Sign in to follow this  
rayban

Neglected Films With Gay Favorites

66 posts in this topic

It has been a long time since I have seen Ladd's version. I didn't really like it at the time. Can't explain why exactly. I remember he was good enough, but it was set up too much like other Paramount films of the forties with the story moving too fast like a standard murder/drama.

Also have mixed feelings for the 2013 version (Leonardo DiCapio), done too much in the styles of the past decade or two with insistent talk-talk-talk and cgi-influenced image overkill. Too many ridiculous high-up pan shots. Granted, it is still quite well-made and you must congratulate all of the hard work put into all of the period detail-work. None of the previous versions were obsessive about this.

In fact, one weakness with the seventies version is that some music is a few years too early for the early twenties setting and some of the fashions are a bit off. However this one is probably the best of the bunch. It is done in the style of Robert Redford's earlier The Way We Were with an overdose of soft focus, but that is something I actually like in that decade of cinema following the landmark family gathering scenes of Bonnie & Clyde. The trademark nostalgic "haze" was consistent with other memorable period pieces like Summer of '42, The Garden of Finzi Continis up through parts of Julia. Redford's Gatsby is nostalgic for something he can't have, trying to hold on to a "vision" of whom he loves but doesn't really love him back. I especially like the final climax on the pool with him in a dream state, ready to be killed when he is his happiest.

Both that version and the most recent do have that nice "gay" vibe, probably because DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire are bro-buddies and Sam Waterston and Redford certainly have a "chemistry" in the way they look at each other. I think Waterston has the best, very understated, performance. He observes with his facial expressions, not unlike the infamous eye glass billboard.

We only have the below trailer to get an idea for the '26 version.

• Like 3

It has been a long time since I have seen Ladd's version. I didn't really like it at the time. Can't explain why exactly. I remember he was good enough, but it was set up too much like other Paramount films of the forties with the story moving too fast like a standard murder/drama.

Also have mixed feelings for the 2013 version (Leonardo DiCapio), done too much in the styles of the past decade or two with insistent talk-talk-talk and cgi-influenced image overkill. Too many ridiculous high-up pan shots. Granted, it is still quite well-made and you must congratulate all of the hard work put into all of the period detail-work. None of the previous versions were obsessive about this.

In fact, one weakness with the seventies version is that some music is a few years too early for the early twenties setting and some of the fashions are a bit off. However this one is probably the best of the bunch. It is done in the style of Robert Redford's earlier The Way We Were with an overdose of soft focus, but that is something I actually like in that decade of cinema following the landmark family gathering scenes of Bonnie & Clyde. The trademark nostalgic "haze" was consistent with other memorable period pieces like Summer of '42, The Garden of Finzi Continis up through parts of Julia. Redford's Gatsby is nostalgic for something he can't have, trying to hold on to a "vision" of whom he loves but doesn't really love him back. I especially like the final climax on the pool with him in a dream state, ready to be killed when he is his happiest.

Both that version and the most recent do have that nice "gay" vibe, probably because DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire are bro-buddies and Sam Waterston and Redford certainly have a "chemistry" in the way they look at each other. I think Waterston has the best, very understated, performance. He observes with his facial expressions, not unlike the infamous eye glass billboard.

We only have the below trailer to get an idea for the '26 version.

There were definite "gay vibes" in the  DiCaprio-Maguire " Gatsby"

• Like 2

There were definite "gay vibes" in the  DiCaprio-Maguire " Gatsby"

That vibe generally starts when two guys get into the front seat of the car one wants to impress the other with. You know... "look how big the controls are".

• Like 2

Jack Clayton, who was such a talented filmmaker, made only a few films in his lifetime.

He was often uncertain about whether or not to do a film.

He also suffered a stroke, which took him five years to recover from.

But the film that I was talking about - "Our Mother's House" - has such similarities to his most famous film, "The Innocents".

• Like 1

Jack Clayton, who was such a talented filmmaker, made only a few films in his lifetime.

He was often uncertain about whether or not to do a film.

He also suffered a stroke, which took him five years to recover from.

But the film that I was talking about - "Our Mother's House" - has such similarities to his most famous film, "The Innocents".

I saw the trailer and it looks creepy and disturbing

• Like 1

"Susan Lenox - Her Fall and Rise" - Robert Z. Leonard - 1931

With Greta Garbo and Clark Gable -

Greta Garbo is, I think, a screen icon for gay men -

she was such a unique creation - her own? - or MGM's? - probably more her than them -

she was both beautiful and remote -

accessible and NOT accessible -

BUT THE WOMAN MADE A LOT OF TRASH -

this film is so "trashy" that it almost seems to be mocking itself -

and, so, it is a most fascinating "curio" -

and Greta Garbo makes it watchable -

her "presence" elevates the material -

and a young Clark Gable, in a realm of his own, almost a little too real for her universe, makes it watchable, too

proving, I guess, that, in the right hands, trash can work its' spell!

annex-garbo-greta-susan-lenox-her-fall-a

• Like 2

"Susan Lenox - Her Fall and Rise" - Robert Z. Leonard - 1931

With Greta Garbo and Clark Gable -

Greta Garbo is, I think, a screen icon for gay men -

she was such a unique creation - her own? - or MGM's? - probably more her than them -

she was both beautiful and remote -

accessible and NOT accessible -

BUT THE WOMAN MADE A LOT OF TRASH -

this film is so "trashy" that it almost seems to be mocking itself -

and, so, it is a most fascinating "curio" -

and Greta Garbo makes it watchable -

her "presence" elevates the material -

and a young Clark Gable, in a realm of his own, almost a little too real for her universe, makes it watchable, too

proving, I guess, that, in the right hands, trash can work its' spell!

One man's trash is another man's classic

• Like 2

"Her Cardboard Lover" - Norma Shearer and Robert Taylor - directed by George Cukor - 1942

It's a rather thin piece of entertainment with a very sophisticated veneer, which I am attributing to George Cukor himself.

Both Shearer and Taylor are extremely "magnetic" in terms of physical beauty and sexual allure.

It's also interesting to see how one gay man - the director, George Cukor - treated another man who's been reputed to be gay - Robert Taylor himself.

Lots of adoring close-ups, putting him in a negligee, building TWO comic scenes around his derriere,

awarding him the girl at the end.

But then that is the "problem" with the film - how could Shearer prefer George Sanders to Taylor - when the movie is so smitten with Taylor himself.

Taylor is a gift from the gods - wake up, girl!

582f95056138857bed19d17a1a4111d5.jpg

• Like 2

Whatever you may think of Josef von Sternberg's version of "An American Tragedy" - too "politically-motivated" - too "dry" - too "cerebral" - the lead performance by Phillips Holmes wafts through it like a breath of fresh air.  

However, based on von Sternberg's direction and Holmes' performance, the hero is both a tainted personality and guilty, too.

American-Tragedy-1.jpg

Matthew Modine in "Cutthroat Island" (1995), which is one of the cinema's greatest financial disasters -

telling a tale that is far too familiar - trying to find a hidden treasure - this one has a slight twist - Geena Davis seems to be "the man" and Matthew Modine seems to be "the woman" - this film is a constant assault on the senses - it never ever lets up, never, ever - 

how could Matthew Modine have gotten himself into such a horrible mess? -

BUT -

he was born to be appreciated by the camera - 

A GENUINE BEAUTY!

vpErPLPSy28Bsg1zHQv4BMI8WB1.jpg

• Like 1

Mathew Modine plays a high school wrestler in "Vision Quest" (1985) https://youtu.be/X9hWqa4xxZY

Too bad the writer felt he needed to include a gratuitous bit of homophobia when an older man makes a pass at Mathew.  Of course Modine only has eyes for co-star Linda Fiorentino but then there is also his bromance with Kuch played hunky Michael Schoeffling.

• Like 1

Mathew Modine plays a high school wrestler in "Vision Quest" (1985) https://youtu.be/X9hWqa4xxZY

Too bad the writer felt he needed to include a gratuitous bit of homophobia when an older man makes a pass at Mathew.  Of course Modine only has eyes for co-star Linda Fiorentino but then there is also his bromance with Kuch played hunky Michael Schoeffling.

Michael Schoeffling (more famously, of "Sixteen Candles") is the actor who became a furniture designer.

Matthew Modine's "Vision Quest" could not be forgotten.

eab8f10f30562d7f74437752d4eb9caf.jpg

Matthew Modine (Louden Swain), surrounded by Michael Schoeffling (Kuch) and Raphael Sbarge (Schmoozler).

That gay scene that none of us could forget - Louden, working as a hotel waiter, is propositioned by  a hotel guest:

visionquest_gay01.jpg

• Like 2

Michael Schoeffling (more famously, of "Sixteen Candles") is the actor who became a furniture designer.

Matthew Modine's "Vision Quest" could not be forgotten.

eab8f10f30562d7f74437752d4eb9caf.jpg

Matthew Modine (Louden Swain), surrounded by Michael Schoeffling (Kuch) and Raphael Sbarge (Schmoozler).

That gay scene that none of us could forget - Louden, working as a hotel waiter, is propositioned by  a hotel guest:

visionquest_gay01.jpg

Do you think they added the gay proposition scene because the movie is filled with homoerotic imagery? After all this is a movie about wrestling- the gayest sport ever invented- thank you ancient Greeks :)

• Like 1

Do you think they added the gay proposition scene because the movie is filled with homoerotic imagery? After all this is a movie about wrestling- the gayest sport ever invented- thank you ancient Greeks :)

Yes, I do, "Vision Quest" is flooded with homoerotic subtext.

It's a feast for gay guys.

Matthew Modine, Michael Schoeffling, Raphael Sbarge, and Frank Jasper!!!!

How many of us "saw it in the nude"?

Edward Albert, who gives one of the screen's most attractive performances - as a blind boy, no less - in "Butterflies Are Free", which was released in 1972 and directed by Milton Katselas -

baf3.jpg

• Like 2

Edward Albert, who gives one of the screen's most attractive performances - as a blind boy, no less - in "Butterflies Are Free", which was released in 1972 and directed by Milton Katselas -

Playwright Leonard Gershe was gay and had long term relationship with Roger Eden.

• Like 1

And from the original Broadway production, Keir Dullea (with Eileen Heckert and Blythe Danner):

2.jpg

• Like 1

And from the original Broadway production, Keir Dullea (with Eileen Heckert and Blythe Danner):

2.jpg

I saw the Broadway production, but, by the time I saw it, Keir Dullea had left.

Jeff Daniels and Kelly McGillis in Peter Yates' fascinating, yet unsuccessful political thriller from 1988, "The House On Carroll Street" -

201611_full.jpg

Judge Reinhold and Willem Dafoe in "Roadhouse 66" (1985) which was directed by John Mark Robinson -

two guys who are traveling separately through Texas get involved with a gang of rowdies who aren't above pointing a gun at you and then using it -

surprisingly, the two guys stay on and get involved in a road race -

they also take up with two pretty girls - 

this is the type of bromance that is definitlely hetero -

but it needed to be fueled by star power -

and, in Judge Reinhold and Willem Dafoe, the film has that kind of star power -

these guys are surrounded/invaded by a kind of toxic mascuilinity that is more frightening than anything in a horror movie, because it has no regard for human life, not in the least -

view_13_ROADHOUSE-66_jpg.jpg

• Like 1

This film could have beem a minefield of homoerotic obsessional behavior - but, interestingly, the opporttunities are never, ever taken.

Judge Reinhold and Willem Dafoe in "Roadhouse 66" (1985) which was directed by John Mark Robinson -

two guys who are traveling separately through Texas get involved with a gang of rowdies who aren't above pointing a gun at you and then using it -

surprisingly, the two guys stay on and get involved in a road race -

they also take up with two pretty girls - 

this is the type of bromance that is definitlely hetero -

but it needed to be fueled by star power -

and, in Judge Reinhold and Willem Dafoe, the film has that kind of star power -

these guys are surrounded/invaded by a kind of toxic mascuilinity that is more frightening than anything in a horror movie, because it has no regard for human life, not in the least -

view_13_ROADHOUSE-66_jpg.jpg

Dafoe when he was young was hot

• Like 1

"The Actress" - George Cukor - 1953 -

Tony Perkins' film debut - he is totally charming - you can only wonder, though, if George Cukor appreciated him enough - after this unexpected coup, he went to New York and auditioned for Elia Kazan to replace John Kerr in the long-running Broadway hit, "Tea and Sympathy" - he got the role of Tom Lee and his co-star was Joan Fontaine -

the film is a beautifully-realized study of a young girl who has fallen in love with "the theater" -

somehow, this one has fallen through the cracks -

but it was a fine beginning for the Tony Perkins Tribute -

his second film, "Friendly Persuasion", was a true triumph for him -

he received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor -

93b869f592f1b066284117206a1abe3c--jean-s

(Jean Simmons was just 24 (playing 17) and Tony Perkins was just 21 (playing a student at Harvard).

• Like 2

"Ice Follies of 1939" - Joan Crawford, James Steward and Lew Ayres -1939

a bad film - and a strange film - a marriage gone bad, and two ice-skating spectaculars - one in color -

yes, yes, it's one of Crawford's worst films at MGM and yet you can't take your eyes off it -

the homoerotic relationship between Stewart and Ayres is embedded in the material and yet it is barey hinted at -

believe it or not, Crawford and Stewart work well together -

and Stewart and Ayres always remain a possibility - 

2027e145db3423d2b67ce95dd6f4b75f--the-ic

• Like 2