Sign in to follow this  
dfordoom

best science fiction of the 70s

22 posts in this topic

I think of the 70s as being a much better decade for science fiction than the 80s. My picks for the best 70s science fiction films would be:

Colossus: The Forbin Project (possibly the best computers will take over movie ever)

A Clockwork Orange

Silent Running

Solaris (the real one, not the truly abysmal Hollywood remake)

Dark Star

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Time After Time (maybe not one of the greats, but it?s clever and fun and who?d have thought Malcolm MacDowell would make such a wonderful H. G. Wells?)

Westworld

"A Clockwork Orange" is simply a masterpiece. "Westworld" is also very good, and can be seen as a predecessor to "The Terminator" in some ways. (Gee, nobody sued about it, however.) "Time After Time" was a charming film.

Ironically, you didn't mention "Star Wars" or "Close Encounters of theThird Kind," which changed the direction of movie SF from mostly dystopian visions to more cheerful and special effects driven.

I've never seen "Silent Running," which a lot of people praise a lot.

> Ironically, you didn't mention "Star Wars" or "Close

> Encounters of theThird Kind," which changed the

> direction of movie SF from mostly dystopian visions

> to more cheerful and special effects driven.

No, but if I start another thread on "worst science fiction of the 70s" I'll be sure to mention them! :-;

Well, I enjoyed the Andromeda Strain from 1973. Some other

interesting "concept" movies from the decade would include Zardoz 1973 (an interesting failure), Rollerball 1975 (nice idea of sports teams playing for corporate power/prestige) and Logan's Run 1976 (interesting idea about population control, though pretty juvenile, Soylent Green would fall in this same category). I would view the original Superman movie as sci-fi, and it was fairly good ("you will believe a man can fly!"). But the most notable movie of the 70's with some sci-fi elements might be Moonraker, absolutely the worst Bond movie ever conceived! Jaws in space! And in love!

I liked The Andromeda Strain as well. I don't know how I could have omitted that one from my list.

As for Logan's Run, it's so long since I've seen that my memories of it are rather hazy. Although I do seem to remember that I liked it. I really should watch that one again!

"Silent Running", Bruce Dern and three robots. I like this film, also I enjoyed "Marooned" with Peck, I do not know if it was Sci-Fi.

The original "Rollerball" is very good. It really arouses the visceral feelings in the audience. I remember a friend and I saw it in the 80s, and we really got caught up in the games/battles.

Again, it is an example of the dystopian SF film of the Seventies that "Star Wars" did away with. When darker SF films returned in the 80s, they were "tech noir" and seemed more action oriented than their Seventies predecessors.

Some sci-fi films from the 70's that stand out for me:

The Andromeda Strain(1971)

Soylent Green(1973)

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind(1977)

Alien(1979)

Rollerball(1975)

Star Wars(1977)

The Land That Time Forgot(1975)

Clockwork Orange(1971)

Logan's Run(1976)

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) is a real mindblower. It also probably saved Bowie's life as he was incredibly strung out during that period and couldn't find any drugs while they were on location.

• Like 1

Punishment Park is amazing. I'd been wanting to see it for years before it was finally released on DVD in 2005. One of the best scifi films of the 70's.

Don't think I'd heard of it, either. Says on imdb.com that it's a Dutch film -- it sounds intriguing enough and I'd like to check it out eventually! :)

Two of my favorite 70s science fiction films are actually remakes of 50s classics: Philip Kaufman's version of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS doesn't necessarily improve on the original but it definitely adds an interesting twist and John Carpenter's THE THING is, I believe, that director's best film; extremely scary!

I've never seen "Punishment Park," but I think it is by the British director Peter Watkins and is about a future repressive society. Watkins directed "The War Game," a film about nuclear war in the Sixties, and he has usually made historical films like "Culloden" and "The Commune." I think most of his films were originally made for British television?

I think "Punishment park" may be on DVD in Britain with a set of Watkins' works.

On 2/8/2007 at 9:51 PM, dfordoom said:

I liked The Andromeda Strain as well. I don't know how I could have omitted that one from my list.

As for Logan's Run, it's so long since I've seen that my memories of it are rather hazy. Although I do seem to remember that I liked it. I really should watch that one again!

Logan's Run is pretty good. Jenny Agutter was hot in that.

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Logan's Run is pretty good. Jenny Agutter was hot in that.

You missed it. It was on last night.  The interesting thing about it is that Jenny Agutter's name now is usually second in listings.  For a long time Farah Fawcet-Majors was often listed first or second before Agutter.

35 minutes ago, TheCid said:

You missed it. It was on last night.  The interesting thing about it is that Jenny Agutter's name now is usually second in listings.  For a long time Farah Fawcet-Majors was often listed first or second before Agutter.

No, I did catch it. :lol: Just sharing my thoughts on it and bumping this thread. Also Fawcet was probably just listed for her big celebrity name because she only plays a minor character in the movie. 

The sci-fi films of the 70s had more on their mind than mind blowing special effects- and yes I do love "Star Wars " and "Close Encounters" but movies like "Rollerball", " Soylent Green" and the remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" used science fiction to deal with real issues.