mr6666

Trump & International politics

574 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

22 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

And the Russian incursion into the Ukraine.

Almost everyone saw this one coming - or should have.  After all, Great Britain pretty much abandoned Hong Kong when they pulled out.  The agreement with China was not much more than a cover to get out just as the agreement the US had with Vietnam to pull out there.  I'm surprised it took so long for China to do it.  Incidentally, Hong Kong is a city, not a country as is Poland.

As for Trump's response, poor, but not really a lot else he can do. What are the other nations of the world doing about it?  He is already losing the tariff war with China and there are no military options.

As for Ukraine, unless I missed something that happened under Obama's watch.  While it has probably grown, not a lot more we can do there either.  Although Trump does seem to be backing off what actions have been taking - or would if he could get away with it.

36 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Incidentally, Hong Kong is a city, not a country as is Poland.

Who was this comment directed towards?   

I ask,  because I'm curious who you believe didn't know that Hong Kong is a city,  and not a country.

(I didn't open the link,  so it could be this Diehl).

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Almost everyone saw this one coming - or should have.  After all, Great Britain pretty much abandoned Hong Kong when they pulled out.  The agreement with China was not much more than a cover to get out just as the agreement the US had with Vietnam to pull out there.  I'm surprised it took so long for China to do it.  Incidentally, Hong Kong is a city, not a country as is Poland.

As for Trump's response, poor, but not really a lot else he can do. What are the other nations of the world doing about it?  He is already losing the tariff war with China and there are no military options.

As for Ukraine, unless I missed something that happened under Obama's watch.  While it has probably grown, not a lot more we can do there either.  Although Trump does seem to be backing off what actions have been taking - or would if he could get away with it.

It has to do with trump wanting to put Russia back into the G7 oh, that's the reason they're not in there now.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Who was this comment directed towards?   

I ask,  because I'm curious who you believe didn't know that Hong Kong is a city,  and not a country.

(I didn't open the link,  so it could be this Diehl).

Princess.  To clarify that invasion of Ukraine is different form China exerting authority over a city that it "owns."

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

It has to do with trump wanting to put Russia back into the G7 oh, that's the reason they're not in there now.

I don't understand what this has to do with Trump's response to the Hong Kong situation.  

26 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Princess.  To clarify that invasion of Ukraine is different form China exerting authority over a city that it "owns."

The transfer of Hong Kong to China came with a whole bunch of democratic freedom obligations.  The protestors rightfully think they have been sold out.  Even the Mayor of HK now concedes it was wrong to impose an extradition order to the mainland.

15 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

The transfer of Hong Kong to China came with a whole bunch of democratic freedom obligations.  The protestors rightfully think they have been sold out.  Even the Mayor of HK now concedes it was wrong to impose an extradition order to the mainland.

The British government knew full well that this would happen eventually.  Just as Nixon, Kissinger and US government knew that North Vietnam would eventually take over South Vietnam. 

It is stupid to expect a nation to gain legitimate control over disputed land and then not try to exert its form of government.

The protestors have been sold out, but that's life.  

Incidentally I am not saying I approve of what the Chinese government is doing or do not sympathize with the protestors, but there is not a lot the US can do, if anything.  So don't blame Trump.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

The British government knew full well that this would happen eventually.  Just as Nixon, Kissinger and US government knew that North Vietnam would eventually take over South Vietnam. 

It is stupid to expect a nation to gain legitimate control over disputed land and then not try to exert its form of government.

The protestors have been sold out, but that's life.  

Incidentally I am not saying I approve of what the Chinese government is doing or do not sympathize with the protestors, but there is not a lot the US can do, if anything.  So don't blame Trump.

Cid,

What do you think about the position of Taiwan now?

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Cid,

What do you think about the position of Taiwan now?

That one is a lot trickier.  Technically it was part of China before the communists took over.  When China fell, the Nationalist took over Taiwan.  Of course by now, the Nationalist and the Taiwanese are now the same I guess.  Although I do recall there being controversies between the two groups over how the country is ruled.

To me, Taiwan became an "independent nation" in 1949, although it had "belonged to Japan" from 1895-1945 before coming back under Chinese control.  So, before 1895 it belonged to China then to Nationalist China for four years, 45-49, and then to Nationalist Chinese who escaped from mainland China and the communists.

It's a mess!  Sometimes I try to think in terms of reality vs. what we hope for.  I do not think the US should go to war over Taiwan.  Historically it belongs to China just as Hong Kong and Macao do.  (Macao is a great Robert Mitchum/Jane Russel movie)  But we have a longstanding alliance with Taiwan, so if we abandon them to China what happens with other alliances in Asia?

I also think we should recognize Cuban government and get over it.  Just as we did with Soviet Union, Vietnam, China, etc.

• Like 1

Angela Merkel, German Chancellor:
"Industrial nations are those that have caused global warming as we see it today.

The developing countries are those that suffer most from this phenomenon."

• Thanks 1

JUST IN: The Trump administration is asking world leaders at the United Nations strike reproductive health language from official documents about global health,

saying: "We do not support references to... sexual and reproductive health and rights in U.N. documents

because they can undermine the critical role of the family and promote practices, like abortion."

<_<

• Haha 4

Decoding Trump's speech before the United Nations

We read between the lines of the president’s speech in New York.

"..... Trump delivered his third address to the United Nations General Assembly on Tuesday, presenting a fierce defense of his "America First" philosophy that also served as a campaign pitch.

Here, we decode how his messages that were theoretically meant for other world leaders

were really intended for an audience at home. ........

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/24/trump-speech-at-un-1507923

<_<

• Sad 1

Russia's state TV:

Ukrainian diplomat Vadim Triukhan cites German newspapers: "Trump won the first elections thanks to Russia

and now he wants to be re-elected thanks to Ukraine."

Russian state TV host Evgeny Popov: "Well, how else could you put it?

That's exactly what happened."

<_<
  • Like 1

Barr’s Requests for Foreign Help Prompt Backlash in Australia, Italy, U.K.

Opposition lawmakers, intelligence officials question why the attorney general is working outside usual channels in review of Russia-probe origins

“This could put the Five Eyes relationship in jeopardy,” Mr. Warner said, using the term to describe an intelligence-sharing agreement among the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

“If Australia starts to feel that their intelligence is being used for American domestic political purposes to smear an opponent of Mr. Trump, then that trust breaks down.” ......

https://www.wsj.com/articles/barrs-requests-for-foreign-help-prompt-backlash-in-australia-italy-u-k-11570369938

<_<

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Trump signs a trade deal with Japan that apparently is just about the same as the trans Pacific trade deal that he backed out of two-and-a-half years ago.  :lol:

• Haha 2

Many are characterizing the decision to pull out of Syria as a stab in the back to the Kurdish allies and further proof that America can no longer be trusted.

A great victory for Vladimir Putin.

• Sad 1

The Trump administration is pulling out of the Open Skies Treaty,

which allows the United States and our allies and partners in Europe to monitor Russian military deployments.

Withdrawal risks dividing the transatlantic alliance. #Russia

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/_cache/files/4

===================================

Nick Knudsen #DemCast

@DemWrite

·

20h

Wow. The Open Skies Treaty has kept the peace in the post-Cold-War era,

ensuring that western countries can & do monitor Russian military activities from the sky.

Backing out is a huge gift to Putin.

Trump is a chaos agent backed into a corner - a very dangerous combo.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The Demolition of U.S. Diplomacy

Not Since Joe McCarthy Has the State Department Suffered Such a Devastating Blow

".....President Donald Trump’s dangerous brand of diplomatic malpractice. His is a diplomacy of narcissism, bent on advancing private interests at the expense of our national interests.

Ambassador Yovanovitch is not the first professional diplomat to find herself in political crosshairs in the history of the State Department. Trump is not the first demagogue to bully career personnel. And Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is not the first secretary of state derelict in his duty.

But the damage from this assault—coming from within the executive branch itself, after nearly three years of unceasing diplomatic self-sabotage, and at a particularly fragile geopolitical moment—will likely prove to be even more severe to both diplomatic tradecraft and U.S. foreign policy.

THE NEW MCCARTHYISM

Almost 70 years ago, in the early years of the Cold War, Senator Joseph McCarthy conducted a savage campaign against “disloyalty” in the State Department. Partisan investigators, untethered to evidence or ethics, forced out 81 department employees in the first half of the 1950s. ....

By using his public office for personal gain, Trump has affirmed Putin’s long-held conviction—shared by autocrats the world over—that Americans are just as venal and self-absorbed as they are, just more hypocritical about it.

For dictators, Trump is the gift that keeps on giving, a non-stop advertisement for Western self-dealing. So much for enlightened self-interest. So much for the power of our example. So much for our credibility.

We are digging a deep hole for ourselves in a world that is changing fast, filled with players who won’t wait for us to stop digging and a landscape that is quickly hardening against U.S. interests.......

Joseph Welch, the legendary attorney in the Army-McCarthy hearings, burst the balloon of McCarthyism in 1954 when he posed his unforgettable question:

“Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

The question was rhetorical then, just as it is today for the McCarthy imitators in and around the Trump administration. Their sense of decency is well hidden, their venality and vindictiveness on full display......

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2019-10-14/demolition-us-diplomacy

====================================

**** His credentials: Burns served as Deputy Secretary of State (under Obama), Under Secretary of State (Obama and George W Bush), Assistant Secretary of State (GWB), Ambassador to Russia (GWB) and Jordan (Clinton), NSC staff (Reagan/GHW Bush). He entered the Foreign Service in 1982.

• Thanks 1