Sign in to follow this  
TikiSoo

Anyone Here Not Celebrate Christmas?

81 posts in this topic

Found this beautiful gif animation of the Snow Maiden last year.

I have "One Two Three, Light The Christmas Tree" on DVD, the English version is a bit off - something lost in translation.  Like the Russian version better (also on DVD).

Masha as one is cute.

masha_and_the_bear_cartoon_girl_snow_mai

I thank you very much for posting those images! 

I believe the series is perfect in depicting Masha. You know instantly that she is willful and mischievous imp but she can look so sweet and innocent that you find you must forgive her.

I have not seen the English-version of the series. I have shown episodes to people who speak no Russian at all and they do not seem to mind that they can not understand the words.  

Tips:  take pictures of how you decorated so you will remember next year how you did it.  This may include the steps you take.  EX.  which table actually goes under the sheet you have a small tree on.  Attach tags to some things. 

I do that with my outside lights.but use a diagram that is carefully drawn, been using it for the past 20 years.

I still send Christmas cards too.  They're MUCH more personal and thoughtful than a Christmas "e-Card", and there's some "traditions" I simply REFUSE to surrender.

I also don't care for those Christmas "Newsletters" in which people brag about all the wonderful things they had happen over the last year and rub it in all our faces.   I couldn't care LESS about the "A" your kid got on some test.

Sepiatone

• Like 4

I do that with my outside lights.but use a diagram that is carefully drawn, been using it for the past 20 years.

I have some electric luminaries that we got years ago that have changeable "covers."  Set them up for Halloween, change to Thanksgiving and then to Christmas.  Have instructions on which extension cords to use, where to place them, when to change covers, times to set for timers and when to change timers as sundown changes.  Makes it go a whole lot quicker and less frustrating.

I have some electric luminaries that we got years ago that have changeable "covers."  Set them up for Halloween, change to Thanksgiving and then to Christmas.  Have instructions on which extension cords to use, where to place them, when to change covers, times to set for timers and when to change timers as sundown changes.  Makes it go a whole lot quicker and less frustrating.

My decorations, Halloween and Christmas (and other lighting) are controlled by X10 Home Automation. Can be controlled manually, computer programmed interface, infrared TV / RF remotes or telephone.

https://www.x10.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAhNnCBRCqkP6bvOjz_IwBEiQAMn_TMR7inmckT8mKUCX9gmjIRd-J6cGU8GRqYzZASYYSpEAaAnAH8P8HAQ

X10_Landing.jpg

Footnote....household wiring has to be noise free (from standard dimmers, switching power supplies, etc) for X10 to work properly.

My husband and I don't just due to an overall lack of motivation rather than any presence or lack of a creed. There's just the two of us. His grown children prefer to go to the beach house in NC where mom lives with rich retired Fed employee stepdad. I'm diabetic so I don't bake because there is notody to give the stuff to and I can't eat it myself. The last thing I want to do is encourage my overweight husband to eat megacarbs.  My only living relatives beside my sisters are my parents and aunt and all three live in a fog of dementia (they all are about 90) and often don't even know who I am. What's worse, my mom often confuses me for my paternal grandmother - dead these last 35 years - and in her old age really looses her resentment on the long dead old girl. I really don't like seeing or hearing that. Plus all of them are 1300 miles away.

Now that I've sucked the air and light out of your Christmas cheer I'll sit down and shut up.

My husband and I don't just due to an overall lack of motivation rather than any presence or lack of a creed. There's just the two of us. His grown children prefer to go to the beach house in NC where mom lives with rich retired Fed employee stepdad. I'm diabetic so I don't bake because there is notody to give the stuff to and I can't eat it myself. The last thing I want to do is encourage my overweight husband to eat megacarbs.  My only living relatives beside my sisters are my parents and aunt and all three live in a fog of dementia (they all are about 90) and often don't even know who I am. What's worse, my mom often confuses me for my paternal grandmother - dead these last 35 years - and in her old age really looses her resentment on the long dead old girl. I really don't like seeing or hearing that. Plus all of them are 1300 miles away.

Now that I've sucked the air and light out of your Christmas cheer I'll sit down and shut up.

That's OK calvinnme...you didn't suck out any cheer (not with me anyway).  Christmas and New Year's is often a time of introspection for many people.  You've just stated what's going on in your life and how that impacts how you and yours celebrate the season.  Several people I went to school with and played Little League ball with died this year, and most of their deaths were sudden and unexpected.  I think of their families from time to time and how difficult it must be for them to handle their loss...not just now, but any other time of the year too.

My decorations, Halloween and Christmas (and other lighting) are controlled by X10 Home Automation. Can be controlled manually, computer programmed interface, infrared TV / RF remotes or telephone.

https://www.x10.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAhNnCBRCqkP6bvOjz_IwBEiQAMn_TMR7inmckT8mKUCX9gmjIRd-J6cGU8GRqYzZASYYSpEAaAnAH8P8HAQ

X10_Landing.jpg

Footnote....household wiring has to be noise free (from standard dimmers, switching power supplies, etc) for X10 to work properly.

Since you use X-10s, you're probably at least not one of those Light-O-Rama guys. 

:P

(Light-O-Rama is essentially a consumer-grade lighting control system which follows a set of programmed cues, you them see pop up at residences and businesses around Christmas)

http://www.lightorama.com/

Some people get into that, but it's not really me. 

I have been going through trial and error, using different common available lighting technologies, to obtain the best color temperatures for outdoor floodlights.  Clear Halogens still make the best reds, while Daylight LEDs produce the best greens and blues.  Outdoors I have the PAR38 floodlight versions of these lights, mounted in fixtures that have filter holders.  The filters are Lee Filters, a mainstay with theater, stage, and film, used for for color calibration.  I use primary red filters with the halogen bulbs (these bulbs color is about 2750k-2900K which naturally produce a good amount of red, but a poor amount of blue).  I then use primary green and primary blue filters with the 5000K Daylight LED bulbs (those bulbs produce an abundant amount of yellow-white-blue - which includes green, but a poor amount of red).  In addition the halogens would probably be optimal for orange, and either one could probably be used for yellow.

That's a whole different world than just getting the colored PAR38 halogen or tungsten bulbs from Home Depot that just have paint on the front (and not very good colors at that).

TMI...I know.

Soooo, I guess the answer is EVERYBODY celebrates except for calvinme & myself!

(I just wondered if there were anyone of different faiths or cultures in this group)

Here's one way to look at it....

A comic strip I read( yeah, I STILL read the "comics" section of the newspaper) has a strip called GRAND AVENUE in which they are running a series of strips  "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas when..."  and today's was.....

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas when......

You can't stop thinking about the presence!    :)

Sepiatone

Here's one way to look at it....

A comic strip I read( yeah, I STILL read the "comics" section of the newspaper) has a strip called GRAND AVENUE in which they are running a series of strips  "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas when..."  and today's was.....

You can't stop thinking about the presence!    :)

Sepiatone

I'm going to celebrate Christmas by jumping into an oversized Salvation Army pot.

• Like 2

Since you use X-10s, you're probably at least not one of those Light-O-Rama guys. 

:P

(Light-O-Rama is essentially a consumer-grade lighting control system which follows a set of programmed cues, you them see pop up at residences and businesses around Christmas)

http://www.lightorama.com/

Some people get into that, but it's not really me. 

I have been going through trial and error, using different common available lighting technologies, to obtain the best color temperatures for outdoor floodlights.  Clear Halogens still make the best reds, while Daylight LEDs produce the best greens and blues.  Outdoors I have the PAR38 floodlight versions of these lights, mounted in fixtures that have filter holders.  The filters are Lee Filters, a mainstay with theater, stage, and film, used for for color calibration.  I use primary red filters with the halogen bulbs (these bulbs color is about 2750k-2900K which naturally produce a good amount of red, but a poor amount of blue).  I then use primary green and primary blue filters with the 5000K Daylight LED bulbs (those bulbs produce an abundant amount of yellow-white-blue - which includes green, but a poor amount of red).  In addition the halogens would probably be optimal for orange, and either one could probably be used for yellow.

That's a whole different world than just getting the colored PAR38 halogen or tungsten bulbs from Home Depot that just have paint on the front (and not very good colors at that).

TMI...I know.

I just use plain floodlights on front of house.  Don't believe anybody uses colored floodlights.

It is a problem now finding ones that actually produce light compared to ones that last a long time, but have weak light.

(I just wondered if there were anyone of different faiths or cultures in this group)

There are plenty here of different faiths (or no faith) and cultures, Tiki, but that doesn't necessarily relate to celebrating the holidays, it seems.  Maybe people don't want to feel left out, or they find comfort in continuing the traditions they experienced in their youth. 

We've been in a constant state of upheaval since moving from OH 9 years ago and haven't settled down enough to bother with trees, presents, decorations and other niceties.  The one tradition we do indulge in is having a good meal and settling down to watch football (like on Thanksgiving) but other than that, it's just another day. 

Christmas and other holidays seem to be more about consumerism these days anyway, so I don't feel like we're missing out on anything.

I'm going to celebrate Christmas by jumping into an oversized Salvation Army pot.

Ya have to be a NFL fan to get this one here, folks.

(...and bein' one, I thought this was pretty funny, DGF)

I will celebrate if the Cowboys lose. The sooner, the better.

I bought a cheap made in China Solar Snowflakes thingamajig.

It's suppose to collect energy during the day and keep the

blue snowflake lights on at night. The problem is the on off

button is confusing. Have to see what happens over the next

few days.

I celebrate but keep it low-key as I've been by myself for several years and spend Thanksgiving with nearby friends.  I have a nice dinner and wine on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  I work a part-time retail gig on Christmas Eve day and if you've ever worked retail during the holiday you know what that's like.  At least our store is a small shop catering to people who are into birdwatching & nature but I've worked the holidays at big retailers, too.  I watch a lot of NBA on Christmas.  There's also some pro football this year I will check out.  Sometime during the evening I will probably talk on the phone with my best friends back in Illinois. Sepiatone, I also still send out Christmas cards - no email cards, real ones.  I have a few decorations and I do love Christmas lights so I have multi colored lights around my house plants in my front window and red lights in my kitchen window.  There's enough stress in life so I try to keep the stress level at a minimum this time of year.

As far as Jesus goes, I am a Christian and I will say prayers on Christmas Day.  In addition to my usual prayers I will be asking for "Peace on Earth" more than ever because we sure could use it. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY WHETHER YOU CELEBRATE A LOT, A LITTLE OR NOT AT ALL & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Like 2

Ya have to be a NFL fan to get this one here, folks.

(...and bein' one, I thought this was pretty funny, DGF)

I didn't get the joke until I saw Colin Cowherd discuss this on his T.V. Talk show.    The debate was that Elliot wasn't fined and Beckham and other players that have been fined for excess celebrations are upset.    So this weekend expect to see some really out-there celebrations as a way to goat Roger Goodell.     

As for Christmas being on Sunday;   While one could say Sunday is the perfect day for Christmas,  it really does mess with scheduling.    E.g. The NBA and the networks that will be carrying their games can't be happy that they have to compete with the NFL.     What day is the non-work day,  Friday or Monday (its Monday for most folks).

In addition I just got a call from the sanitation department advising homeowners that trash pick-up would be on the 'Normal' day,  Tuesday.    Typically when Monday is a holiday,  the pick-up is one day latter than 'normal'. 

I believe that you would have similar results on any American-based forum. The celebration of Christmas is a cultural standard. 

I know a Muslim who buys Christmas gifts for his nieces and nephews because it cuts down on family acrimony and/or the need to explain his faith to children who are unable to conceptualize such subtle differences.

• Like 3

And btw, I especially liked what midwesty said here..."I don't care if people say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", or "Season's Greetings"...it's the sentiment behind the statement that I appreciate."

It is my wont to say: "Happy Christmas." I believe this may be due to my teachers being British expatriates. 

• Like 1

It is my wont to say: "Happy Christmas." I believe this may be due to my teachers being British expatriates. 

Yeah, well, just as long as you don't start referrin' to Santa Claus as "Father Christmas" you'll be okay, Sans!

(...AND of course that you remember the REST of the year that there's no good reason at all for those lousy superfluous-U's in this language)

;)

those lousy superfluous-U's in this language)

Should that not be: "those losy sperflos- 's in this langage"?

You can't stop thinking about the presence!   

The presence of whom?

...or did you mean the "presents"?

We already have so much, I'm trying to re-home much of everything I have. Maybe that just comes with old age, I didn't feel so "scrooge-y" about it when I was in my 20's & 30's.

I DO love the old songs that get trotted out this time of year, and the stories. I love watching Christmas movies too. I guess it's just the gift part that I'd rather not participate.

Now back to my gruel.....

• Like 1

No TIKI, it was "presence" , and you KNOW "whom".  And a clever use of "word play" if I say so myself!

Sepiatone