mr6666

Trump vs. the Press/Media

713 posts in this topic

7 Questions We Would Have Asked Donald Trump At His Canceled Press Conference-

President-elect Donald Trump promised a press conference Thursday to clarify the role he would have with his international business entanglements after he becomes president.

He canceled.

The transition team said Monday that Trump is delaying his "announcement" until January. Later that night, Trump took to his favorite medium to go around the filter — Twitter — and made some news about his plans:

It’s been 140 days since Donald Trump’s last press conference. In the meantime, he’s tweeted 1,461 times.

Why does this matter?

Unlike other ways of getting messages out, press conferences hold public officials more accountable to the American people because they have to answer questions in an uncontrolled environment.....

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/15/505630205/6-questions-we-would-have-asked-donald-trump-at-his-canceled-press-conference?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2043

• Like 3

Members of the incoming Trump administration are floating ideas that would radically bring changes to the White House Press Corps. All of the suggested changes would benefit Trump by allowing the White House to intimidate journalists into compliance while restricting the free flow of information from the White House to the American people.....

The changes that have been suggested have included doing away with the White House daily press briefing, getting rid of the president’s weekly address, and perhaps moving the White House press corps out of the White House.

All of these potential changes are designed to accomplish two goals. The Trump administration wants a compliant press that fits in with Trump’s belief that the media should be nothing more than glorified transcription praise machines....

The second goal behind the potential changes is to limit the amount of information coming out of the White House to the public.

Donald Trump loves Twitter because he can unilaterally blast out messages.

Journalists can’t question Trump in real time on Twitter,...

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/12/15/trump-benefits-changing-white-house-press-corps.html

:(

• Like 1

Members of the incoming Trump administration are floating ideas that would radically bring changes to the White House Press Corps. All of the suggested changes would benefit Trump by allowing the White House to intimidate journalists into compliance while restricting the free flow of information from the White House to the American people.....

The changes that have been suggested have included doing away with the White House daily press briefing, getting rid of the president’s weekly address, and perhaps moving the White House press corps out of the White House.

All of these potential changes are designed to accomplish two goals. The Trump administration wants a compliant press that fits in with Trump’s belief that the media should be nothing more than glorified transcription praise machines....

The second goal behind the potential changes is to limit the amount of information coming out of the White House to the public.

Donald Trump loves Twitter because he can unilaterally blast out messages.

Journalists can’t question Trump in real time on Twitter,...

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/12/15/trump-benefits-changing-white-house-press-corps.html

:(

This isn't about whether you like individuals who work in the press or the media-- this is about the American people and their right to know what's going on.

People who want to censor and harass the media have something to hide.

• Like 1

"The Trump campaign also sought out allies, like Fox News’ Sean Hannity, to counteract the media’s attempt at straightforward coverage with airtime unencumbered by tough questions (over $31 million in free airtime, in fact). Now it seems Hannity wasn’t the only one. The campaign struck a deal with Sinclair Broadcast Group for similarly uncritical coverage, Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner reportedly told a group of business executives in Manhattan Friday.

Sinclair got more access to Trump and the campaign and, in return, broadcast Trump interviews without commentary to its television stations across the country,....

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-campaign-media-deal-for-favorable-coverage-d2a945c458c3#.5634srwtw

list of stations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_owned_or_operated_by_Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

"The Trump campaign also sought out allies, like Fox News’ Sean Hannity, to counteract the media’s attempt at straightforward coverage with airtime unencumbered by tough questions (over $31 million in free airtime, in fact). Now it seems Hannity wasn’t the only one. The campaign struck a deal with Sinclair Broadcast Group for similarly uncritical coverage, Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner reportedly told a group of business executives in Manhattan Friday.

Sinclair got more access to Trump and the campaign and, in return, broadcast Trump interviews without commentary to its television stations across the country,....

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-campaign-media-deal-for-favorable-coverage-d2a945c458c3#.5634srwtw

You can say this kind of thing is cheating and disingenuous--that's cheating the American public from hearing the truth and what they need to know.

In defense of the American public, the only thing I can say is that the majority of people who voted did not vote for Trump. The majority of Americans who voted we're not fooled.

American voters are not stupid. Their Antiquated Slave- oriented system of the Electoral College is stupid.

You can say this kind of thing is cheating and disingenuous--that's cheating the American public from hearing the truth and what they need to know.

In defense of the American public, the only thing I can say is that the majority of people who voted did not vote for Trump. The majority of Americans who voted we're not fooled.

American voters are not stupid. Their Antiquated Slave- oriented system of the Electoral College is stupid.

Note that the majority of people who voted didn't vote for Clinton.    I.e. No candidate received a majority of the vote.

Anyhow did you see Trump's comment thanking African-American voters for NOT voting and therefore helping him win in key battleground states.

Current Events

The Washington Post Just Created A Plug-in To Instantly Fact-Check Trump’s Twitter-

"...one of Trump’s most hated media outlets, Trump and WaPo have come to blows in the past. However, this is not a counter-move from the newspaper. Bump wrote on Twitter that he had just come up with the idea for the extension, “this morning.” Trump has called the media outlet,  “phony and dishonest,” as well as having, “incredibly inaccurate coverage and reporting.” Trump even took away WaPo’s press credentials, as a way to hugely damage the paper. But now it seems WaPo will have the last laugh--

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/12/17/washington-post-just-created-plug-instantly-fact-check-trumps-twitter/

The internet shreds reporters who attended Trump’s Mar-a-Lago party-

Jeremy M @thismyshow

Princess.  The Electoral College has ZERO relationship to slaves or the slave states.  If slavery had not extisted, they still would have created the Electoral College.

American voters are not stupid, only those that voted for Trump are.  The proof is the people he is placing in charge of the government.  The most anti-working class, anti-middle class, anti-small business, anti-American values in history.

Trump’s Seven Techniques to Control the Media-

Tyrants always try to suppress a free press; here's Trump's playbook.

"Democracy depends on a free and independent press, which is why all tyrants try to squelch it. They use seven techniques that, worryingly, President-elect Donald Trump already employs....

http://billmoyers.com/story/trumps-seven-techniques-control-media/

• Like 1

I'm curious, with all of this effort from many fronts to de-legitimize the news media, what sources for news do the posters on here rely on? What sites, TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, etc? Most people on here seem to have some knowledge on these issues, so they're getting info from some sources. What, in your minds, do you still trust/rely on?

Personally, I find AP, Reuters, CBC, BBC often have the most stories presented with "just the facts". HuffPost and Breitbart seem to be the most slanted mainstream web sources. I watch little to no television news. I also avoid obviously agenda-driven news sources, sites with names like "GlobalWarmingIsBS.org", or "IlluminatiAmongUs.com". Usually any site with "truth" of "info" in the name plays fast and loose with the facts.

I'm curious, with all of this effort from many fronts to de-legitimize the news media, what sources for news do the posters on here rely on? What sites, TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, etc? Most people on here seem to have some knowledge on these issues, so they're getting info from some sources. What, in your minds, do you still trust/rely on?

Personally, I find AP, Reuters, CBC, BBC often have the most stories presented with "just the facts". HuffPost and Breitbart seem to be the most slanted mainstream web sources. I watch little to no television news. I also avoid obviously agenda-driven news sources, sites with names like "GlobalWarmingIsBS.org", or "IlluminatiAmongUs.com". Usually any site with "truth" of "info" in the name plays fast and loose with the facts.

As much as possible, assume nothing, and know the source of all things.

The Russian hacking is a real hard nut to crack.

When the electoral vote was near, the Russian involvement in the election became reinvigorated and reached a fever pitch. It became a political tool.

Personally, I don't accept "at this time" the news media, the Government agencies, or the political party's view until I know there's been a reliable investigation made, "if that's possible".

You can't trust the NYT, the Washington Post, Snopes, or

Wiki. But you can trust some person you've never heard of

who can upload a video to YT. Sure.

• Like 2

You can't trust the NYT, the Washington Post, Snopes, or

Wiki. But you can trust some person you've never heard of

who can upload a video to YT. Sure.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I see a lot of posts and threads attacking virtually every media source, be they left-leaning, right-leaning, or ostensibly centrist. So where does everyone get their information from? I'm guessing they're not out in the street getting the information first hand. It's passing through at least one filter, probably more than one. I was wondering which ones. I believe I've even asked about this before, in different wording, but never got a straight answer, as far as I recall.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I see a lot of posts and threads attacking virtually every media source, be they left-leaning, right-leaning, or ostensibly centrist. So where does everyone get their information from? I'm guessing they're not out in the street getting the information first hand. It's passing through at least one filter, probably more than one. I was wondering which ones. I believe I've even asked about this before, in different wording, but never got a straight answer, as far as I recall.

It is a good idea to be somewhat skeptical of all kinds of media,

including the MSM, but not to be so skeptical that you disbelieve

everything reported in the MSM. Again folks have to use their

own experience and common sense, which may be imperfect,

but I don't see what else one can go by. 

• Like 2

There has been a lot of CNN bashing but I have the utmost respect for the journalists and cameramen who risk their lives to go in under fire with or without the troops in the likes of Mosul or Aleppo.  Even Chris Commo was an altogether different reporter when he was in that Ukranian field near the front reporting on the downed passenger jet.

• Like 3

The MSM is actually FoxNews and the right wing media.

Personally I prefer Headline News which actually reports more news and less politics.

One benefit of subscribing to my local daily paper is a free link to Washington Post.  Get several news updates per day, each with several articles, opinions, etc. in them.  Also a few breaking news single article updates.  Do not use any other websites for news.

Ironically the reporting in local daily has gotten better since taken over by USA Today.  More regional and state news than before.

Occasionally watch BBC on PBS, but have never really gotten into the habit.  There is a BBC channel, but not very interesting.

Also, watch local news (4 channels) in the evening and morning some.  Way too much silly banter, trendy local happenings and LOOONG COMMERCIAL  breaks.  Mainly watch first ten minutes for latest blood and gore report (shootings, robberies, auto accidents), etc.  Then they might go to what state and local governments are doing and at some point the weather.  Usually get my weather from the Weather Channel though.  The local scroll at bottom and Weather on the Eights tells me all I need to know.

I might watch MSNBC, CNN and HN for a few minutes to see if really reporting "news."  Might even watch Fox as it does report news other than politics more than MSNBC.

Actually watch little of MSNBC or CNN.  Find the MSNBC AM and PM "hosts" boring and annoying.

If nothing better to do will watch the Noon "leg show" on Fox with sound turned off and read the scroll.  Fox scrolls actually do pretty good job of reporting news other than politics.

Remote with channel changer and mute button is best TV invention ever.

Also, get print Time magazine.

I don't really watch a lot of TV news. The local station has three

blocks of half hour news which they run for an hour and a half

with small variations. Then I watch the ABC Ambulance Chase

with David Muir. I did watch a bit of CNN during the elections,

but I have no desire to watch endless hours of political commentary

most of which is just the SOS with the names changed. 

"A potential problem with a room full of people armed with pointed questions about national affairs is that it can jarringly reveal that the person in question doesn’t have a clue about national affairs.

Enter Mr. Trump’s first (sort-of) press conference. It was held in front of a dimly lit entrance to his Mar-a-Lago Estate in south Florida, decked with Christmas ornamentation.....

There were smart questions. There were answers, perhaps not quite as smart......

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/12/29/trump-just-held-first-press-conference-proved-hes-fool/

:blink:

"A potential problem with a room full of people armed with pointed questions about national affairs is that it can jarringly reveal that the person in question doesn’t have a clue about national affairs.

Enter Mr. Trump’s first (sort-of) press conference. It was held in front of a dimly lit entrance to his Mar-a-Lago Estate in south Florida, decked with Christmas ornamentation.....

There were smart questions. There were answers, perhaps not quite as smart......

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/12/29/trump-just-held-first-press-conference-proved-hes-fool/

:blink:

Which is why Trump will do very, very few press conferences.  He will turn it over to his large number of media/communications staffers after he gets burned a few times.

• Like 1

President-Elect Trump Is Historically Unpopular; His Press Coverage Should Reflect That-

"There are lots of ways the political press continues to normalize President-elect Donald Trump’s often radical behavior. From regurgitating his vague tweets as news while he refuses to grant press conferences, to shying away from calling the serial prevaricator a liar, journalists continue to play nice.

Here’s another way Trump’s getting the benefit of the doubt: He’s a wildly unpopular political figure, yet the press continues to gloss over that fact while granting him soft coverage. ...

Obama entered 2009 with a 68 percent favorable rating. Today, Trump’s favorable rating stands at an anemic 43 percent. And if history is any indication, that rating is almost certain to go down once the new president takes office.

A plurality of Americans think he will be a “poor” or “terrible” president....

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/03/president-elect-trump-historically-unpopular-his-press-coverage-should-reflect/214911

• Like 1