Sign in to follow this  
cinemaspeak59

GRAND CENTRAL MURDER (1942)

3 posts in this topic

I enjoyed this murder mystery.  It reminded me of the Thin Man series, only this time, Van Heflin and Virginia Grey embody the husband and wife wisecracking sleuths trying to solve the murder of a greedy and shallow theater actress who likes to steal tips from lunch counters, and has a special skill for wrapping men, rich ones, around her finger.

Patricia Dane plays the murdered actress, Mida King (her name references King Midas; everything he touches, or in this case, she, turns to gold) with plenty of sex-appeal.  Her story is told in flash-backs.  The men Mida ensnares know she's reprehensible, but her shrewdness at being both prim and vulgar keep them coming back.  Perhaps they think at some point, finally, their gifts of minks and jewels will convince Mida to go to bed with them.  Mida, however, as the sub-text hints, has no problem sleeping with a railway conductor or truck driver she finds attractive.

Connie Gilchrist steals every scene she's in as Mida's put-upon assistant, Pearl; and Pearl makes no attempt to hide her working-class background by the way she pronounces theater: thee-ate-er.  Grand Central Murder has a stagey but stylish production, and the movie works quite well as a clever whodunit.

I enjoyed this murder mystery.  It reminded me of the Thin Man series, only this time, Van Heflin and Virginia Grey embody the husband and wife wisecracking sleuths trying to solve the murder of a greedy and shallow theater actress who likes to steal tips from lunch counters, and has a special skill for wrapping men, rich ones, around her finger.

Patricia Dane plays the murdered actress, Mida King (her name references King Midas; everything he touches, or in this case, she, turns to gold) with plenty of sex-appeal.  Her story is told in flash-backs.  The men Mida ensnares know she's reprehensible, but her shrewdness at being both prim and vulgar keep them coming back.  Perhaps they think at some point, finally, their gifts of minks and jewels will convince Mida to go to bed with them.  Mida, however, as the sub-text hints, has no problem sleeping with a railway conductor or truck driver she finds attractive.

Connie Gilchrist steals every scene she's in as Mida's put-upon assistant, Pearl; and Pearl makes no attempt to hide her working-class background by the way she pronounces theater: thee-ate-er.  Grand Central Murder has a stagey but stylish production, and the movie works quite well as a clever whodunit.

Big fan of Van Heflin but I hadn't heard of this film or the one he did similar to it Kid Glove Killer.

I wish TCM would show these type of lesser known crime \ light comedy films.

Big fan of Van Heflin but I hadn't heard of this film or the one he did similar to it Kid Glove Killer.

I wish TCM would show these type of lesser known crime \ light comedy films.

They did have Grand Central Murder on a few years back