Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

The Trump Tower Hillbillies : What in the World is the Matter with Trump Supporters? Are They Crazy?

477 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, TheCid said:

I think a lot of them say it is for economic reasons to mask the "societal"  reasons they really vote.  Trump and the GOP capitalize on that.

One of the things that made the economic miracle in US was the rise in unions.  Even those who were not in unions benefited from the increased wages and benefits all employers provided.  This gave the worker disposable income to make purchases from small businesses and to purchase products made by other workers.  Of course, the inability of Europe and Asia to compete after WW II also helped the American production economy.

While it took a while, more blacks and women also came into the working place and advanced to higher levels.  In 1965 I worked one summer for a major company in a big factory.  Blacks only worked as janitors and very few of them.  In 1969, I worked same place before going into the Army.  Lot of blacks in many jobs and my supervisor was one.

Of course people don't have to give a reason why they are voting for a certain

candidate, so in that sense it doesn't matter all that much, though some may

prefer to hide their reasons. Unions and the fact that the U.S. escaped the war

damage that many other countries suffered were important factors that will

not occur again. 

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Bill Maher had a great take on the wall tonight on his HBO show. "Let me add this, Trumpsters: You don't need it. Because everything that wall represents -- the bigotry, the racism, the ignorance, the paranoia -- is already in your heart. Yes, the wall has been inside you the whole time!"

Image result for bill maher real time

#SAVEUS

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:
11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Bill Maher had a great take on the wall tonight on his HBO show. "Let me add this, Trumpsters: You don't need it. Because everything that wall represents -- the bigotry, the racism, the ignorance, the paranoia -- is already in your heart. Yes, the wall has been inside you the whole time!"

#SAVEUS

I would agree except for the fact that american citizens living in new mexico, arizona and texas have known murderous violence at the hands of illegals. does maher say that their grief and suffering has no meaning because it doesn't help his side of the argument? I think he does.

liberal compassion and humanity on parade...

so beautiful.:wub:

On 2/3/2018 at 1:04 PM, NipkowDisc said:

I would agree except for the fact that american citizens living in new mexico, arizona and texas have known murderous violence at the hands of illegals. does maher say that their grief and suffering has no meaning because it doesn't help his side of the argument? I think he does.

What a joke! American citizens living in New Mexico, Arizona and Texas have known murderous violence at the hands of fellow Americans with guns. And conservatives won't do anything about it because as Obama famously said, they "cling to their guns and religion." And, of course, GOP politicians are beholden to the NRA. :ph34r:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jakeem said:

What a joke! American citizens living in New Mexico, Arizona and Texas have known murderous violence at the hands of fellow Americans with guns. And conservatives won't do anything about it because as Obama famously said, they "cling to their guns and religion." And, of course, GOP politicians are beholden to the NRA. :ph34r:

On 2/3/2018 at 12:04 PM, NipkowDisc said:

Las Vegas Massacre

The most murderous violence we've seen in this region was in Las Vegas last October when a rich middle-aged white American man  murdered 58 people and wounded approximately 850 people.

It looks to me with this kind of Carnage that we need to have some profiling of Rich middle-aged white American men at this point and later for the illegals.

#SAVE US

44 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Las Vegas Massacre

The most murderous violence we've seen in this region was in Las Vegas last October when a rich middle-aged white American man  murdered 58 people and wounded approximately 850 people.

It looks to me with this kind of Carnage that we need to have some profiling of Rich middle-aged white American men at this point and later for the illegals.

#SAVE US

And we were told a year ago that: "This American carnage stops right here and stops right now." One of Trump's first big promises -- it was from his inaugural address on January 20, 2017.

Image result for trump inaugural address 

• Like 1

Trump's core supporters won't reject him. It would mean rejecting their own values.

His voters never wanted him to keep his promises. They wanted someone who would believe in making them at all.

"....the back of the Trump base is not likely to break any time soon, because Trump’s supporters aren’t beholden to politics or logic. Instead, they are creatures of a group psychology dynamic more commonly seen in religious and fraternal organizations.

In the “communion mode” authority structure, described by Andrew Gray, people's recognition of legitimate authority is "based on an appeal to common values and creeds."

.... religious communion authority followers make contributions as a show of their values rather than to affect any consequence. That’s key to understanding Trump’s base because it means that contributions to the cause — whether money, posting on social media or voting — were unlikely to be influenced by whether Trump could actually deliver on his promises. ...

for those in communion structures, a belief that the group’s values are under threat or assault by larger, stronger forces dramatically increases followers' commitment. Therefore, the act of critics pointing out Trump’s failures could strengthen his standing if drawing attention to those failures are seen as persecution by outside forces (such as a “deep state” or a “fake news media”). ....

They recognize his legitimacy and follow him not because of who he is or what he does, but because of what they think he believes — and what they think that says about them. ....

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-core-supporters-won-t-reject-him-it-would-ncna846456?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

40 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Trump's core supporters won't reject him. It would mean rejecting their own values.

His voters never wanted him to keep his promises. They wanted someone who would believe in making them at all.

"....the back of the Trump base is not likely to break any time soon, because Trump’s supporters aren’t beholden to politics or logic. Instead, they are creatures of a group psychology dynamic more commonly seen in religious and fraternal organizations.

In the “communion mode” authority structure, described by Andrew Gray, people's recognition of legitimate authority is "based on an appeal to common values and creeds."

.... religious communion authority followers make contributions as a show of their values rather than to affect any consequence. That’s key to understanding Trump’s base because it means that contributions to the cause — whether money, posting on social media or voting — were unlikely to be influenced by whether Trump could actually deliver on his promises. ...

for those in communion structures, a belief that the group’s values are under threat or assault by larger, stronger forces dramatically increases followers' commitment. Therefore, the act of critics pointing out Trump’s failures could strengthen his standing if drawing attention to those failures are seen as persecution by outside forces (such as a “deep state” or a “fake news media”). ....

They recognize his legitimacy and follow him not because of who he is or what he does, but because of what they think he believes — and what they think that says about them. ....

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-core-supporters-won-t-reject-him-it-would-ncna846456?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

In other words, have a little Kool-Aid and willingly take all the crap that's coming your way.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

In other words, have a little Kool-Aid and willingly take all the crap that's coming your way.

I doan agree. alotta people support trump because they have had a bellyful of HS from career washington politicians.

we found a strong medicine in donny.:)

16 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

These days former Trump mistress, Miss Stormy Daniels, is getting more airtime than the current Mrs. Trump, AKA the first lady.

Good to see so many Trump supporters are now thinking like the French.   

Trump receives 80% approval from those who, like Jethro Bodine, got

themselves a sixth grade education.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Even Jethro would have been a better president than drumpf.

Jethro may not have been The Brightest Bulb on the Christmas tree, but he wasn't hateful and mean- spirited.

And Wee Doggies!  He sure was cute.

Jethro For President on The Possum  Party Ticket!

33 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Trump was also helped a lot by people like you that don't vote at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Much of Trump's support actually came from affluent people who wanted tax cuts. The working class wasn't as much behind him as the media likes to portray.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/?utm_term=.b75d293b64ea

12 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Much of Trump's support actually came from affluent people who wanted tax cuts. The working class wasn't as much behind him as the media likes to portray.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/?utm_term=.b75d293b64ea

I guess it all depends on how one defines 'affuent' (this analysis using >100K of income which in So Cal is upper middle class,  at best).    Either way,  enough of the middle class voted for Trump for him to win.   

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

I guess it all depends on how one defines 'affuent' (this analysis using >100K of income which in So Cal is upper middle class,  at best).    Either way,  enough of the middle class voted for Trump for him to win.   

The article uses the term "affluent" but I guess small business owners would be a more specific term to use.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Even Jethro would have been a better president than drumpf.

Jethro may not have been The Brightest Bulb on the Christmas tree, but he wasn't hateful and mean- spirited.

And Wee Doggies!  He sure was cute.

Jethro For President on The Possum  Party Ticket!

Yep. What voter could resist a guy who uses a rope for a belt?

Winning. 

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Trump was also helped a lot by people like you that don't vote at all.

How would anyone know which candidate non-voters helped? 

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yes. Clinton won the under $50,000 yearly income voters by rather large margins

while Trump won the above $50,000 by small margins. Clinton won the college

educated while Donny won those with less education. Kind of a mixed bag.