dfordoom

The Man Who Would Be King

14 posts in this topic

My pick for the greatest adventure movie of all time would be John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King. It looks magnificent, has a great cast (with Michael Caine giving one of his finest performances, and Sean Connery and Christopher Plummer also superb), and it combines adventure with an intelligent and moving story. It was material that was simply perfect for Huston, and apparently he'd wanted to do the movie for 30 years before he finally got the chance to do so.

Anyone else like this movie?

It is a very good movie. Caine and Connery are terrific, and the cutting of the bridge scene has always stayed with me.

The film doesn't seem to fit into the cinema of the late Seventies, which is when it came out, but it still managed to make a mark, which shows how good it is.

Freemasonry plays a big role in " The Man Who Would Be King " from a story by Kipling, a Mason. In " Across the Pacific " another John Huston film " the craft " is also mentioned. " The Maltese Falcon's " opening credits erroneously lists the

" The Knights of Malta " , as the " Knights Templar of Malta ", the modern day Freemasons claim descent from " The Templar's ". I wonder if any other Director has some many Masonic and pseudo - Masonic references in his films.

In " The Natural " Hobbs ( Redford ) plays for the " New York Knights ", another Masonic reference ?

The Grail Legends play a role in Freemasonry. Please see " Morals & Dogma " by Albert Pike, " Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry ", ' A New Encyclopedia of Freemasonry " by Arthur Edward Waite, and numerous other references icluding " The Secret Teachings of All Ages " by Manly Pamler Hall. " The Man Who Would be King ", also deals with a " Lost King " .

I like The Man Who Would Be King, too. Interesting angle about

the Huston references to masons....

Sounds like a research topic at UCLA Film School.

I did not think I would enjoy this movie when my husband told me he wanted to watch it (he has an old vhs tape he made from a long time ago)... I was surprised when I found myself getting caught up in the story. Very much enjoyed it after all...Hate it when I have to admit my husband was right!!! :-)

BUMP

Kathy, I'm so glad your hubby made you watch it!

The movie is just super, with outstanding performances by Connery and Caine....I don't know why it is one of my favorites, except that it tells a story of adventure, hubris and friendship as simply and elegantly as I've ever seen. The tendrils of the mysterious plot are caught up and explained in a most fascinating fashion. It just gets me, every time.

It was among the first two or three movie I ever got on tape, when VHS came out.

If I hear the tune of *The Minstrel Boy*, the first thing I think of is Daniel and Peachy......

The Son of God goes forth to war,

A kingly crown to gain;

His blood red banner streams afar:

Who follows in His train?

Who best can drink his cup of woe,

Triumphant over pain,

Who patient bears his cross below,

He follows in His train.

That martyr first, whose eagle eye

Could pierce beyond the grave;

Who saw his Master in the sky,

And called on Him to save.

Like Him, with pardon on His tongue,

In midst of mortal pain,

He prayed for them that did the wrong:

Who follows in His train?

A glorious band, the chosen few

On whom the Spirit came;

Twelve valiant saints, their hope they knew,

And mocked the cross and flame.

They met the tyrant?s brandished steel,

The lion?s gory mane;

They bowed their heads the death to feel:

Who follows in their train?

A noble army, men and boys,

The matron and the maid,

Around the Savior?s throne rejoice,

In robes of light arrayed.

They climbed the steep ascent of Heav?n,

Through peril, toil and pain;

O God, to us may grace be given,

To follow in their train.

The opening credits list Shakira Caine. I looked her up - she's Michael's wife. Never noticed that before.

I can't remember when, but I was curious about her, too, several years ago, and was surprised to find that she and Michael Caine were married. And what a long marriage it has been, and still is!

The pairing reminds me of Robert and Luciana Duvall, although the Caines have been together much longer.

My pick for the greatest adventure movie of all time would be John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King. It looks magnificent, has a great cast (with Michael Caine giving one of his finest performances, and Sean Connery and Christopher Plummer also superb), and it combines adventure with an intelligent and moving story. It was material that was simply perfect for Huston, and apparently he'd wanted to do the movie for 30 years before he finally got the chance to do so.

Anyone else like this movie?

gonna air Sat. 6-6 as an ESSENTIAL  :)

8:00 pm ET
B/W

129 min

TV-MA

adventure

Two con artists set out to take over a remote Asian land with a priceless golden treasure.

DirJohn Huston CastSean Connery , Michael Caine , Christopher Plummer .

8899.jpg