mr6666

Trump & International politics

317 posts in this topic

Donald Trump’s Phone Conversation With the Leader of Pakistan Was Reckless and Bizarre-

"...the relationship between India and Pakistan, South Asia’s nuclear-armed nemeses. Any world leader approaching the issue even obliquely must surely see the “Handle With Care” label from miles away, given the possibility of nuclear conflict.

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, however, doesn’t seem to have read the memo,...

http://time.com/4587069/donald-trump-pakistan-phone-call-nawaz-sharif/

-Electing a president who doesn’t know what he’s doing carries real consequences.

:blink:

• Like 2

Trump’s Breezy Calls to World Leaders Leave Diplomats Aghast-

"In the calls, he voiced admiration for one of the world’s most durable despots, the president of Kazakhstan, and said he hoped to visit a country, Pakistan, that President Obama has steered clear of during nearly eight years in office.

Mr. Trump told the British prime minister, Theresa May, “If you travel to the U.S., you should let me know,” an offhand invitation that came only after he spoke to nine other leaders. He later compounded it by saying on Twitter that Britain should name the anti-immigrant leader Nigel Farage its ambassador to Washington, a startling break with diplomatic protocol...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/us/politics/trumps-off-the-cuff-remarks-to-world-leaders-leave-diplomats-aghast.html

• Like 1

Trump’s Breezy Calls to World Leaders Leave Diplomats Aghast-

"In the calls, he voiced admiration for one of the world’s most durable despots, the president of Kazakhstan, and said he hoped to visit a country, Pakistan, that President Obama has steered clear of during nearly eight years in office.

Mr. Trump told the British prime minister, Theresa May, “If you travel to the U.S., you should let me know,” an offhand invitation that came only after he spoke to nine other leaders. He later compounded it by saying on Twitter that Britain should name the anti-immigrant leader Nigel Farage its ambassador to Washington, a startling break with diplomatic protocol...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/us/politics/trumps-off-the-cuff-remarks-to-world-leaders-leave-diplomats-aghast.html

A few days ago I saw a piece on the BBC about Trump demanding that Great Britain appoint Nigel Farage as the British ambassador to the United States.

They were shocked, but at the same time the British government did respond publicly that the position was already taken.

Some Tory cabinet ministers felt that a foreign government should never be in a position to decide who would be the best representative for the United Kingdom.

• Like 1

Donald Trump risks China rift with Taiwan call-

Donald Trump risks opening up a major diplomatic dispute with China before he has even been inaugurated after speaking on the telephone on Friday with Tsai Ing-wen, the president of Taiwan.

The call, confirmed by four people, is believed to be the first between a US president or president-elect and a leader of Taiwan since diplomatic relations between the two were cut in 1979...

“The Chinese leadership will see this as a highly provocative action, of historic proportions,” said Evan Medeiros, former Asia director at the White House national security council, who now heads Asia research at Eurasia Group....

The Philippines government said on Friday that Mr Trump had invited the country’s president, Rodrigo Duterte, to visit the White House next year during a call between the two men.

Since taking office earlier this year, Mr Duterte has threatened to tear up major parts of the military alliance with the US,...

https://www.ft.com/content/fd19907e-b8d4-11e6-961e-a1acd97f622d

:wacko:

• Like 3

Well FIRST, does it really surprise anyone with at least an IQ of over 100 that Donny Boy's first foray into the international diplomatic scene reeks of Eddie Haskell telling Beaver and Wally's mother, "My, Mrs. Cleaver, but you look especially lovely today!"?

And secondly, what does this really matter to all the people who bought into the idea that Donny Boy was going to "make America great again", and considering as most of those types do that "India and Pakistan are way over there on the opposite side of the world". Both countries, which of course, these types would probably find hard to place on a world atlas.

And THIRDLY, well, let's just say that the idea of these various counties' leaders being as gullible as the average American and NOT realizing that Donny Boy's juvenile "glad-handing" to them is just THAT and not realizing that he doesn't really mean anything he says to them IS quite a reach in logic, I'd say.

(...and so what's all this fuss all about again???!!!)

LOL <--yes, once again I'm laughing at my own jokes around here again, people. LIVE WITH IT!!!

LOL...even MORE now!

• Like 1

Rachel puts me in stitches. She now has an axe to grind, much as Bill O'Reilly always does when those liberal "secular progressives" refuse to wave The Flag and say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays". I love how Rachel begins this piece "Behold the great Kremlin palace" over a shot of the US Capitol building. She is ssssooooo cheeky!

• Like 2

Rachel puts me in stitches. She now has an axe to grind, much as Bill O'Reilly always does when those liberal "secular progressives" refuse to wave The Flag and say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays". I love how Rachel begins this piece "Behold the great Kremlin palace" over a shot of the US Capitol building. She is ssssooooo cheeky!

And no matter what I'm doing when it comes time for her show, I always stop and check-out at least the intro because they are so far-fetched and educational - - you just have to wait and see how she's going to relate that to current events today.

I truly believe she could have been a fine actress if she had not decided to be an advocate journalist.

Dargo,

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump spent most of his time sunning at his hotels and Golf Resorts, why Mike Pence works away in the Oval Office trying to fill all the commands from the bigwigs of the Republican party and Breitbart.

Maybe Mike Pence can get Dick Cheney's Oval Office drapes out of storage.

And no matter what I'm doing when it comes time for her show, I always stop and check-out at least the intro because they are so far-fetched and educational - - you just have to wait and see how she's going to relate that to current events today.

I truly believe she could have been a fine actress if she had not decided to be an advocate journalist.

Yeah... she loves her history. Sometimes the stories don't QUITE fit with the present situation, but they are still fun.

Donald Trump risks China rift with Taiwan call-

Donald Trump risks opening up a major diplomatic dispute with China before he has even been inaugurated after speaking on the telephone on Friday with Tsai Ing-wen, the president of Taiwan.

The call, confirmed by four people, is believed to be the first between a US president or president-elect and a leader of Taiwan since diplomatic relations between the two were cut in 1979...

“The Chinese leadership will see this as a highly provocative action, of historic proportions,” said Evan Medeiros, former Asia director at the White House national security council, who now heads Asia research at Eurasia Group....

The Philippines government said on Friday that Mr Trump had invited the country’s president, Rodrigo Duterte, to visit the White House next year during a call between the two men.

Since taking office earlier this year, Mr Duterte has threatened to tear up major parts of the military alliance with the US,...

https://www.ft.com/content/fd19907e-b8d4-11e6-961e-a1acd97f622d

:wacko:

rodrigo duterte is a good guy with zero-tolerance of drug pushers and whatta the chi-comms gonna do? refuse to send us anymore fried rice and fortune cookies? :lol:

rodrigo duterte is a good guy with zero-tolerance of drug pushers and whatta the chi-comms gonna do? refuse to send us anymore fried rice and fortune cookies? :lol:

Oh Nippy. Like Trump, you leave me speechless. The last time I was in China, I didn't have any fortune cookies. Just more peanuts than I ever ate in Jimmy Carter's Georgia. 

• Like 1

Dargo,

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump spent most of his time sunning at his hotels and Golf Resorts, why Mike Pence works away in the Oval Office trying to fill all the commands from the bigwigs of the Republican party and Breitbart.

Maybe Mike Pence can get Dick Cheney's Oval Office drapes out of storage.

OH! You mean kind'a like back in the late-'80s and when his financial backers took away control of his financial empire, placed him on a limited budget and used his name-recognition in efforts to keep it all afloat? Yeah, like some sort of a "figurehead" kind'a thing? Yeah, like, say, the way they use that Queen of theirs over in the land of the superfluous-u users?

(...yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see it comin' to somethin' like that at all, Princess baby!!!)

;)

LOL 

• Like 1

Thanks for this.  I have never seen Rachel Maddox.  She's pretty good.  Some interesting points are that America still has not come to terms with how Russia helped Trump win the election.

But the granddaddy is this letter from 6 senators on the Intelligence committee urging Obama to declassify information that it has on the Russian hacks.  Interestingly, Republicans on the committee did not join in on this open letter to the president when invited.  The Senators cannot talk about the revelations until it is declassified.  Rachel's pundit on the show speculated that unlike James Comey, Obama did not wish to interfere in the election by releasing details of the Russian hack as it clearly showed that they wanted Trump to win.  But now that the election is over the public has the right to know what went on.

Not mentioned but clearly on the table is Guiliani's boast pre wiki leaks that something 'big' was coming and the Russians admitting that they were in touch with the Trump campaign.

This could be the biggest story of the election.  But can America handle the truth?

• Like 2

Thanks for this.  I have never seen Rachel Maddox.  She's pretty good.  Some interesting points are that America still has not come to terms with how Russia helped Trump win the election.

But the granddaddy is this letter from 6 senators on the Intelligence committee urging Obama to declassify information that it has on the Russian hacks.  Interestingly, Republicans did not join in on this open letter to the president when invited.  Rachel's pundit on the show speculated that unlike James Comey, Obama did not wish to interfere in the election by releasing details of the Russian hack as it clearly showed that they wanted Trump to win.  But now that the election is over the public has the right to know what went on.

Not mentioned but clearly on the table is Guiliani's boast pre wiki leaks that something 'big' was coming and the Russians admitting that they were in touch with the Trump campaign.

Rachel IS a bit of a "leftie"... and a happy lesbian whom Mike Pence should just give up trying to "straighten out" with any conversion therapy. She is the polar opposite of Fox's Bill O'Reilly, who is equally a history buff but, like most conservatives, focuses mostly on the word "Killing".

It is well known that some of the biggest names involved with the Trump campaign have friendly ties with Putin. Micheal Flynn had no shame to his game when he attended a gala event in Russia. While Trump himself may not have met Putin "in person" prior to Election Day, there was definitely some contact and Putin was among the first he called after he won without any clearance a.k.a. the Pakistan and Taiwan situations. Those who love Trump will probably argue that this is a GOOD thing for US-Russian relations, especially considering how angry Putin was about Obama and UN reactions to his strategies in Syria.

Back in August, TIME's Jeff Nesbitt went into detail about the curious Trump/Putin situation: http://time.com/4433880/donald-trump-ties-to-russia/

Of course, Hillary even brought up Trump's love affair with Russia in the debates. However it is apparent that this is NOT a major worry of the average American voter. For some reason, NOTHING about Trump is all that troubling to average Americans. Just us left-leaning movie buffs posting on forums like this. Then again, I don't think all who voted for him this election are certain where Russia is located on a map, except it is somewhere near Sarah Palin's back yard.

Another story worth telling is the actual number of Breitbart members who have held recent positions in the FBI and just might... or might not... have been talking in James Comey's ear during the final stretch of the election. It all boils down to politics and these days Watergate is conducted in a more cyber way. Now that the FBI's powers over all of our own personal computers, cell phones and other electrical connections has been increased, even though Trump has yet to take office, the sky is the limit as far as what can be done.

• Like 1

Rachel IS a bit of a "leftie"... and a happy lesbian whom Mike Pence should just give up trying to "straighten out" with any conversion therapy. She is the polar opposite of Fox's Bill O'Reilly, who is equally a history buff but, like most conservatives, focuses mostly on the word "Killing".

It is well known that some of the biggest names involved with the Trump campaign have friendly ties with Putin. Micheal Flynn had no shame to his game when he attended a gala event in Russia. While Trump himself may not have met Putin "in person" prior to Election Day, there was definitely some contact and Putin was among the first he called after he won without any clearance a.k.a. the Pakistan and Taiwan situations. Those who love Trump will probably argue that this is a GOOD thing for US-Russian relations, especially considering how angry Putin was about Obama and UN reactions to his strategies in Syria.

Back in August, TIME's Jeff Nesbitt went into detail about the curious Trump/Putin situation: http://time.com/4433880/donald-trump-ties-to-russia/

Of course, Hillary even brought up Trump's love affair with Russia in the debates. However it is apparent that this is NOT a major worry of the average American voter. For some reason, NOTHING about Trump is all that troubling to average Americans. Just us left-leaning movie buffs posting on forums like this. Then again, I don't think all who voted for him this election are certain where Russia is located on a map, except it is somewhere near Sarah Palin's back yard.

Another story worth telling is the actual number of Breitbart members who have held recent positions in the FBI and just might... or might not... have been talking in James Comey's ear during the final stretch of the election. It all boils down to politics and these days Watergate is conducted in a more cyber way. Now that the FBI's powers over all of our own personal computers, cell phones and other electrical connections has been increased, even though Trump has yet to take office, the sky is the limit as far as what can be done.

Trump has not even taken office yet, and he's already showing how dangerous he is. He apparently is willing to go to war with China. He's already p***ing them off.

• Like 1

But ultimately boring.  She does present interesting topics, but is extremely repetitive in what she says and has God awful long commercial and teaser breaks.  Her program could be very easily boiled down to 15 minutes.

I have watched her periodically over the past several years.  She has always had an axe to grind in that period - she strongly dislikes conservatives and the Republican Party.

If not watching something else at 9:00 PM, I may check out the opening.  Unfortunately it usually takes her 10-15 minutes to get to the point, by which time she has usually lost me as a viewer.

Much like Trump, she is an entertainer.

As for the Taiwan phone call, Trump's Twitter defense is that she called him.  As if she has his direct number and he does not have people answering the phone that could have told her he was not available.

Trump has not even taken office yet, and he's already showing how dangerous he is. He apparently is willing to go to war with China. He's already p***ing them off.

yeah, we doan wanna **** off a country that is taking american labor and manufacturing to the cleaners.

globalism before everything including ourselves.

that's why trump is in.

But ultimately boring. She does present interesting topics, but is extremely repetitive in what she says and has God awful long commercial and teaser breaks. Her program could be very easily boiled down to 15 minutes.

I have watched her periodically over the past several years. She has always had an axe to grind in that period - she strongly dislikes conservatives and the Republican Party.

If not watching something else at 9:00 PM, I may check out the opening. Unfortunately it usually takes her 10-15 minutes to get to the point, by which time she has usually lost me as a viewer.

As for the Taiwan phone call, Trump's Twitter defense is that she called him. As if she has his direct number and he does not have people answering the phone that could have told her he was not available.

What you call an axe to grind, I call advocacy. She has a point to make and she's going to stress that point and give enough examples to get her message through.

You probably already have your own opinion on the subject or you're against her opinion.

She sees her job as a person who is molding public opinion according to the facts as she has presented them.

And she's very good at what she does.

The fact that she presents herself as an open lesbian makes her advocacy look all the more courageous to me.

What you call an axe to grind, I call advocacy. She has a point to make and she's going to stress that point and give enough examples to get her message through.

You probably already have your own opinion on the subject or you're against her opinion.

She sees her job as a person who is molding public opinion according to the facts as she has presented them.

And she's very good at what she does.

The fact that she presents herself as an open lesbian makes her advocacy look all the more courageous to me.

Yea,  Cid doesn't like the Maddow show because he is homophobic as well as a conservative.

Yea,  that has to be it based on what he posted here.     :blink:

But ultimately boring.  She does present interesting topics, but is extremely repetitive in what she says and has God awful long commercial and teaser breaks.  Her program could be very easily boiled down to 15 minutes.

I have watched her periodically over the past several years.  She has always had an axe to grind in that period - she strongly dislikes conservatives and the Republican Party.

If not watching something else at 9:00 PM, I may check out the opening.  Unfortunately it usually takes her 10-15 minutes to get to the point, by which time she has usually lost me as a viewer.

As for the Taiwan phone call, Trump's Twitter defense is that she called him.  As if she has his direct number and he does not have people answering the phone that could have told her he was not available.

Sorry to temporarily go off topic on "international" Trumpism and going back to "national" a.k.a. California Trumpism.

I can only imagine your opinion of these folks, who lean even further left and have a BIGGER axe to grind. This video is the funniest of the recent crop. Ana has completely gone bonkers over all of the Trump voters. "They want BS to reinforce what they WANT to believe!!!!!"

• Like 4

Sorry to temporarily go off topic on "international" Trumpism and going back to "national" a.k.a. California Trumpism.

I can only imagine your opinion of these folks, who lean even further left and have a BIGGER axe to grind. This video is the funniest of the recent crop. Ana has completely gone bonkers over all of the Trump voters. "They want BS to reinforce what they WANT to believe!!!!!"

I guess it always boils down to your motivation and perspective--

One person's axe maybe the other person's Bible.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you!

• Like 1

While as a practical matter it's not a good idea to **** off the

Chinese, it is good to see Donny giving them a bit of a shot.

It's still an oppressive government.

While as a practical matter it's not a good idea to **** off the

Chinese, it is good to see Donny giving them a bit of a shot.

It's still an oppressive government.

Then Trump says he is going to get rid of the troops and weapons in South Korea and Japan.

Do you think he has thought this thing through?