mr6666

Trump vs. the Press/Media

1,050 posts in this topic

John Whitehouse @existentialfish

Right-wing panelist on Meet the Press on climate change:

"I'm not a scientist ... We need to also recognize we had two of the coldest years, biggest drop in global temperatures that we have had since the 1980s,...."

==========================

Laurence TribeVerified account @tribelaw Nov 25

She is such a tool.

And Chuck Todd’s deeply conservative streak is increasingly hard to overlook.

It’s evident both in his choice of guests (like her, for one) and in the ignorant BS he lets right-wingers get away with.

<_<

Common Dreams @commondreams 1h1 hour ago

CNN's @andersoncooper Cancels Segment With Climate Report Author

to Give Rick Santorum More Air Time-

----------------------------------------------------------------

"..... I do the interview, Anderson is lovely, the whole thing takes three hours .... and they don’t air the interview. Instead, they give more airtime to Santorum, so he can to continue to spread disinformation.”........

...she had been cancelled by All In with Chris Hayes three times, “once when I was literally in a chair with that earpiece in my ear.”

In July of this year, Hayes tweeted that climate change was a “palpable ratings killer.”

The idea that an issue of such global and national significance—which played a role in California’s deadliest wildfire on record, as well as the worst hurricanes the country has ever seen—could be dependent on ratings and replaced with outright climate denial should be of great concern to cable news audiences.

Media Matters reported that, in 2017, news shows failed to link major weather events to climate change, but focused instead devoted its climate coverage to actions of the Trump White House.

Hayhoe tweeted that, when invited to appear on MSNBC this week, she said, “I would be delighted to talk to you, but in order to be a wise steward of my time, I need a guarantee the interview will air, barring a major disaster, an assassination, or the end of the world.

They did not reply.”.....

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/11/28/cnns-anderson-cooper-cancels-segment-climate-report-author-give-rick-santorum-more 

:angry:

• Sad 1

Rania KhalekVerified account @RaniaKhalek 2h2 hours ago

Outraged to hear that @CNN fired Marc Lamont Hill for advocating for Palestinian rights in a speech to the UN.

Calling for Palestinians to have equal rights in their ancestral lands is NOT racism or anti-Semitism.

Shame on Israel’s speech suppression lobbyists and shame on CNN!

===================================

Marc Lamont HillVerified account @marclamonthill

My reference to “river to the sea” was not a call to destroy anything or anyone.

It was a call for justice, both in Israel and in the West Bank/Gaza.

The speech very clearly and specifically said those things. No amount of debate will change what I actually said or what I meant.

I support Palestinian freedom. I support Palestinian self-determination.
I am deeply critical of Israeli policy and practice.

I do not support anti-Semitism, killing Jewish people, or any of the other things attributed to my speech. I have spent my life fighting these things.  

Trump’s Ability to Manipulate the News Cycle

The president uses his copious “executive time” to deflect media attention from multiple scandals.

"...This week thus showcased not only how the White House’s problems show no signs of ebbing, but also how, in spite of them all, Trump can still convince people to look elsewhere.

Much of Trump’s executive time, according to sources close to the president, is spent scanning headlines and “obsessing,” in the words of one former senior White House official, over the stock market. Trump views both as key metrics of his presidency, and enjoys his ability to influence them within moments of hitting “Send Tweet” from the residency.

Rather than try to put out existing fires, the sources said, Trump prefers to spark new ones that play to his penchant for showmanship and intrigue........

Each source I spoke with for this story said that Trump may always be able to tweet away his political problems. But Mueller’s investigation is another matter entirely.

“I don’t know what happens with the Russia investigation,” the former senior White House official said.

“But if it’s bad, all the executive time in the world won’t help him.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/12/trump-responds-scandal-manipulating-news-cycle/578221/

52 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Never in the history of our Country has the “press” been more dishonest than it is today. Stories that should be good, are bad. Stories that should be bad, are horrible. Many stories, like with the REAL story on Russia, Clinton & the DNC, seldom get reported. Too bad!

10:37 AM - 15 Dec 2018

51 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Sarah Boxer Retweeted Donald J. Trump

But the National Enquirer on the other hand. A noble journalistic enterprise worth being more closely aligned with than any other.

And don't forget no journalism  24/7 trump TV--

AKA Fox News: #1 with trump's stamped racist approval

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

The govt didn’t disclose the death of the 7-year-old immigrant girl until *a week after it happened*. https://www.wbur.org/npr/677015797/father-of-dead-migrant-says-border-patrols-best-efforts-couldnt-save-her 

DulbJ4aXQAAO8Zw.jpg

David Fahrenthold Retweeted Eric Umansky

"Congress learned about this thanks to two reporters writing for the Washington Post." That was @NickMiroff and @BobMooreNews.

This is the first amendment working.

“Does the public understand just how much trouble the President is in? If not, that’s a failing of the press," CNN's @brianstelter says. "We need trusted voices, both nonpartisan anchors and clearly point-of-view driven hosts, to explain what is going on."

Image result for reliable sources brian stelter

This is why trump attacks the First Amendment, journalists, news organizations and media in general. He's made up the fake news routine to counter journalists telling the truth about him. We have found out today that 60% of Americans don't believe him.

17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is why trump attacks the First Amendment, journalists, news organizations and media in general. He's made up the fake news routine to counter journalists telling the truth about him. We have found out today that 60% of Americans don't believe him.

Gallup: 60% of Americans Don't Trust News Media

By Michael W. Chapman | September 17, 2014 | 1:46 PM EDT

download_0.jpg

(AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) – The latest Gallup survey on Americans’ trust in the media to report the news “fully, accurately, and fairly,” shows that a combined 60% said they had “not very much” trust and “none at all.”

Only 40% of Americans said they had, combined, a “fair amount” and “great deal” of trust and confidence in newspapers, TV, and radio to report the news accurately and fairly.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:47 AM, jakeem said:

62 percent of Americans say President Trump has been untruthful in the Russia investigation, according to a new NBC/WSJ poll.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/poll-62-percent-say-trump-isn-t-telling-truth-russia-n948226?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

1I5a521o?format=jpg&name=600x314

On 12/16/2018 at 8:14 AM, jakeem said:

A REAL scandal is the one sided coverage, hour by hour, of networks like NBC & Democrat spin machines like Saturday Night Live. It is all nothing less than unfair news coverage and Dem commercials. Should be tested in courts, can’t be legal? Only defame & belittle! Collusion?

8:58 AM - 16 Dec 2018

On 12/16/2018 at 8:33 AM, jakeem said:

Bradley P. Moss Retweeted Donald J. Trump

As always, the President has no respect for the First Amendment

On 12/16/2018 at 8:34 AM, jakeem said:
Replying to @BradMossEsq

Perhaps worse, he shows no sign of even understanding it. Trump’s very existence argues for the importance of rule of law. He is, at heart, an autocrat who, if he could, would trample on any institution or anyone standing in his way.

2 minutes ago, HIGHWAY said:

Gallup: 60% of Americans Don't Trust News Media

By Michael W. Chapman | September 17, 2014 | 1:46 PM EDT

download_0.jpg

(AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) – The latest Gallup survey on Americans’ trust in the media to report the news “fully, accurately, and fairly,” shows that a combined 60% said they had “not very much” trust and “none at all.”

Only 40% of Americans said they had, combined, a “fair amount” and “great deal” of trust and confidence in newspapers, TV, and radio to report the news accurately and fairly.

To me this is another silly poll because it uses the term 'media';  there are many different media outlets, with T.V. alone having over 10.   Therefor when all 'media' is lumped together many people who don't trust a specific single media outlet will answer they don't trust THE media.      E.g. conservatives for MSNBC and CNN and liberals for Fox. 

Again,  so such animal as THE media.   

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper.
Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that
polluted vehicle.”…. Thomas Jefferson

“We are being lied to on a scale unimaginable by George Orwell.”…Citizen Wells

CNN’s Jake Tapper nails Trump for ‘reading Fox News and trying to change policy without research’

.....The Times and many others noted that Trump used “verbatim, language aired just minutes before by his favorite program, ‘Fox & Friends.'”

“Here is an instance of President Trump seeing a report on Fox News, not finding out more about it, just going by what he saw, picked up, and then changing policy or trying to change policy or inserting himself in policy,” Tapper said Monday afternoon.

“I’ve heard some people say we shouldn’t really worry about state-run media — it’s the media-run state that’s the concern here,” the host added......

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/cnns-jake-tapper-nails-trump-reading-fox-news-trying-change-policy-without-research/

5 minutes ago, HIGHWAY said:

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper.
Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that
polluted vehicle.”…. Thomas Jefferson

"The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."

-- Thomas Jefferson 

• Thanks 1

The Real Roots of American Rage

The untold story of how anger became the dominant emotion in our politics and personal lives—and what we can do about it.

".....The method at both networks was, and is, to tap into our reservoirs of moral indignation. But the point isn’t to start a social movement or really even to effect political change, though the programming on Fox News and MSNBC does have political consequences.

The point is to keep viewers tuned in, which means keeping them angry all the time. No reconciliation, no catharsis, no compromise. ......

“If you can map an electorate’s fears, and then turn those into anger by moralizing your opponent’s sins, they’ll show up at the polls,” Steve Jarding, a Democratic campaign guru who teaches at Harvard’s Kennedy School, told me. “The essence of campaigns today is anger and fear. That’s how you win.”

“Willie Horton was the start of it all,”.......

It seems like our current madness should be reaching its apex, but the sources of our anger run deeper than the present political moment...

When we scrutinize the sources of our anger, we should see clearly that our rage is often being stoked not for our benefit but for someone else’s. If we can stop and see the anger merchants’ self-serving motives, we can perhaps start to loosen their grip on us. ............

“The supreme task is to organize and unite people so that their anger becomes a transforming force.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/charles-duhigg-american-anger/576424/

By Lindsey Bever
February 18, 2017

Oil on canvas portrait of Thomas Jefferson, 1805, painted by Gilbert Stuart. (Colonial Williamsburg Foundation)
During his time as U.S. minister to France, Thomas Jefferson penned a letter to a statesman from Virginia, waxing poetic about the importance of a free press.

“The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right,” Jefferson wrote to Edward Carrington in 1787. “And were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.”

Those words would help identify the Founding Father as a champion of the press.

But as Jefferson was writing them, scholars say, he did not foresee that newspapers would become a partisan tool for warring political factions in a climate of unrest and uncertainty over the fate of a nascent nation.

By the time he was approaching his presidency, anxieties were high and newspapers had taken a critical stance. Jefferson in turn had taken critical tone with them, at least in his in personal letters, in which he often excoriated the press — much as the 45th president, Donald Trump, would do more than 200 years later.

[Trump says ‘I inherited a mess,’ blasts media and detractors at combative news conference]

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper,” Jefferson said then.

“FAKE NEWS media … makes up stories and 'sources,'” Trump tweets now.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
 The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!

4:48 PM - Feb 17, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy
125K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
“Thomas Jefferson was as irritated with newspaper coverage as any public figure of his era,” Ken Paulson, president of the Newseum Institute's First Amendment Center, told The Washington Post in an email. “For all the talk of media bias today, it can't compare to the overt partisanship and personal attacks appearing in papers in our nation's early years. But Jefferson also knew that our democracy could only flourish with a free press that would keep an eye on people in power and help protect our freedoms.

“He understood that press coverage comes and goes, but freedom of the press must endure.”

The Newseum celebrates Jefferson's famous First Amendment stance, selling a magnet with one of his quotes: “The only security of all is in a free press.”

Trump attacks 'very fake news'
President Trump berated the media repeatedly at his press conference on Feb. 16, calling CNN and other outlets "very fake news." (Video: Reuters / Photo: Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)

Trump has repeatedly lambasted the media, first for its coverage of his presidential campaign and, now, of his administration. During a combative 75-minute news conference Thursday, the president continued to air his grievances, saying, “I’ve never seen more dishonest media than, frankly, the political media.”

At the time Jefferson wrote the storied words about press freedom that journalists have since embraced as a mantra, “his view of the press was uncluttered with the experience he was going to soon acquire,” said Joseph Ellis, a U.S. historian who has written a biography about Jefferson, “American Sphinx.”

“His view of the press was going to change,” he said.

Jefferson was a controversial presidential candidate, portrayed in the press as a Francophile and an atheist and was later rumored to have had children with a slave at Monticello (now widely believed by historians). Many people were worried he was putting the survival of the republic at risk — and that sentiment was echoed in the press, historians say.

Then during his presidency, the historians say, he was heavily criticized for his actions, namely the Louisiana Purchase and the Embargo Act of 1807.

[Here’s why Trump’s attacks on ‘fake news’ succeed]

In 1796, a year before he became vice president, Jefferson wrote a letter to George Washington, saying that “from a very early period of my life, I had laid it down as a rule of conduct, never to write a word for the public papers.”

But Ellis, the historian, noted that “Jefferson never said about the press what Trump says about the press.”

Still, Ellis said, “Jefferson recognized the press as one of the pillars of the society we wanted; but when he came under criticism in a big way, he used his powers to censor them.”

In a 1993 op-ed in the New York Times, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Anthony Lewis wrote:

In 1798 the Federalists pushed through Congress a Sedition Act making it a crime to publish false, malicious comments about the President or Congress. (They exempted Vice President Jefferson from this protection against abuse.)

The aim of the law was to silence the country's main Jeffersonian newspapers in the run-up to the election of 1800. Their editors and owners were indeed prosecuted, some for mere critical opinions or lampooning of President Adams.

Jefferson and James Madison, the author of the First Amendment, worked to rouse the public against the Sedition Act. They argued that the Federalists, by trying to silence speech critical of politicians, were taking America back to the British system — the tyranny of George III. And their arguments persuaded many, contributing to Jefferson's defeat of Adams.

When Jefferson took office, on March 4, 1801, he pardoned all those who had been convicted under the Sedition Act. In his Inaugural Address he opened his arms to his bitter opponents — and set out what I think is the true American attitude toward freedom of speech.

But once Jefferson was in office, he tried to censor the critical press.

“In his second term, in response to serious criticism from the New England newspapers … he instructed the state attorney generals in New England to prosecute the newspaper editors for sedition in the same way he had opposed such behavior when it was done by the federal government,” said Ellis, the historian.

The move further alienated Jefferson from the journalists, as well as the clergy.

It was during his second term in 1806 that Jefferson wrote to U.S. Rep. Barnabas Bidwell of Massachusetts, “As for what is not true you will always find abundance in the newspapers.”

The next year, Jefferson made his opinion known in a letter to John Norvell, a politician, lawyer and journalist who had written to him about plans to start his own newspaper.

“To your request of my opinion of the manner in which a newspaper should be conducted, so as to be most useful, I should answer, 'by restraining it to true facts and sound principles only,'" Jefferson said. “Yet I fear such a paper would find few subscribers. It is a melancholy truth, that a suppression of the press could not more completely deprive the nation of it's benefits, than is done by it's abandoned prostitution to falsehood.

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle.”

[‘Fake news’ has now lost all meaning]

Jefferson's presidency ended in 1809 — but his frustrations with the press did not.

In 1814, he said, “I deplore with you the putrid state into which our newspapers have passed, and the malignity, the vulgarity, and mendacious spirit of those who write for them.”

A year later, he wrote to James Monroe: “A truth now and then projecting into the ocean of newspaper lies, serves like head-lands to correct our course. Indeed, my skepticism as to everything I see in a newspaper, makes me indifferent whether I ever see one.”

And then again the next year: “From forty years' experience of the wretched guess-work of the newspapers of what is not done in open daylight, and of their falsehood even as to that, I rarely think them worth reading, and almost never worth notice.”

Monticello historian Christa Dierksheide said Jefferson was lamenting the press he envisioned when he first fought for its freedoms.

“As an idealist, he continued to hope that the press would overcome its partisan leanings,” she told The Post. “But that never happened.”

But, Dierksheide said, Jefferson still “held that a free press had to be protected.”

“He felt that a free press was an expression of the people's opinion,” she said, “and there had to be an outlet for their opinion because government was based on their opinion.”

This story has been updated.

126 Comments
The 5-Minute Fix newsletter

A must-read cheatsheet to keep you updated on politics, three days a week.

E-mail address

By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Lindsey Bever
Lindsey Bever is a general assignment reporter for The Washington Post, covering national news with an emphasis on health. She was previously a reporter at the Dallas Morning News. Follow 
subscribe
The story must be told.
Your subscription supports journalism that matters.
Try 1 month for $1
The Post Recommends

Giuliani stumbles into admitting Trump’s hush money payments were probably illegal
In an interview, Giuliani suggests it can't be a campaign finance violation if it benefits the candidate personally, too. That's false, but it's a tacit admission that this was geared toward the campaign.
1 hour ago

Colin Kroll, co-founder of Vine, founder of HQ Trivia, found dead in New York
Police found his body while conducting a welfare check at his New York City apartment.
4 hours ago
Podcasts

Murder With Impunity: Surrounded by homicide
A New Orleans mother who lost three children in homicides now fears for her last. Plus, a new report prepared for the Senate Intelligence Committee details how the Russians sought to influence the 2016 election in favor of Donald Trump.
Listen24:12
4 hours ago
PAID PROMOTED STORIES
 Top Divorce Lawyers for Dads in Valley City - See The List
Top Divorce Lawyers for Dads in Valley City - See The List
Divorce Attorney | Sponsored Listings
 Want Floyd's Secret To 'Celebrity White' Teeth?
Want Floyd's Secret To 'Celebrity White' Teeth?
special.trysnow.com
 The Genius Trick Every Bath & Body Works Shopper Should Know
The Genius Trick Every Bath & Body Works Shopper Should Know
Wikibuy
 10 Cheapest Small Towns in America
10 Cheapest Small Towns in America
Kiplinger
 [Pics] Leopard Falls Into A Well. The Next Thing That Happens Is Incredible
[Pics] Leopard Falls Into A Well. The Next Thing That Happens Is Incredible
Science Glory
 [Pics] Son Sees Parents Wedding Video, Then Spots Something That Takes His Breath Away
[Pics] Son Sees Parents Wedding Video, Then Spots Something That Takes His Breath Away
Ice Pop
Recommended by
Discussion Policy 126 Comments

The comment section on this story is now closed. All comment sections close after 14 days.
For more on how we manage comments and other feedback, please see our discussion and submission guidelines 
All Comments
Newest First 
Pause live updates
Cody Wendt
2/22/2017 1:30 AM EST
Jefferson's request that the state attorney general of New York pursue a case against newspapermen was not in contradiction of his pre-presidential opposition to the Alien and Sedition Acts, because it was always his position (expressed both before and after he was elected to the presidency) that the *federal* government had absolutely no power over the press under the Constitution, but that the *state* governments (per the 10th Amendment) were free to make laws prosecuting libelous material.
LikeShare
Jamz
2/19/2017 4:11 PM EST
Mr. Trump I knew Thomas Jefferson and you are no Thomas Jefferson.
LikeShare3
Ted Haigh
2/19/2017 12:30 PM EST
Newspapers in Jefferson's day were small affairs. They were basically unlabeled editorials voicing the opinions of the editor. There were Federalist papers, Whig papers, and a host of other partisanships, but there was no sense that newspapers were even supposed to be nonpartisan. They were the "Common Sense" of their time, advocating different views for or against affairs of the day. And they did it with satirical articles that made light of adversaries, and by cherry picking news events and public opinions to support their point of view.  

The polarization of politics and culture today mimics those newspapers on the Web. Most respected print papers at least try to strike a balance. There are exceptions like the NY Post and the Washington Times, but the preponderance of papers hold to some ethical pole in the current. Not so on the Web. Sources there are as virulent as papers at the end of the 18th Century.  

It is possible with smarts and ideals, to argue for a freedom writ large and still decry how it is implemented day to day. At the end of his life, every indication is that Jefferson still supported a free press writ large, while despairing the heavy handed partisanship of the press as a propaganda tool.  

I fear that Donald Trump makes little differentiation. If a fair press is critical, it isn't extraordinary to anticipate the object of the critique to learn from it. Trump sees any negative press as an attack without substance. That's a terrible shame, because it just isn't true. In so doing, President Trump is hurting our country.
LikeShare6
Larry W.
2/19/2017 5:55 PM EST
Well said and informative. Thank you.
Like3
Ted Haigh
2/19/2017 7:01 PM EST
I appreciate your saying. It's not everyday historical knowledge such as I have come in handy; it's good to know it's valued, thanks!
Like2
Bakersphil
2/19/2017 9:40 AM EST
Yes Mr. Trump we all remember when Thomas Jefferson went riding through the town in a pony screaming the "Swedish or coming" "the Swedish or coming" ...perhaps if you got your news from Michelle Bachmann and not Alex Jones you would be better informed.. but this rumor that's being bandied about that Sean The mighty Flynn" is going to be replaced by your spiritual advisor Alex Jones has the late night comics a little worried
LikeShare3
KWeberLit
2/18/2017 11:09 PM EST
The author of this article seems to think that when Jefferson called the press “the only tocsin of a nation" he was criticizing it. Not so. The context of the quote makes it clear Jefferson was not calling the press a "toxin" (i.e. a poison) but rather a "tocsin," which means a warning signal or bell.
LikeShare5
Larry W.
2/19/2017 6:00 PM EST [Edited]
I'm sorry they cut that out; It's a great line. It just needed to be moved to the "Jefferson says good thing about the press" section.
Larry W.
2/19/2017 6:07 PM EST
Here's the quote in context. President Jefferson in 1802, writing about Napoleonic France: 

"It delights me to find that there are persons who still think that all is not lost in France: that their retrogradation from a limited to an unlimited despotism, is but to give themselves a new impulse. But I see not how or when. The press, the only tocsin of a nation, is compleatly silenced there, and all means of a general effort taken away."
Patriots Bane
2/18/2017 9:53 PM EST [Edited]
And Trump used that quote about not trusting the press in that verbal mess that passed for a speech this afternoon. His characterization of the press today should give one pause - a horrified pause. It's going to be a terrifying in this country for however long this guy remains in office. 
LikeShare1
Tamar F
2/18/2017 11:12 PM EST
Yes, it seems that WP handed him a weapon. All he did was have someone look up the date. MISSING THE POINT, of course, that even presidents who tussled with the press thought that the free press was top priority!
6079 Smith W
2/18/2017 11:19 PM EST [Edited]
The free press and the politically powerful have always been at odds. It was so before the Presidency (Jefferson knew that and knew that a free press was crucial to prevent excesses or abuse of power), and it was so during Jefferson's Presidency (when he essentially saw the battle "from the other side"). I believe one way to put it which Jefferson would have understood is "hoisted by his own petard". I believe that our current President is learning that after using the free press to freely dish out criticism of the former President for at least five years, it is time for him to take it. 

Hoist away!
Like2
JuliusWagstaff
2/18/2017 8:20 PM EST
I can think of many countries that were taken over by a dictator who suppressed a free and independent press. I can't think of a single country in the history of the western world that was taken over by a free and independent press.
LikeShare2
Bullnose_02
2/18/2017 4:23 PM EST
Jefferson was operating in a nascent system of government and democratic liberties that had never been tried before. Constitutional limits, journalistic standards and societal norms were just beginning to be explored and developed. Trump® and his oafish criticisms, operate in a completely different context. Any purported similarity between the Don's utterances and Jefferson's is due to no more than an accident of using vaguely similar words. To find any substantive equivalency between them, itg is necessary to ignore the intervening 225+ years of experience and wisdom that our country and its systems have accumulated.
LikeShare3
Randy Bell
2/18/2017 4:50 PM EST
well said ..
Like2
nimblefingers36
2/18/2017 4:13 PM EST
Interesting article, but the writer adds to the demeaning of her profession by not doing adequate research on the "children with" Hemmings issue. [was later rumored to have had children with a slave at Monticello (now widely believed by historians)]. Writer Robert Mark, below, is quite correct.
LikeShare
Mark David Spence
2/18/2017 4:08 PM EST
These sorts of historical comparison articles invariably mislead. The Press during Jefferson's presidency was inordinately partisan and mendacious. And America's favorite slave holder was a primary agent in creating a press almost wholly grounded in slander and partisan innuendo. If Trump created Breitbart News, and the rest of the press was nothing more than various iterations of Breitbart and National Enquirer, then we might have a historical equivalency. Instead, we have a man in the White House who conflates truth with the limits of his ignorance. Fortunately, the First Amendment protects a press that is committed to stating a basic truth: the emperor is naked, and it's an ugly sight.
LikeShare3
Papa Foote
2/18/2017 3:38 PM EST [Edited]
FREE PRESS PROTECTS FREEDOM 

The Old Mountain Goat KNOWS - DO YOU"? 

"...“Thomas Jefferson was as irritated with newspaper coverage as any public figure of his era,” Ken Paulson, president of the Newseum Institute's First Amendment Center, told The Washington Post in an email. “For all the talk of media bias today, it can't compare to the overt partisanship and personal attacks appearing in papers in our nation's early years. But Jefferson also knew that our democracy could only flourish with a free press that would keep an eye on people in power and help protect our freedoms...."
LikeShare2
Robert Mark
2/18/2017 3:30 PM EST
Jefferson sued a pamphleteer whom he had once hired to spread rumors about his opponent, after that pamphleteer turned against his former retainer and published an article that Jefferson consorted with Sally Hemmings his slave, by whom he sired several offspring. Subsequent DNA tests have demonstrated that the Hemmings are Jefferson descendants, so this article's hedge is bunk: "Jefferson was a controversial presidential candidate, portrayed in the press as a Francophile and an atheist and was later rumored to have had children with a slave at Monticello (now widely believed by historians)."
LikeShare3
Cody Wendt
2/22/2017 1:36 AM EST
1. Jefferson did not "hire" Callender to spread the rumors, though he did donate $50 (a substantial sum) to him along with a letter praising his work. 
2. Jefferson never sued Callender, and in fact pardoned him and freed him after he had been imprisoned under the Adams administration's Alien and Sedition Acts. 
3. The DNA tests did not show a specific match for Thomas Jefferson, but showed that at least one of Hemings' sons appears to have been fathered by *some* male descendant of Jefferson's grandfather. This narrows it down and leaves Thomas Jefferson as a likely candidate given that he was the male with the most access to Sally Hemings (though there were other Jefferson men living in the area), but does not squarely prove the claim.
JackChanse
2/18/2017 2:55 PM EST
donald is setting up his base base for the inevitable release of intel evidence that Trump campaign and transition staff engaged in aiding the Russians to hack into the DNC and comforted them by telling them sanctions would not last.  

would trumpepes be put off by charges of espionage and treason? 

of course not. first the enemy is not the russians, it's the press. and secondly, who believes them anyway?
LikeShare2
Brigadier General Jack D Ripper
2/18/2017 2:49 PM EST
Fine, history lesson, some colorful perspective on a long tradition of presidents being frustrated by the press. But if that is in any way meant to neutralize the legitimate alarm many of us feel about a modern president demonizing the press, as Trump is doing, it's not working. Jefferson was one of our first presidents. He served when the press was not as sophisticated, nor as objective as it strives to be today. The whole point of the history of journalism has been to teach us how to be better at our jobs -- as in, more objective, non-partisan, and as even-handed as can be, regardless of one's personal political beliefs. WaPo and the NYT have been doing a superb job of getting back to the business of being members of the 4th Estate. Carry on!
LikeShare3
Ashland
2/18/2017 3:52 PM EST
The media is returning to Jeffersonian standards. The notion of an unbiased press is a fiction that the British freely acknowledge with no undue harm to the public. The press is really only unbiased when the public is mostly united around common attitudes and aspirations - a fading memory.
Brigadier General Jack D Ripper
2/18/2017 6:16 PM EST
Bull. While bias is impossible to erase, the noble tradition of seeking the truth, without being UNDULY biased remains a worthy aspiration with impressive results. To say that because eradicating bias completely is impossible, therefore, the best and brightest members of the press (aka, mainstream print journalism) are somehow compromised is ridiculous. The media's ethics are ever evolving -- The key question is -- in which direction?
Like2
Chip_M
2/18/2017 2:20 PM EST
Trump complains that the mainstream media is full of lies while publicly praising Alex Jones, undisputed king of publishing blatant, hysterical, and downright unhinged lies, conspiracy theories, and propaganda. Is Trump just that incomprehensibly stupid or that calculatingly shrewd? I'm going to go with the former, but either way, he has no credibility with which to stand in judgment. That's before even mentioning Steve Bannon. Trump doesn't deserve to share any part of a venn diagram with Thomas Jefferson.

43 minutes ago, jakeem said:

"The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."

-- Thomas Jefferson 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/17/trumps-war-with-the-media-isnt-new-thomas-jefferson-railed-about-newspaper-lies-too/?noredirect=on&amp;utm_term=.f55ffe45ca36

1 hour ago, HIGHWAY said:

Six Corporations Own 90% of News Media – Truth!

https://www.truthorfiction.com/six-corporations-own-90-percent-of-news-media/

A key point in the article is missing here relate to these 6 corporations,  that:  277 million Americans rely on for news and entertainment.

Uh,  don't be one of these 277 million Americans!    E.g. watch NHK,  France and BBC network.