Juanaquena

Robert Benchley Short - Aired 16 Nov 2016

9 posts in this topic

Too bad it is hard to find old schedules. Do you remember what he was doing in that film? Plot? There aren't THAT many titles to guess from.

Hello, JLewis -

I only saw the last few minutes of the film. Robert Benchley had an outline map of Europe on the wall behind him. However, instead of the names of the European countries on the roll-up  map, there funny and incorrect geographical features printed on the map: Old Man River is the feature I recall off hand. I have no idea how the film short started. I don't recall seeing a Benchley film short with the "European: map.

If you or someone else can determine the title, that would be great. I love Robert Benchley.

Thank you, JLewis! It is "No News Is Good News." The map in the JPEG image with Robert B. standing in front IS the part I saw right before "Whistling in Brooklyn."

I JUST KNEW someone on this message board will find it.

• Like 1

By the way, I see that the Robert Benchley film short, "No News Is Good News" (MGM, 1943) is included in the 3-disc DVD entitled "The Robert Benchley Minatures Collection" (Warner Home Video, 2009.)

This is the link to the library holding information on WorldCat.org, a worldwide database of library holdings, in case anyone wishes to borrow a copy of the DVD through his/her library (InterLibrary Loan if one's local library / library system does not hold it.):

http://www.worldcat.org/title/robert-benchley-miniatures-collection/oclc/570704840&referer=brief_results

I also find copies for sale on eBay and Amazon.

My thanks, again, to JLewis for determining the Robert Benchley short about which I was curious.

Forgot to add that I did not find the 3-DVD set of "The Robert Benchley Minatures" through TCM Shop. Maybe it is for sale through TCM Shop and I just didn't enter the search properly.

Looks like it is on back order. Yet if you are willing to wait even after the holidays, this holiday sale of $16.95 is a real steal.

http://shop.tcm.com/robert-benchley-shorts/883316200636

This set is more expensive, but has twice the number of discs. This is probably my favorite set of comedies along with Benchley and the Stooges (Sony sets).

http://shop.tcm.com/joe-mcdoakes-collection/883316200629

Thank you for finding the Robert Benchley 3-DVD set, Robert Benchley Shorts, through TCM Shop.

Since I don't want to wait until after Christmas, I found a new (never opened) set for sale on eBay and ordered that.

Again, thank you so much for your excellent help.

Juanaquena

• Like 1