anything else, are OBDURATELY consistant in our stupidity and arrogance.

We all too often allow ourselves to be influenced by many factions.  YouTube, Twitter, or any OTHER outlet we allow to do our thinking FOR us.

Sepiatone

Yet it also all boiled down to the electoral vote always favoring Rural over Urban votes and having more influence than the popular vote. Rural America (mostly the same race) voted Republican while Urban America (more integrated in race) voted Democrat. This was also how it was 16 years ago during the Bush vs. Gore race, although GUNS played a bigger role in that election with Gore frightening both gun owners and the military industrial complex.

Speaking of gun owners and the military industrial complex, Jimmy Dore is correct about war being all about money and fossil fuels, seldom terrorism.

The military industrial complex needs to keep the ammunition manufacturing. This is why the Republicans are obsessed with guns. When there isn't a war going on, money still needs to be made. 

Not sure we can say electoral college voting favors rural over urban since Obama and Bill Clinton both won by getting more urban votes than rural ones.  There are also plenty of urban votes that go for Republicans.

Ah, the military-industrial complex.  The fight over gun restrictions is not related to the MIC.  The MIC is all about MONEY and money buys influence with politicians.  The MIC is more about ships, airplanes, missles, tanks, bases, etc.  Think Boeing, General Dynamics, Ingall's Shipbuilding, Oshkosh Defense, Michellin, Halliburton, ad infinitum.  They have made sure that they have a presence in just about every state, if not Congressional District. Military bases are pretty much operated by civilian contractors. Add in the DOD civilians.

Tip O'Neal Democratice Speaker of the House) required that the Marine Corps purchase a type of aircraft they did not need nor want because the engines were made in his district.

Every county and state government is part of the MIC.  They are constantly trying to get or keep either military facilities or the factories that make the weapons of war.  The military is a part because they (like all of us) like new & better toys.  Not to mention the promotion potential of more weapons being deployed.  Example:  each air craft carrier requires a substantial number of support and protection vessels.  Lots of slots for senior officers.  Of course, all those ships require an admiral and each admiral has to have a staff of senior NCO's and officers and probably some civilians as well.  Same applies to Army, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard when they create new units.

The few companies that manufacture individual weapons (pistols & rifles) for military do care about civilian equivalents and ammunition sales. But they are a small part of the MIC.

Republicans support zero controls over guns because that is the way many of them were raised.  More importantly, that is what one of their core constituencies believes in more than God, Christ or The Bible.  Ignore them at your own peril.

Not sure we can say electoral college voting favors rural over urban since Obama and Bill Clinton both won by getting more urban votes than rural ones.  There are also plenty of urban votes that go for Republicans.

Ah, the military-industrial complex.  The fight over gun restrictions is not related to the MIC.  The MIC is all about MONEY and money buys influence with politicians.  The MIC is more about ships, airplanes, missles, tanks, bases, etc.  Think Boeing, General Dynamics, Ingall's Shipbuilding, Oshkosh Defense, Michellin, Halliburton, ad infinitum.  They have made sure that they have a presence in just about every state, if not Congressional District. Military bases are pretty much operated by civilian contractors. Add in the DOD civilians.

Tip O'Neal Democratice Speaker of the House) required that the Marine Corps purchase a type of aircraft they did not need nor want because the engines were made in his district.

Every county and state government is part of the MIC.  They are constantly trying to get or keep either military facilities or the factories that make the weapons of war.  The military is a part because they (like all of us) like new & better toys.  Not to mention the promotion potential of more weapons being deployed.  Example:  each air craft carrier requires a substantial number of support and protection vessels.  Lots of slots for senior officers.  Of course, all those ships require an admiral and each admiral has to have a staff of senior NCO's and officers and probably some civilians as well.  Same applies to Army, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard when they create new units.

The few companies that manufacture individual weapons (pistols & rifles) for military do care about civilian equivalents and ammunition sales. But they are a small part of the MIC.

Republicans support zero controls over guns because that is the way many of them were raised.  More importantly, that is what one of their core constituencies believes in more than God, Christ or The Bible.  Ignore them at your own peril.

By the way, I did more-or-less apologize for getting windy in my last post. Can't change it since it has been quoted in other posts already.

There was a popular documentary called Why We Fight that was all about the military industrial complex.

However I was going over the deep end a bit here.

It used to be that the only differences between Republicans and Democrats were economic ones mostly. Then McCarthyism made the former party the more committed against communism, although the Vietnam War escalated under Democratic presidents. It takes two parties to run a Cold War.

Yet so many of the social issues began with Reagan. Jerry Falwell and other religious figures had little interest supporting a presidential candidate prior to that time. It got worse after the Tea Party started pushing the party further to the right within the last decade.

many years ago I read a newspaper article about all these opinions that harry truman had about his contemporaries.

he called eisenhower a "weak field commander". :lol:

Yeah, and another General full of himself just like Patton and by the name of MacArthur once made the comment about Ike, "He was the best secretary I ever had", and to which Ike was reported to have relied after hearing of it that he had "studied Dramatics under MacArthur".

(...but what the hell does this have to do with the topic at hand here?)

Yeah, and another General full of himself just like Patton and by the name of MacArthur once made the comment about Ike, "He was the best secretary I ever had", and to which Ike was reported to have relied after hearing of it that he had "studied Dramatics under MacArthur".

Let me see if I can do something to get you back.

Truman desegregated the Armed Forces. That was the example that got things moving in the right direction. Eisenhower was against desegregation.

The only thing about race that I could add about MacArthur is that he had a non-white Filipino mistress, who I hope he did not leave behind in the Philippines.

Let me see if I can do something to get you back.

Truman desegregated the Armed Forces. That was the example that got things moving in the right direction. Eisenhower was against desegregation.

The only thing about race that I could add about MacArthur is that he had a non-white Filipino mistress, who I hope he did not leave behind in the Philippines.

Eisenhower actually used federal troops to desegregate Little Rock High School.  He thought he had negotiated a compromise with Gov. Faubus to enroll black students.  But Faubus betrayed him and let white "citizens" in Little Rock prevent the blacks from enrolling.

So, Eisenhower activated the Arkansas NG and also sent 1,000 paratroopers to Little Rock to enforce the Supreme Court's decision in Brown v Board of Education.

He may have been against the federal government forcing desegregation on the states.  Another component of the US' Federal v. States Rights system.

Eisenhower knew his constitutional role and Faubus was trying to upsurp it with state rights.

Eisenhower did what he had to do to uphold the Constitution and Brown vs. Topeka.

Eisenhower appointed Warren to the Supreme Court who ruled in favor of the integration of public schools.

Eisenhower said what he regretted the most as president was ever appointing Warren to the Supreme Court.

Eisenhower was not involved in any kind of promotion of civil rights, to him it was strictly a constitutional issue.

Eisenhower knew his constitutional role and Faubus was trying to upsurp it with state rights.

Eisenhower did what he had to do to uphold the Constitution and Brown vs. Topeka.

Eisenhower appointed Warren to the Supreme Court who ruled in favor of the integration of public schools.

Eisenhower said what he regretted the most as president was ever appointing Warren to the Supreme Court.

Eisenhower was not involved in any kind of promotion of civil rights, to him it was strictly a constitutional issue.

Eisenhower sent the Civil Rights bill to Congress and they enacted the Civil Rights Act of 1957 which established the Civil Rights Section of the Dept. of Justice.  Primarily re: voting, but that often is the bedrock of desegregation.

He was proably for desegration, but also wary of the controversy that would ensue.

Eisenhower was a good military politician and administrator, which is what he was for most of his military career.  He was not a battlefield commander.  Of course, battlefield commanders seldom understand strategy on a global scale and the political ramifications.  As in, yes we can defeat the Iraqi Army, but hey don't ask us what to do after that.

Eisenhower sent the Civil Rights bill to Congress and they enacted the Civil Rights Act of 1957 which established the Civil Rights Section of the Dept. of Justice. Primarily re: voting, but that often is the bedrock of desegregation.

He was proably for desegration, but also wary of the controversy that would ensue.

Eisenhower was a good military politician and administrator, which is what he was for most of his military career. He was not a battlefield commander. Of course, battlefield commanders seldom understand strategy on a global scale and the political ramifications. As in, yes we can defeat the Iraqi Army, but hey don't ask us what to do after that.

If Eisenhower had had the talent of Montgomery or Leclerc or Rommel or Patton, he would have been where they were.

But I would never denigrate the contribution of Eisenhower in World War II because he was the one who had to keep it all together between the generals and the civilian leaders. In some regard, he may have been the most important man in the whole operation. That took a special kind of leadership-- particularly dealing with so many different nationalities and most of all trying to control Charles de Gaulle.LOL

If Eisenhower had had the talent of Montgomery or Leclerc or Rommel or Patton, he would have been where they were.

But I would never denigrate the contribution of Eisenhower in World War II because he was the one who had to keep it all together between the generals and the civilian leaders. In some regard, he may have been the most important man in the whole operation. That took a special kind of leadership-- particularly dealing with so many different nationalities and most of all trying to control Charles de Gaulle.LOL

That was the genius of whoever appointed Eisenhower.  I assume it was George C. Marshall, chief of staff of the Army during WW  II.  He recognized that the politics and ability to work will allies was far more important than the ability to fight battles.  Patton would have been a disaster in such a position.  Marshall is often overlooked for his success in managing the Army and coordinating with the Navy before there was a DOD or Sec. of Defense.

• Like 1

Seems we don't have to wait until after the inauguration.

On last night's local newscast, there was a story about problems with racism at a Royal Oak, MI middle school.  Classrooms with students jumping around chanting "build that wall!" and persistent harrassment of Latino students.  And stories of a teacher commanding an African-American student to go in front of the class and, "Dance for us the way slaves used to for their masters."

And documented proof of the morning announcements ending with the "Mexican joke of the day".

HMPH!  Our tax dollars at work.  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Seems we don't have to wait until after the inauguration.

.  And stories of a teacher commanding an African-American student to go in front of the class and, "Dance for us the way slaves used to for their masters."

HMPH!  Our tax dollars at work.  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Do you have a link to that story, one think such a thing would go viral and EXPLODE across the country. :o

I hope its only rumor, if such a thing actually happened people will call for that disgusting teacher be fired ASAP!

Excerpt...

The video was recorded by Alicia Ramon's 12-year-old daughter. 

Question, where is it?  That is proof the teacher needs to be FIRED!  I can't think of anything more humiliating - parents of the children should boycott the school until steps are taken.

By the way fire this teacher.

ebcubt.jpg

Nothing really, just another prime example of "Message board ADHD".

I'll take this opportunity to slide in my favorite:  Truman once referring to MacArthur as, "That PRIMA DONNA Sonofab!tch".

Sepiatone

Excerpt...

The video was recorded by Alicia Ramon's 12-year-old daughter. 

Question, where is it?  That is proof the teacher needs to be FIRED!  I can't think of anything more humiliating - parents of the children should boycott the school until steps are taken.

By the way fire this teacher.

ebcubt.jpg

Why HAM! Gotta say I'm somewhat surprised you feel this about this scholastic practice of old!

(...guess you're not as much as one of those people who thinks "it was all better back in the day" than I THOUGHT, huh!) ;)

Why HAM! Gotta say I'm somewhat surprised you feel this about this scholastic practice of old!

(...guess you're not as much as one of those people who thinks "it was all better back in the day" than I THOUGHT, huh!) ;)

The glory days of corporal punishment. Ah, memories.

LOL

Yeah, and I'll bet YOU probably got YOUR rear end swatted by that nasty ol' Boys Vice Principal in his office even more than I DID, huh!

;)

LOL

Yeah, and I'll bet YOU probably got YOUR rear end swatted by that nasty ol' Boys Vice Principal in his office even more than I DID, huh!

Never my rear end, no.

And mostly it was strappings by a nun. Although in grade 1 I remember a pretty severe ear-twisting by a nun and in grade 6 a pretty good swat to the head with a hard book by a male teacher and in grade 7 a helluva wallop to the side of the head from behind (sucker shot) from a parish priest. There was a couple of rulers and pointers on the knuckles from a couple of female teachers but mostly it was the good old leather strap to the palm from the principal who was a nun. Got that annually at least. We called it "the slugs".

And I was a pretty good kid!

Catholic school was nuts for that stuff.

Never my rear end, no.

And mostly it was strappings by a nun. Although in grade 1 I remember a pretty severe ear-twisting by a nun and in grade 6 a pretty good swat to the head with a hard book by a male teacher and in grade 7 a helluva wallop to the side of the head from behind (sucker shot) from a parish priest. There was a couple of rulers and pointers on the knuckles from a couple of female teachers but mostly it was the good old leather strap to the palm from the principal who was a nun. Got that annually at least. We called it "the slugs".

And I was a pretty good kid!

Catholic school was nuts for that stuff.

Wow.

Ya know, the more I hear of how you guys were treated who went to Parochial schools, the more I'm glad I'm a graduate of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

(...'cause at least when the aforementioned Boys Vice-Principal walloped ya on the behind, it was all done in a systematic manner and lacking what appears to be the random knee-jerk fashion you experienced "courtesy" those, ahem, "people of deep faith")

Hard to forget when it hurts.  Ironically I've just seen a movie where a  school teacher was using the old method of spanking the hand with a black board pointer. OUCH!

nf0dxf.jpg

...And on it goes....

This morning I read that a NOOSE was found hanging in one of that school's restrooms.

Sepiatone

LOL

;)

Interviewed for a job as assistant principal at a middle school many years ago.  Primary job was to paddle children.  Spoke with principal and looked over their procedures.  Had recently completed a course on Public Education and the Law.  Their procedures were a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Fortunately I got a much better job.