Sign in to follow this  

The Most "Beautiful" Movie ever made?

88 posts in this topic

I nominate 1954's Cinemascope technicolor beauty "Saskatchewan" with Alan Ladd. The mountain ranges and lakes are truly beautiful, and God had to work overtime to create this natural beauty. Eye Boggling!

I like Jean-Luc Godard works,haven't seen contempt,seen King Lear (1987)&Made in U.S.A. (1966) ,have not seen the "day of wrath",heard it is a good movie.

in terms of non english works,I think Abbas Kiarostami's "A taste of cherry" is a great work.

thanks for reply

ISZebra

"I nominate 1954's Cinemascope technicolor beauty "Saskatchewan" with Alan Ladd. The mountain ranges and lakes are truly beautiful, and God had to work overtime to create this natural beauty. Eye Boggling!"

Umm, one little problem. Saskatchewan is actually one of the flattest, and least interesting provinces you are ever likely to see. It doesn't have spectacular mountain ranges, it doesn't even have spectacular anthills.

What, no sense of humor. I appreciate the soapbox of indignified morality of which you stand upon, seriously, you are upset by my comments? Wow, I am flattered that you actually took time to complain about a joke. Insulting me by saying I am not knowledgable is hilarious. I will tell you what I think is really ugly, the state with the worst educational system in the country, the highest amount of people living in poverty, and where the traitors flag (confederate) still is flying on some courthouses, and the second largest employer of illegal immigrants. Not to mention how Alabama still treats its' Black people with segregated proms, and communities. I am pretty sure that is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. Beauty however is subjective, if you actually paid attention to the thread, you would have noticed I stated in a previous post "the Sound Of Music", but I won't hold that against you considering where you live.

> Umm, one little problem. Saskatchewan is actually

> one of the flattest, and least interesting provinces

> you are ever likely to see. It doesn't have

> spectacular mountain ranges, it doesn't even have

> spectacular anthills.

Is that you Rex Reed? Thanks for letting me know I made the wrong choice. From now on I'll consult with you before I make any kind of choices. It must be nice having all the correct answers, what a responsibility. Could you indulge me when I choose "Saskatchewan" as my choice or else Alan Ladd and I will put a cork in your mouth and bury you with just your head showing in one of those Saskatchewan ant hills you seem to be an expert about. Like it or not it is still my pick! Thank you very much!

I don't know how old you are or where you live (as you've not graced us with your locale) but I do know one thing. You are among the most ignorant people I've come across in recent memory. If you'd already selected "The Sound of Music" earlier, why post two ridiculously poor films by John Waters and give no indication whatsoever that you were doing so in jest? Further, to pass judgment upon someone based upon where they reside and without having spoken to that person is about as ridiculous as it gets. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA and graduated with honors from Pennsylvania State University in 1983 after serving 7 years in the military. I moved South to escape the harsh Northern winters because they adversely affect my disability. For your own edification, the municipality in which I reside, is among the top 10 fastest growing communities in the country! Check it out for yourself if you in any way doubt the veracity of my statement. If you were to state fact rather than cliche, I might have a modicum of respect for you. There is not a single courthouse in the state that flies the "Stars & Bars" as they're known and your statement about more blacks living in poverty here than anywhere else confirms your ignorance. Visit Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago or New York sometime and then reconsider your statement. As far as employing illegal immigrants, the state that employs the greatest number of them is that bastion of left wing liberalism, California. If you want to blame someone for their presence here in the states (and the way you bring the subject up it sounds like you do because maybe one of them is putting your own job in jeopardy) look no further than Washington, D.C. where your legislature has failed miserably in coming up with a way to stem the tide. I apologize if I've used too many polysyllabic words to suit you but perhaps you can get someone to read this to you and then maybe you'll get the gist of it. Riley is an Irish name isn't it? You must have a tendency to drink far more than you should and live on potatoes, corned beef and cabbage, and maybe you're a cop walking a beat! See how foolish that assumption sounds? Now you know where I'm coming from. And as far as a sense of humor? I've forgotten more jokes, anecdotes and stories than you've probably ever heard, and I'm anything but a wallflower. My attendance at a party is always (and I mean always) well received. Put that into your proverbial pipe and smoke it!

Hollis (Who's not afraid to use his full name rather than the pretentious use of initials.)

I did a little checking, and found out that it is "in fact" Mississippi that has the nation's worst educational system. And no, you're not right. Chances are you've never even visited Alabama so your assessment of what the state is like probably comes from viewing films like "The Phenix City Story" and "Mississippi Burning" and assuming that all Southerners are exactly as portrayed on screen. You're reply is tantamount to a child going "Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah." I apologize to all my peers (whom you're not among) when I say (and I paraphrase former US Senator Bentsen) "Sir , I've known some intelligent people, and you are not among them.") Or more at your level, "What a maroon!"

Hollis

All you can do is name call and insult, you have attacked me 3 times when I have not attacked your person once, who is acting like a child here?. I attacked social problems in your state, yet you seem fit to attack me. You have made my point completely. Listen if you have nothing of substance and all you can do is hurl insults then you are living in the right state.Oh, by the way, I was born there and lived there as a child, you my good friend are a carpetbagger. (Not an insult, just good ol' southern slang that my momma used to say bout' Yankess who came down and took the jobs away from the locals)

You haven't attacked me? I have no sense of humor, preach from a soapbox and from association I'm a product of the "Old South" with all that implies. Go back and read your first response to me and again reconsider your statement. I'm not going to belabor the issue any further as you're no longer worth the time it takes to write these little missives. Besides, I illustrated the foolishness of judging someone without any knowledge of them with my reference to your apparently Irish ethnic derivation, now didn't I? If you've somehow misinterpreted it, more's the pity.

Hollis

One final thing as you've insulted me one more time. A carpetbagger? I've taken nothing away from anyone. I am totally self sufficient and resent your unfounded and unjustified slander. And why would a Southern employer hire a "Yankee" rather than a native son unless he were more qualified to do the job? Hmmm... makes one think now, doesn't it? I'm neither a psychiatrist nor a psychologist but you seem to exhibit all the characteristics of someone suffering from "self loathing." Perhaps you should consider getting some professional help. And please, don't refer to me as your "good friend" as I'm apparently far more selective in choosing my friends than you are, and at this stage I don't believe there's any basis for a friendship to exist between us, do you?

Grudgingly, but somewhat respectfully,

Hollis

Listen, you drew first blood, you have been making personal attacks on 3 posts towards me, and I make one! You have got to not let this type of stuff eat at you, really. I have no ill will towards you, carpetbagger is pretty tame, the only slam I made towards you, I would never presume that you need mental help, or any of the other barbs you threw at me. On that note, I bid you farewell, I am off to the sci-fi section. See Ya'

You are absolutely right! I'd forgotten just how incredibly beautiful a movie "2001..." is. It more than qualifies to be among the pinnacle of the film maker's craft. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it again this weekend. Thanks for your input.

Respectfully,

Hollis