TomJH

Racism in Trump's America

705 posts in this topic

I can say you haven't been around a lot of working class and lower middle class white boys lately. A good percentage of them do not live with their father because of divorce. Usually living with a live-in boyfriend and that is not a role model for them or a positive experience.

When you say typically --you're probably talking about a different class of people.

I don't know about 'a good percentage',   but I do know that for white kids the percentage of 'missing' fathers is a lot less than that for black kids.   A lot less.  

Donald Trump is becoming a role model for young people in America. What he is modeling is racism.

Recently an 8 year- old black child was beaten so badly by a gang of white bullies, while standing in front of the school waiting for a ride,that he had to be hospitalized with a broken arm and a concussion.

The oldest white boy to attack was 13 and told him to go back to the cotton fields.

The reason the 8 year- old black child took such a beating was that he was trying to protect his 4 year-old sister who was also threatened.

These white boys are simply taking a cue from all the hate and racism spewed in recent months by Donald Trump and his buddy Steve Bannon.

We should never forget that kids are always open for Learning and when they're young they are so impressionable.

Could be that the kids are acting out this way cuz they've bin hearing on a constant basis,(like a mantra or chant),from the Hillary campaign,Hillary supporters and most in the MSM,that Trump is a racist.

This lying accusation has bin constantly repeated for...geez,more than a year by now.The accusation has bin pretty well pounded into their young undeveloped and impressionable minds,and they,being kids,and being unable to think critically and independently,have come to believe the accusation must be true,cuz everybody whom the kids see as an authority figure are saying it,not to mention all the millions of Hillary supporters.

The kids hear the same message everywhere they go,on tv the internet mags and news papers.

Now that Trump is the prez-elect some kids may figure that it's ok to act out in destructive ways.

If my theory holds water then it is the fault of the radical left,MSM DNC,for continuously chanting their lying accusation w/o considering the damage their hateful rhetoric is having on young impressionable minds that have not yet developed the ability to think critically and independently.

I don't know about 'a good percentage', but I do know that for white kids the percentage of 'missing' fathers is a lot less than that for black kids. A lot less.

I wasn't aware we were discussing black people and black fathers.

In the last few years there've been a number of books published after the writer did research on the disintegration of the white working-class or lower white middle-class family.

I think it's a misnomer if we just use general terms and we don't talk about people from different class structures.

There are other demographics to talk about in American society in addition to race.

Two of the better well-known books on the subject is one by Charles Murray called Coming Apart, the State of White America 1963 - 2010. A newer book by JD Vance is called the Hillbilly Ellegy.

Murray is a well-known political scientist and the Crux of his book is that indeed the white people in the lower classes of our society is coming apart and their families are breaking up along the same lines as what you see in the ghetto-type black communities, in line with subjects like Teenage pregnancies,male unemployment and illegitimate children.

Vance is a young intellectual who speaks from not just research but from a personal perspective.

Locally we see a lot of crime from young white men who did not graduate from high school and seem to be aimless, especially with the meth epidemic in the Midwest.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there have been nearly 900 incidents of hate crimes in the first ten days after Trump's election.  I don't think this is a coincidence.  The rhetoric spewed by some of his supporters and white nationalists has made it OK for bigots to come out in the open.  Yesterday or today in Chicago at a Michael's store, a white woman went off on a sales associate and called her and her supervisor names, etc., and announced she had voted for Trump.  She was angry at another white customer who videotaped the event and didn't stand by her in racial unity (the video made YouTube).  Mosques are getting threatening letters, swastikas are spray painted on buildings, more kids are getting bullied at schools.  It would be nice if the president-elect of all the people came out forcefully and denounced this kind of behavior.

• Like 5

Could be that the kids are acting out this way cuz they've bin hearing on a constant basis,(like a mantra or chant),from the Hillary campaign,Hillary supporters and most in the MSM,that Trump is a racist.

This lying accusation has bin constantly repeated for...geez,more than a year by now.The accusation has bin pretty well pounded into their young undeveloped and impressionable minds,and they,being kids,and being unable to think critically and independently,have come to believe the accusation must be true,cuz everybody whom the kids see as an authority figure are saying it,not to mention all the millions of Hillary supporters.

The kids hear the same message everywhere they go,on tv the internet mags and news papers.

Now that Trump is the prez-elect some kids may figure that it's ok to act out in destructive ways.

If my theory holds water then it is the fault of the radical left,MSM DNC,for continuously chanting their lying accusation w/o considering the damage their hateful rhetoric is having on young impressionable minds that have not yet developed the ability to think critically and independently.

If it quacks like a duck, it walks like a duck and it looks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.

• Like 3

It's just like lynching. Was it the fault of some white bigots who

got a kick out of hanging black folks from a tree, whether they

were guilty of a crime or not? Hell no, it was the fault of leftists,

the MSM, and the RNC.

Senate Responds to Trump-Inspired Anti-Semitism By Targeting Students Who Criticize Israel-

"After Donald Trump’s election emboldened white supremacists and inspired a wave of anti-Semitic hate incidents across the country, the Senate on Thursday took action by passing a bill aimed at limiting the free-speech rights of college students who express support for Palestinians.

By unanimous consent, the Senate quietly passed the so-called Anti-Semitism Awareness Act, only two days after it was introduced by Sens. Bob Casey, D-Pa., and Tim Scott, R-S.C.....

“The definition will have a severe chilling effect on campuses, and that is the explicit goal of the Israel advocacy organizations who promote it,” said Liz Jackson, an attorney with the group Palestine Legal. “Student activists for Palestinian rights already operate in a repressive environment. If this bill passes, they will face the specter of federal investigation simply for engaging in criticism of the Israeli government’s abusive policies.”

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/02/senate-responds-to-post-trump-anti-semitism-by-targeting-students-who-criticize-israel/

• Like 1

Senate Responds to Trump-Inspired Anti-Semitism By Targeting Students Who Criticize Israel-

"After Donald Trump’s election emboldened white supremacists and inspired a wave of anti-Semitic hate incidents across the country, the Senate on Thursday took action by passing a bill aimed at limiting the free-speech rights of college students who express support for Palestinians.

By unanimous consent, the Senate quietly passed the so-called Anti-Semitism Awareness Act, only two days after it was introduced by Sens. Bob Casey, D-Pa., and Tim Scott, R-S.C.....

“The definition will have a severe chilling effect on campuses, and that is the explicit goal of the Israel advocacy organizations who promote it,” said Liz Jackson, an attorney with the group Palestine Legal. “Student activists for Palestinian rights already operate in a repressive environment. If this bill passes, they will face the specter of federal investigation simply for engaging in criticism of the Israeli government’s abusive policies.”

It is very sad that the Senate would limit free speech.    These limits have already occurred in CA in the University system.  

Both liberals and conservatives appear to have no problem denying free speech when it is against something they support.

• Like 3

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there have been nearly 900 incidents of hate crimes in the first ten days after Trump's election.  I don't think this is a coincidence.  The rhetoric spewed by some of his supporters and white nationalists has made it OK for bigots to come out in the open.  Yesterday or today in Chicago at a Michael's store, a white woman went off on a sales associate and called her and her supervisor names, etc., and announced she had voted for Trump.  She was angry at another white customer who videotaped the event and didn't stand by her in racial unity (the video made YouTube).  Mosques are getting threatening letters, swastikas are spray painted on buildings, more kids are getting bullied at schools.  It would be nice if the president-elect of all the people came out forcefully and denounced this kind of behavior.

he already has. :)

he already has. :)

Yes, he looked straight at the camera and said "stop it" like a big wimpy kid.  And that was AFTER he won the election with the deplorable vote.

• Like 2

Yes, he looked straight at the camera and said "stop it" like a big wimpy kid.  And that was AFTER he won the election with the deplorable vote.

Yes, he looked straight at the camera and said "stop it" like a big wimpy kid. And that was AFTER he won the election with the deplorable vote.

Trump said: " Stop It" --to his supporters who are committing hate crimes all over the United States. Instead of just 2 words, maybe you would have expected that he would give a speech and get serious about the matter like a real leader.

Just saying "stop it" never even stopped my Yorkshire Terrier from chewing up the carpet.

• Like 4

"In what is possibly the worst of the worst in the glorification of a hate group, television network A&E has announced their new show, “Generation ****.”

The network is expected to follow the lives of several families involved in the Ku Klux Klan, focusing on the public’s perception of them and their lifestyle. The show will be an eight-part docuseries released on January 10.

A&E says that they do not intend to provide the **** with a public platform, but by paying these families to appear on the show and broadcasting their lives into livingrooms nationwide, the show will intentionally or unintentionally normalize the hate group’s activities....

Rather than giving exposure to other marginalized groups that could use with some positive P.R., A&E is going for the hate-filled cash-grab. A&E is clearly turning to the the hate group because the trash television network has run out of addicts, ****, felons, hoarders, hicks who bid on storage containers,...

https://trofire.com/2016/12/19/ae-releasing-show-glorifying-hatred-generation-****-will-showcase-hate-group-affiliates/

"In what is possibly the worst of the worst in the glorification of a hate group, television network A&E has announced their new show, “Generation ****.”

The network is expected to follow the lives of several families involved in the Ku Klux Klan, focusing on the public’s perception of them and their lifestyle. The show will be an eight-part docuseries released on January 10.

A&E says that they do not intend to provide the **** with a public platform, but by paying these families to appear on the show and broadcasting their lives into livingrooms nationwide, the show will intentionally or unintentionally normalize the hate group’s activities....

Rather than giving exposure to other marginalized groups that could use with some positive P.R., A&E is going for the hate-filled cash-grab. A&E is clearly turning to the the hate group because the trash television network has run out of addicts, ****, felons, hoarders, hicks who bid on storage containers,...

If it worked for Duck Dynasty, it will work for the Ku Klux Klan.

As related to the original post on this topic,  what is the audience for such a show?   I assume it is red-necks (i.e. folks that have similar views and of course full on K members),  and others stay away.   That worked for Duck since they were K light,  but this new show?  

Even in the Trump era I don't see it doing well unless those that don't have that POV come to watch what they expect to be a train wreak (and if the show as too many of those it will turn off the loyal K fans). 

Trump said: " Stop It" --to his supporters who are committing hate crimes all over the United States. Instead of just 2 words, maybe you would have expected that he would give a speech and get serious about the matter like a real leader.

Just saying "stop it" never even stopped my Yorkshire Terrier from chewing up the carpet.

Do you still have the Yorkshire Terrier?

Do you still have the Yorkshire Terrier?

Princess is on-target here.   Trump should do a lot more than just say "Stop it'.    He should have a press conference.  At a minimum he should send out a tweet each time there is a major news story related to a hate crime.    If Trump can spend his time making immature tweets calling a labor leader a loser,  he can tweet about something important.

• Like 3

As related to the original post on this topic,  what is the audience for such a show?   I assume it is red-necks (i.e. folks that have similar views and of course full on K members),  and others stay away.   That worked for Duck since they were K light,  but this new show?  

Even in the Trump era I don't see it doing well unless those that don't have that POV come to watch what they expect to be a train wreak (and if the show as too many of those it will turn off the loyal K fans). 

I can see there being a substantial amount of "rubber-neckers" in the audience, the kind of people who like to see outrageous or offensive things, not because they agree, but because, like you say, they want to see a train wreck of some sort. We also have a great taste for voyeuristic "evil" and "evildoers" in this country. I look at the thriving audiences for Nazi documentaries or the 24/7 murder channels.

This will all depend on how they package and present the show's "stars" and what kind of personality they have. It will be too hard to judge before seeing a commercial or some clips of the program. Will they be presented as "monstrous and deplorable", or as just "plain ole folks with some goofy ideas"?

• Like 1

see: http://www.aetv.com/shows/generation-****/videos/official-first-look?playlist_slug=generation-****-season-1-preview-list

-I've always felt somehow that whatever goes through your eyes, like eating crummy food, is going to affect your mind AND body some way. So, yeah, WHATEVER A&E might profess their intention ro be, don't think they should be promoting this kind of thinking.....especially NOW!

I've seen enough

:(

Oliver Willis Verified account @owillis Dec 14

Here is a demand for a black newspaper in 1918 to report "both sides" on lynching. This isn't new. #BlackLivesMatterBlackHistoryMonth.png

CzpNCX-WQAAx_qr.jpg
52 replies 1,408 retweets 1,251 likes

• Like 1

-I've always felt somehow that whatever goes through your eyes, like eating crummy food, is going to affect your mind AND body some way. So, yeah, WHATEVER A&E might profess their intention ro be, don't think they should be promoting this kind of thinking.....especially NOW!

The above POV is insulting to viewers implying they are too stupid to see the truth.    The Times had an editorial article related to Richard Spencer and him speaking at Texas A&M.    The writer said we need to allow these people to speak as a way to expose them and we should have faith that the vast majority of folks will see truth (especially when there are other speakers that present an alterative POV).    It argues that to keep these people in the dark actually helps their movements grow.

The above POV is insulting to viewers imply they are too stupid to see the truth.    The Times had an editorial article related to Richard Spencer and him speaking at Texas A&M.    The writer said we need to allow these people to speak as a way to expose them and we should have faith that the vast majority of folks will see truth (especially when there are other speakers that present an alterative POV).    It argues that to keep these people in the dark actually helps their movements grow.

I tend to agree with your sentiments here, but I also have read cogent arguments that say we do a disservice by giving such people platforms for their views that perhaps give those movements more credibility than they deserve. We are creating a false equivalency that lends credence to the notion that all points of view are valid and have equal merit, when some really don't. I know that then it becomes an argument as to who decides what is "offensive" enough that it should be disregarded outright, and there are no easy, "black and white" answers to that. I would propose that any group that seeks to suppress or oppress or discriminate against people due to uncontrollable factors such as gender, race or sexual orientation (within the realms of consent) is a group whose opinions I don't care about. I still believe they should have the legal right to voice their opinions, but I also don't have a problem with private companies and/or institutions denying them a platform. You can join the Klan all you want, but TV stations have no requirement to air their rallies.

• Like 3

I tend to agree with your sentiments here, but I also have read cogent arguments that say we do a disservice by giving such people platforms for their views that perhaps give those movements more credibility than they deserve. We are creating a false equivalency that lends credence to the notion that all points of view are valid and have equal merit, when some really don't. I know that then it becomes an argument as to who decides what is "offensive" enough that it should be disregarded outright, and there are no easy, "black and white" answers to that. I would propose that any group that seek to suppress or oppress or discriminate against people due to uncontrollable factors such as gender, race or sexual orientation (within the realms of consent) is a group whose opinions I don't care about. I still believe they should have the legal right to voice their opinions, but I also don't have a problem with private companies and/or institutions denying them a platform. You can join the Klan all you want, but TV stations have no requirement to air their rallies.

The 'give those movements more credibility than they deserve' argument is a solid one      In the case of the alt-right,  if progressive really believe this movement was a main reason Trump won,  then by default this is a major movement.    The article said that such movements are like mold in that light and fresh air are effective in destroying them (or at least reducing their influence) and that being left in the dark can help such movements gain ground.  

A key point was that when they are allowed to speak,   there need to be a quick counter-movement.   This is what occurred at Texas A&M and in the opinion of the article Spencer and his movement were actually set back instead of gaining ground.

see: http://www.aetv.com/shows/generation-****/videos/official-first-look?playlist_slug=generation-****-season-1-preview-list

I've seen enough

:(

At least the start of the A&E show gives an opinion in the preview: "The following program explores how hatred and prejudice are born and bred in our country. It contains intense language and disturbing imagery. Viewer discretion is advised."

If I were a Klan member who thinks my society is just about segregation, not necessarily "hate", I might be offended.

I think it is wonderful that they are showing this right before The Inauguration. After all, HE was the one who coaxed a nice chunk of "hate and prejudice" all the way to the White House. So many people I know, including family members, voted for him (even though he lost the popular vote). They don't think of themselves as prejudiced. Yet they aren't likely to be prejudiced against either since they are American born, Caucasian, Christian and heterosexual. In other words, they don't have a problem if those in power are.

I remember watching a documentary about a Klan guy who

was trying to boost his profile and that of his rather small

klavern. This was at least ten or fifteen years ago. He'd

schedule a rally, drive up in his truck, put on his robes

and give a speech. Usually about two dozen or so folks

came to listen and about three or four times as many

came to protest. The whole thing was pretty pathetic and

you almost felt sorry for the humiliation this guy felt.

Almost.

No, no this isn't racist at all.  The Press is to blame for that misconception ...

Trump ‘friend’ and N.Y. campaign co-chair says he wants Obama dead of ‘mad cow disease’ in 2017

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/12/23/trump-friend-and-n-y-campaign-co-chair-says-he-wants-obama-dead-of-mad-cow-disease-in-2017/?utm_term=.43d81516fea2&wpisrc=nl_wemost-draw5&wpmm=1

Carl Paladino, a former Republican nominee for governor of New York and an adviser to president-elect Trump, included the death of President Obama and “return” of first lady Michelle Obama to Africa on his list of things he wanted for 2017.

Artvoice: What would you most like to happen in 2017?

Carl Paladino: Obama catches mad cow disease after being caught having relations with a Herford. He dies before his trial and is buried in a cow pasture next to Valerie Jarret, who died weeks prior, after being convicted of sedition and treason, when a Jihady cell mate mistook her for being a nice person and decapitated her.

Artvoice: What would you most like to see go in 2017?

Carl Paladino: Michelle Obama. I’d like her to return to being a male and let loose in the outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortably in a cave with Maxie, the gorilla.

In a statement to The Post, Paladino denied that the comments were racist.

“It has nothing to do with race,” Paladino said. “That’s the typical stance of the press when they can’t otherwise defend the acts of the person being attacked.”

Merry Christmas to you too, Carl.  Geesh.