TomJH

Racism in Trump's America

1,136 posts in this topic

...And on it goes....

This morning I read that a NOOSE was found hanging in one of that school's restrooms.

Sepiatone

Upcoming algebra test. :P

"News that the park named in honor of Yauch had been vandalized caused outrage and heartbreak on social media Friday, with photos shared on social media by New York Councilman Brad Lander and others showing children playing on equipment that had been defaced by spray-painted swastikas and a "Go Trump" message......

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/19/502710608/swastikas-are-painted-at-adam-yauch-park-in-nyc-but-kids-win-the-day?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2046

Washington Post article: "I voted for Trump! You Lost!" White Starbucks customer accuses barista of 'discrimination.'  Does the comment the customer made sound similar to what certain people on this site have said?

www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/18/i-voted-for-trump-you-lost-white-starbucks-customer-accuses-barista-of-discrimination/?utm_term=.ff4aabe5b60e&wpisrc=nl_p1wemost-partner-1&wpmm=1

Not just the blacks and Muslims...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/11/18/openly-gay-mayor-holyoke-receives-threatening-letter-you-are-going-down/R32wPx0cxP9Il3lcwXwGHP/story.html

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/sarasota-man-says-he-was-attacked-for-being-gay

http://usuncut.com/news/trump-supporter-tells-gay-man-new-president-says-can-kill-faggots/

What upset the mug in the latter report was the guy's rainbow sticker on his car. Apparently he should have used a "Hillary For Prison" one instead, since that is the more trendy one in Confederate Florida.

Talladega Police Officer Joel Husk was terminated Wednesday for violating the department’s social media and code of conduct policies, City Manager Patrick Bryant said.

Husk had posted several memes on his Facebook page, including one showing Michelle Obama and Melania Trump. “Fluent in Slovenian, English, French, Serbian, and German,” it said over Melania Trump’s photo. Over Michelle Obama’s, it read: “Fluent in Ghetto.”

OK, just IMHO,  Although I didn't vote for Trump, my reasons for it were manifold, and had nothing to do with anthing brought up here.

Voting for Trump doesn't make ANYONE a bigot, any more than watching the ELLEN DEGENERES show makes one gay.

Sepiatone

Voting for Trump doesn't make ANYONE a bigot, any more than watching the ELLEN DEGENERES show makes one gay.

Sepiatone

No but the people who voted for Trump still knew (no matter what their own reason for choosing him may have been) that they were voting for a man to become President who pandered to racists during the election and had had a highly questionable personal history when it came to African Americans before entering politics.

His appointments to top positions (Jeff Sessions as top law maker in the country, for example, a man with a troubling past when it comes to race relations) gives minority groups cause for great concern. Trump is being Trump. I think that he is being true to himself in his picks so no one should be surprised by them.

This is not a man naturally inclined to throw a blanket over a fire. His history is to throw kerosene.

• Like 2

No but the people who voted for Trump still knew (no matter what their own reason for choosing him may have been) that they were voting for a man to become President who pandered to racists during the election and had had a highly questionable personal history when it came to African Americans before entering politics.

His appointments to top positions (Jeff Sessions as top law maker in the country, for example, a man with a troubling past when it comes to race relations) gives minority groups cause for great concern. Trump is being Trump. I think that he is being true to himself in his picks so no one should be surprised by them.

This is not a man naturally inclined to throw a blanket over a fire. His history is to throw kerosene.

WHAT ABOUT RACISM IN CANADA?

Whatever racists we have in Canada keep it to themselves if they have ambitions to be elected. If someone up here is openly racist, very few Canadians will vote for that person.

• Like 1

Whatever racists we have in Canada keep it to themselves if they have ambitions to be elected. If someone up here is openly racist, very few Canadians will vote for that person.

Your country is thoroughly racist. You should take care of your own problems. You have no credibility.

Have you done your own search about Sessions? 

Canada has its well documented issues, too, regarding our indigenous populations and their sad histories of neglect, addictions and suicides. Stephen Harper, who has so much your approval, Jake, deliberately turned his back for years on what was happening on reservatives but our nation's shame in this regard pre-dates Harper. Time will tell if Trudeau will make some kind of difference with the neglect, as he promised to do during the 2015 election.

But when Canadians voted for Trudeau they were, among other things, voting for a betterment of our indigenous peoples. Can you say the same thing for yourself when you voted for Trump?

But trying to fling mud back is only a reflection of how uncomfortable you must be with dealing with racism in your own nation, I guess. Or maybe it's just your natural hostility and anger coming out again.

I'll say one thing, Jake. Unlike yourself, I have never stated that I am proud to be white on these threads. YOU are a part of the problem with a comment like that at a time of growing racial divide.

• Like 1

Your country is thoroughly racist. You should take care of your own problems. You have no credibility.

You do, huh?

I'll admit we're not the sorry joke that you and your country is - the laughingstock of the world now that your leader is a clown with his head on fire - but that's not something we would ever aspire to anyway.

Can you be specific about this so called great concern?     E.g. assuming Sessions is still the racist he was back in the 80s,  can you name 1 or 2 specific things he might do that would hurt minorities?

Yea,  he might not seek the justice dept. after police departments but under Obama there hasn't been much progress in that area (e.g. cases they said they would file never were due to lack of evidence or there being no case).     E.g. BLM has been very critical of the Obama admin.

Like I told conservatives when Obama was elected;  I believe one needs to wait to see what these folks will actual once they are in office.

Just read, The Maldives, one of the smallest countries in the world has racism.  Guess we don't don't have any hope.

Maybe Gilligan's Island is not? :huh:

The skipper practiced racism before the 3 hour tour started.    This is why there are only white folks on that boat!   :lol:

Can you be specific about this so called great concern?     E.g. assuming Sessions is still the racist he was back in the 80s,  can you name 1 or 2 specific things he might do that would hurt minorities?

Like I told conservatives when Obama was elected;  I believe one needs to wait to see what these folks will actual once they are in office.

It's not just Sessions. Michael Flynn, a man whose tweets clearly reflect Islamophobic viewpoints, as national security adviser. Steve Bannon, of course. There appears to be a disturbing pattern emerging in those Trump appointments that should be of concern for those hoping that he will become more moderate once in the Oval Office.

And all those who voted for Trump knew that they were potentially voting for this very thing to happen. Time will tell, as you said, James, for a final judgment. But right now it doesn't look good when Trump chooses to surround himself with that kind of thinking when he makes his decisions in the Oval Office.

• Like 4

It's not just Sessions. Michael Flynn, a man whose tweets clearly reflect Islamophobic viewpoints, as national security adviser. Steve Bannon, of course. There appears to be a disturbing pattern emerging in those Trump appointments that should be of concern for those hoping that he will become more moderate once in the Oval Office.

And all those who voted for Trump knew that they were potentially voting for this very thing to happen. Time will tell, as you said, James, for a final judgment. But right now it doesn't look good when Trump chooses to surround himself with that kind of thinking when he makes his decisions in the Oval Office.

I agree that there is concern,  but I also see that you are not specific about this  (but yea,  too early to tell and thus be specific).

This is the same thing the L.A. Times is now doing with about 25% of every so called news story related to Trump;  Reporting about all the fear and sadness but without being specific.     Guess this is just post election blues.

In addition Dem pols in CA are spreading some degree of hope but also not being specific.   E.g. the L.A.  Mayor and City Council saying they will do all they can to protect illegal immigrants but not being specific.   An independent legal review stated there was little to nothing local officials could do.    So again Dem pols are blowing smoke and misleading the illegal immigrant community.  

I agree that there is concern,  but I also see that you are not specific about this  (but yea,  too early to tell and thus be specific).

This is the same thing the L.A. Times is now doing with about 25% of every so called news story related to Trump;  Reporting about all the fear and sadness but without being specific.     Guess this is just post election blues.

In addition Dem pols in CA are spreading some degree of hope but also not being specific.   E.g. the L.A.  Mayor and City Council saying they will do all they can to protect illegal immigrants but not being specific.   An independent legal review stated there was little to nothing local officials could do.    So again Dem pols are blowing smoke and misleading the illegal immigrant community.  

yeah, what can they do?

instigate an insurrection?

Interesting post today:

"We hate Donald Trump like you hated President Obama."

However, we hate Donald Trump because he is racist, you hated Obama because you are racist."

Donald Trump is becoming a role model for young people in America. What he is modeling is racism.

Recently an 8 year- old black child was beaten so badly by a gang of white bullies, while standing in front of the school waiting for a ride,that he had to be hospitalized with a broken arm and a concussion.

The oldest white boy to attack was 13 and told him to go back to the cotton fields.

The reason the 8 year- old black child took such a beating was that he was trying to protect his 4 year-old sister who was also threatened.

These white boys are simply taking a cue from all the hate and racism spewed in recent months by Donald Trump and his buddy Steve Bannon.

We should never forget that kids are always open for Learning and when they're young they are so impressionable.

• Like 1

Donald Trump is becoming a role model for young people in America. What he is modeling is racism.

Recently an 8 year- old black child was beaten so badly by a gang of white bullies, while standing in front of the school waiting for a ride,that he had to be hospitalized with a broken arm and a concussion.

The oldest white boy to attack was 13 and told him to go back to the cotton fields.

The reason the 8 year- old black child took such a beating was that he was trying to protect his 4 year-old sister who was also threatened.

These white boys are simply taking a cue from all the hate and racism spewed in recent months by Donald Trump and his buddy Steve Bannon.

We should never forget that kids are always open for Learning and when they're young they are so impressionable.

Trump as a role model for white boys and teens?    I don't know.   Typically these boys have fathers that they know and grow up with so their dad is their role model.    

Just like Trump himself not being specific about anything and constantly changing his mind. Did he ever have any policy apart from building a wall, interrogating Muslims and forcing Starbucks to state Merry Christmas on their cups?

Why don't we all proceed during the next year like we are all in a fog? Plus side, marijuana will soon be legal and hopefully we can take enough to enjoy the trip and not feel the pain as much.

Just like Trump himself not being specific about anything and constantly changing his mind. Did he ever have any policy apart from building a wall, interrogating Muslims and forcing Starbucks to state Merry Christmas on their cups?

Why don't we all proceed during the next year like we are all in a fog? Plus side, marijuana will soon be legal and hopefully we can take enough to enjoy the trip and not feel the pain as much.

Yes,  when Trump was specific it was mostly crazy ideas just to throw his supporters red-meat.   Worked like a charm.

The bottom line being that on the issue of illegal immigration the courts have ruled that the Feds decide.   Liberal CA politicians know this but still deceiving the illegal immigration community by saying they will do 'all they can' when there is little to nothing they can do.

In addition the Feds can cutoff federal spending to sanctuary cities.    The day this is done,  those CA pols will fold like cheep suits.   To me a better strategy would be to make a deal with the Feds to grant visas to about 20% of the illegal immigrants with the Dems agreeing to assist the remaining illegal immigrants with self deportation back to their own countries.

OK, just IMHO,  Although I didn't vote for Trump, my reasons for it were manifold, and had nothing to do with anthing brought up here.

Sepiatone

Voting and watching are two very, very distinct things.  Voting for Trump is voting for a bigot, which is about as bad as being a bigot.

• Like 1

Trump as a role model for white boys and teens? I don't know. Typically these boys have fathers that they know and grow up with so their dad is their role model.

I can say you haven't been around a lot of working class and lower middle class white boys lately. A good percentage of them do not live with their father because of divorce. Usually living with a live-in boyfriend and that is not a role model for them or a positive experience.

When you say typically --you're probably talking about a different class of people.