darkblue

Popular Music: The Canadian Connection

93 posts in this topic

One of the great Canadian LP's, 'This Is the Ice Age' by Martha & the Muffins - 1981.

This track was the album closer.

• Like 1

And then, track # 2 - following the lead-off 'Swimming' - was 'Women Around the World At Work' which served as the perfect flow to begin the album. Both 'Swimming' and 'Women Around the World At Work' were released as singles - along with 'You Sold the Cottage' which was on side 2 of the LP.

As so many of us in his generation can relate, Murray McLauchlan left his parents' Toronto home in the 60's as a teen. He wrote this song about that.

This version, by Tom Rush, is the first recording of it - even before McLauchlan himself the following year. I've always felt that Rush's version of it is perfect.

I didn't have time to go over every page, but was THIS band mentioned?  I thought they were pretty good.  But I couldn't find any of their late '60's stuff.  In '69 a local Detroit "underground" station used to play some of their stuff.

Whatever became of......

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, Sepiatone said:

I didn't have time to go over every page, but was THIS band mentioned?  I thought they were pretty good

Mandala was a relatively minor note in Canadian rock, although they did enjoy a brief period of popularity from 1966 to 1967 - mostly in Toronto. They did do U.S. tours also, usually as part of multi-group shows. Their most famous tour position was opening for Wilson Pickett for a brief time.

All together they produced two bonafide Canadian hits - "Opportunity' and 'Love-Itis'. 'Opportunity' was more of a regional hit, but 'Love-Itis' is broadly their most recognized song.

• Thanks 1

If this lady was already mentioned, I apologize.  But she's worth another mention anyway...

Great voice.  The Windsor, Ont.  station across the river used to broadcast some TV show of hers.  I'd catch it occasionally.

Sepiatone

When I think of Canada, two things come to mind:

And one of my absolute favorites:

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, Sepiatone said:

How regarded are THESE guys up there, DB?

To the general public, they don't exist at all.

You'd have to immerse yourself in the thrash crowd to find Annihilator's fans.

Their blisteringly speedy heavy metal headbanging is appreciated by hardcores only - and I don't know any of those personally anymore. My little brother liked them when he was 17, but he and I didn't listen to the same groups much.

• Like 1

I don't like that sort of stuff myself too.  But compared to other bands of that sort, I'd say they're the more "listenable". 

Yeah, my brother(who was older) were in the same boat musically.  The only thing we agreed on was that we both weren't big on Country music.  Especially him.  And that was a bit of a sore spot with him, being a truck driver, which also spurred his dislike of BURT REYNOLDS and his "Smokey" movies.  See, since they came out they(in his view) planted the notion that ALL truck drivers are country music fans.  And whenever he'd be at someone's house and they learned he was a truck driver, would jump up quick, run to the radio and tune it to the country music station thinking they were showing him some sort of "kindness".  Irked him no end. ;)

Sepiatone

Now I know THESE guys had to have been mentioned in here before, but when looking up something for somewhere else, WIKI gave the impression that this song, by this band, was a "Canadian only" release and hit.  But I remember hearing it a LOT in the Detroit area at the time, and lo these 53 years later is STILL one of my favorite tunes, AND my favorite version!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Because it's her 77th birthday today, I thought I'd bring up this Canadian born favorite of mine, old "folkie" that I am. ;)

On 2/18/2018 at 7:27 AM, Sepiatone said:

Now I know THESE guys had to have been mentioned in here before, but when looking up something for somewhere else, WIKI gave the impression that this song, by this band, was a "Canadian only" release and hit.  But I remember hearing it a LOT in the Detroit area at the time, and lo these 53 years later is STILL one of my favorite tunes, AND my favorite version!

Sepiatone

Sep-- It must have gotten as far as Kansas too because I bought this record, after hearing it on the local radio.

Good, solid group

• Like 1