Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Oh wow! SUDDEN FEAR! (1952) on 12/14 at 8:00 PM

283 posts in this topic

I don't want to derail this thread topic from Sudden Fear to Gloria Grahame, but I have to say, I am a huge fan of G.G. I don't think I've ever seen a film with her that her presence didn't somehow add to the rating - at the very least, the entertainment value - of the film. She had a presence unlike any other female star's...an inscrutable quality, almost mysterious  (except, of course, Ado Annie.)

There's something about her eyes. It's the way she looks at whoever she's talking to- especially men. The expression in her eyes is direct and compelling, almost challenging sometimes.

Also, she's one of those actresses who can look exceptionally pretty sometimes, and almost plain other times. Kind of what Jerry Seinfeld once called a "Two-Face". But mostly she's attractive - sexy rather than beautiful. In fact, I'd say she was one of the sexiest actresses of the classic Hollywood era.

I picked this photo because I think it's a good example of what I was saying about her eyes.

grahame.jpg

• Like 6

You can lend a homeless man a kazoo and he can play it

for one day. Teach him how to make his own kazoo and he

can play it forever.

• Like 2

You can lend a homeless man a kazoo and he can play it

for one day. Teach him how to make his own kazoo and he

can play it forever.

Yes, very very true, Vautrin. However, let's make something perfectly clear here, dude.

Contrary to that OTHER old axiom that sounds a lot like yours here, you can NOT make a kazoo out of a fish.

(...nope, for it's yet again like how another old saying goes: "You can tune a guitar/piano/almost any musical instrument, but you can't tuna fish")

• Like 1

That is an excellent point about Gloria Grahame's eyes Miss Wonderly, something I guess I've noticed but never really been able to put my finger on. Oddly enough, the one film of hers that I've seen where she doesn't have much presence is the one for which she won her Oscar, I'm talking of course about THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

she won the Oscar more for having an absolutely incredible year in which she appeared in four(?) box office smashes, and I'm glad that she won an Oscar at some point in her career because she had that level of talent, but I can't help feeling as if a dis-service was done somehow in her winning for the most unremarkable 10 minutes she ever spent on screen.

• Like 1

Well, it certainly has that whole requisite film noir venetian blind thing goin' on there alright, Lorna.

(...btw...ya know how to make a venetian blind?...oh, heard this one before, have ya?!)

• Like 1

Well, it certainly has that whole requisite film noir venetian blind thing goin' on there alright, Lorna.

(...btw...ya know how to make a venetian blind?...oh, heard this one before, have ya?!)

the blinds and the bars in the rail; combined with THAT MINK; she's like an encaged ANIMAL and I love it.

PS- yeah, fur is murder and all, but OMG THAT MINK!

• Like 1

i get the feeling that on the last day of shooting Joan got the all-clear that it was a wrap while on location  and went straight to her car, in costume, and was promptly whisked away up some winding San Francisco street at four a.m; and the producer turned to the director and said "we're not getting that mink back, are we?"

and they never did.

SuddenFear-03.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, very very true, Vautrin. However, let's make something perfectly clear here, dude.

Contrary to that OTHER old axiom that sounds a lot like yours here, you can NOT make a kazoo out of a fish.

(...nope, for it's yet again like how another old saying goes: "You can tune a guitar/piano/almost any musical instrument, but you can't tuna fish")

Some rock band used that as an album title but I always forget which

group it was. And your average fish tastes better than your average

kazoo. Joan wanted a hand up not a hand out. Gloria didn't need

anything at all.

Finally found my copy of Conversations With Joan circa 1981. Of this film she says "Melodramatic as hell, but the story and script were strong and the casting couldn't have been better. No regrets."

• Like 3

Does anybody know if the husband was a bigamist. In  the train Joan's character saw a ring and asked him if he was married and he claimed it was his mother's ring he was wearing.

Some rock band used that as an album title but I always forget which

group it was. And your average fish tastes better than your average

kazoo. Joan wanted a hand up not a hand out. Gloria didn't need

anything at all.

"You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish"---REO Speedwagon

Hmmmm...so DGF, you're sayin' REO Speedwagon used this old saying for one their album titles, huh?

Now, are you sure you didn't just..ahem..hear this from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend???

(...sorry, couldn't resist "messin' around" here)

;)

Does anybody know if the husband was a bigamist. In  the train Joan's character saw a ring and asked him if he was married and he claimed it was his mother's ring he was wearing.

I think it was open-ended as to whether Jack's character was married, although if he was, i imagine Joan's lawyer in the movie- who quite clearly carried a torch for her- would've done some looking into it and found out (especially since he went to all the trouble to draw her up a will without her even asking.)

OH MY GOD!

Tuna fish = tune a fish.

I get it now.

Uh-huh, Lorna. Glad to see you finally got it.

(...and now ALSO don't forget here that "IAWL" stands for "It's a Wonderful Life", okay?!) ;)

LOL

That sounds about right. Not a huge Speedwagon fan.

I don't want to sleep, I don't want to peep,

I just want to eat some tuna fish.

Gloria's look really could size up a man. I read this about Liz Taylor in some film review: she knew how much AT&T stock he owned, and wanted more.

• Like 1

That sounds about right. Not a huge Speedwagon fan.

I don't want to sleep, I don't want to peep,

I just want to eat some tuna fish.

I used to eat a lot of tuna, but I switched to salmon. Much better for you.

I wouldn't go THAT far here, Hibi.

Jack plays the leading man in that Goddard flick that has Fritz Lang playing himself, and titled CONTEMPT, doesn't he?! And as I recall, he ends up getting none other than Briditte Bardot at the end, doesn't he?!

And then in I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES, he's the lead in that remake of HIGH SIERRA.

And how about that movie THE BIG KNIFE, and where he plays the leading man, a big Hollywood star in a personal crisis?

(...and where he duels with Rod Steiger to see who can chew up the most scenery in it)

By leading man, I meant ROMANTIC leading man. I know he played leads.........no matinee idol he.

By leading man, I meant ROMANTIC leading man. I know he played leads.........no matinee idol he.

his turn as Castro in CHE! (1969) is the stuff of legend.

Not good legend, but....

I dunno, but somebody made a right decision. I love Oklahoma! anyway, but the casting of Gloria Grahame as Ado Annie was inspired....the icing on this Rogers and Hammerstein cake for me. Who knew this sexy woman who usually  played in noirs would be such a natural as the goofy, funny, libidinous Ado Annie? She's so funny in this film, playing dumb and smart at the same time. And she can sing ! ...sort of. I actually enjoy her off-key warbling, it suits the songs she sings, and her character. Ado Annie doesn't need to have a fine singing voice like Laurey does, she just needs to get her character across in song.  *

Hey, to the glorious Gloria in Oklahoma ! , I can't say no.

* Thank god they didn't have auto-tuning back then. Auto-tuning is something that belongs in one of Dante's nine circles of hell.

I've not sure why, but after Oklahoma her career went into decline and stayed there. Too bad.