Sign in to follow this  
fxreyman

TCM Remebers 2016 on FaceBook...

56 posts in this topic

Did I miss Muhammad Ali or something? He not only appeared in films, but films also were made about him. He transcended sports.

tumblr_m60314LpKc1qedb29o1_500.gif

Has anyone got another link? (YouTube, etc)

Some of us don't use facebook

not on youtube yet

give 'em a day or 2

:)

I saw this year's tribute for the first time this afternoon.  It came on after "Monkey Business" aired on TCM.  It was good, as usual.  I liked the music they selected for those in the movie business who died in 2016.  The ending was pretty poignant and appropriate, but I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.  

Did I miss Muhammad Ali or something? He not only appeared in films, but films also were made about him. He transcended sports.

tumblr_m60314LpKc1qedb29o1_500.gif

Jkeem, I ALREADY HAVE IT IN FAVS. BUT RARELY CHECK IT OUT I ALSO WRITE-IN (tcm fanatics (a celebration of hollywoods golden age) is that it, because a newer one popped up on fb too

tcm fans or something like that> I don't really read/write on that one

& speaking of tcm fanatics-(jOHN TOLL IS MAIN EDITOR)

I JUST STARTED AN #11th FANS POLL ON IT, IN LIGHTOF *OSCAR SEASON & THAT DANNY PEARY BOOK,etc

WHAT PERFORMAMNCES REALLY DESERVED TO WIN, NO MATTER IF THEY WERE NOMMED OR NOT?

They missed Anne Jackson, too.....

If they didn't include Annie, I don't want to see it. Did they include Fritz Weaver?

Great Job TCM!

Marvelous ending.

I was glad (and sad) to see my friends Richard Davalos and Jack Riley included.

We sure lost a lot of great talent this year.

Yancey

I won't watch it until someone tells me they've added Anne Jackson and Fritz Weaver.

I'm in the minority, but I was disappointed with this year's TCM Remembers. The singer's voice was very warbly. The way some of the clips were presented were weird. (Poor Gloria DeHaven and Hugh O'Brian were camouflaged into walls.) It was nice, however, to see Gene Wilder,  Alan Rickman, Doris Roberts, Gloria DeHaven, Hugh O'Brian, Richard Davalos, Anton Yelchin, and especially my darling Robert Vaughn again.

I apologize in advance for sounding like a prude, but everything I wrote above is my opinion.

• Like 3

It's also on TCM.com

I really dislike when they show clips from a movie prominently featuring actors who haven't passed on.  Realize this is to identify with the non-actor associated with the movie, but very confusing.

One this time was the scene from Pretty Woman with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts.  I know why they used it, but how about just show the title from the movie?

• Like 1

I really liked the TCM Remembers spot and the ending with Gene Wilder's from Blazing Saddle.  How I loved that movie and I remember the laugh out loud moments.  For some reason I was really worried the segment wouldn't appear as it seems that TCM has stopped producing original productions with interviews and for some reason this year there were no segments aired from the TCM Classic Cruise. 

I believe I am losing TCM to a different audience than mine and I understand the need to attract new viewers but don't see the need to lose older audiences.   I can't help but feel that with Robert's loss of influence the channel will make changes that I may not be so inclined to enjoy.   Merry Christmas TCM'ers and Happy Chanukah. 

I won't watch it until someone tells me they've added Anne Jackson and Fritz Weaver.

Also missng:

Margaret Whitton

Bobby Breen

Tammy Grimes

Paul Sylbert

Robert Horton

Alexandre Astruc

Ann Morgan Guilbert

Bud Spencer

Al Brodax

• Like 1

Also missng:

Margaret Whitton

Bobby Breen

Tammy Grimes

Paul Sylbert

Robert Horton

Alexandre Astruc

Ann Morgan Guilbert

Bud Spencer

Al Brodax

I worked with Tammy once, but I knew Annie quite well; and Fritz was a close friend.

It's also on TCM.com

I really dislike when they show clips from a movie prominently featuring actors who haven't passed on.  Realize this is to identify with the non-actor associated with the movie, but very confusing.

One this time was the scene from Pretty Woman with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts.  I know why they used it, but how about just show the title from the movie?

I know what ya mean here, Cid. However, yes, while I suppose showing that scene of PRETTY WOMAN immediately following that shot of Gary Marshall might make sense, the thing in this baby that REALLY seems out of place was that shot of Jeff Bridges as "The Dude" in THE BIG LEBOWSKI that they showed right after showing deceased actor David Huddleston's appearance in that film and then immediately after that, that shot of deceased actor George Gaynes.

(...'cause for a second there I thought to myself, "Wow, I didn't know Jeff Bridges had bitten the dust TOO this year?!!!")

• Like 2

I know what ya mean here, Cid. However, yes, while I suppose showing that scene of PRETTY WOMAN immediately following that shot of Gary Marshall might make sense, the thing in this baby that REALLY seems out of place was that shot of Jeff Bridges as "The Dude" in THE BIG LEBOWSKI that they showed right after showing deceased actor David Huddleston's appearance in that film and then immediately after that, that shot of deceased actor George Gaynes.

(...'cause for a second there I thought to myself, "Wow, I didn't know Jeff Bridges had bitten the dust TOO this year?!!!")

I never did understand the connection you mentioned about Jeff Bridges - I thought he had died and I missed it.

Whoever  does this for TCM needs to realize that probably 80% of people do not remember who the producer, director or writer was for movies made more than a year ago, it they ever knew.  Especially true for cinematographers and others.

• Like 1

I never did understand the connection you mentioned about Jeff Bridges - I thought he had died and I missed it.

Whoever  does this for TCM needs to realize that probably 80% of people do not remember who the producer, director or writer was for movies made more than a year ago, it they ever knew.  Especially true for cinematographers and others.

Never saw Bridges as "The Dude" in that film, eh Cid? If not, you should. It's another of the Coen Bros' entertainingly offbeat films. But then again as you know, some folks like their films and others don't.

And yeah, as I said earlier, like you, for a second after seeing that shot of him included in this tribute, I too thought he might have died and somehow missed hearing of it and before realizing that the shot of Huddleston was in that same scene in that film with Bridges, with Huddleston playing the title character in it.

(...and yeah again,  I'd think when they'd show, say, someone who's career was primarily behind the camera such as a cinematographer, they might consider including the title of at least one of their most memorable credits under or next to their name)

• Like 1

Great Job TCM!

Marvelous ending.

I was glad (and sad) to see my friends Richard Davalos and Jack Riley included.

We sure lost a lot of great talent this year.

Yancey

WOW, you musta' beeninvolved in some capacity with Hollywood, if you don't mind what was it & who are a few of the others you knew?

Not that this one's important to submit, but just got e mail notices that *Oscar nominee for 1952's "Moulin' Rouge" (***1/2)died at 99!

She's likely to be interred in "Westwood, cem" because her much nicer sis Eva has been for yrs now

But, to the TCM-ITE(sorry, missed you name) that has yet to catch 1998's terrific *Coen Bros. comedy "The Big Lebowski" (a strong 3 & 1/2) & though it only sold $17m. in tickets, it's cult is getting bigger everyday. I knew a taxi-driver who's fav. movie was it, his hero was Jeff Bridges & he made it his pilgrimage to go to Hollywood-(Venice Beach area) & somehow meet Jeff & he achieved his goal too! Even getting a selfie & autograph. & John Goodman possibly had thee funniest role of his strong career in it as well. Close w/*Coen Bros. 1991 "Barton Fink" (***) I did get to visit Venice Beach on last trip in 05. Jim Morrison isidolized all over the area. & the area we were allowed to stop in for about an hr &1/2-(tour bus of 5 & 1/2

hours though! Was kjinda' fun in just putting your feet in that water-(pacific) & only had little ripples going) Due to growing up all over NJ. Next time you see some of "White Men Can't Jump" "American History X" & others, those were the basketball courts we hung out at. & even better true trivia; *Welles shot his "Touch of Evil" all around Venice Beach-(standing in for Mexico)

My personal fav. *Coen Bros. flix to date:

1st "Miller's Crossing" (l990 ($5m.) (in the cinema yr of the gangster i.e. "GFIII" "GoodFellas" "State of Grace" "The Krays" & even "Dick Tracy" people have finally caught up to this very original-(dialogue) masterpiece & w/a superb score by Carter Burwell)

2. "Fargo" (l996) ($24m.) (had no shot vs. *"E,. Patient" in that yrs *Academy Awards,but put a dent anyway.) (This was easily among Gene Siskel's most raved about movies!)

3. "Raising Arizona"(l987)(strong ***1/2) (& the 1 that really pout them on the map, though 1984's "Blood Simple" came 1st)-(& again, he loves using composer C. Burwell)

4th "The Big Lebowski" (most would rate their 2007 *Oscar sweeper *"No Country for 0ld Men" higher & it's very strong, especially *J. Bardem in a superb & *Oscar winner villainous role) "THE DUDE"

(ALSO-RAN: "O, Brother Where Art Though?" (2000) ($45m.) (3 & 1/2)(*Clooney's made 5 to 6 td w/the duo. About the same as Goodman, I think? & to you true classic cinema buffs, you know where that title comes from!?)

THANX

Zsa Zsa was never an Oscar nominee!!

Hibi is correct. Gabor, however, was nominated for an Emmy and won a Special Achievement Golden Globe.

The Oscar winning and nominated actors who passed this year are George Kennedy, Patty Duke, Gene Wilder (for both acting and writing), and Robert Vaughn.

If there's anyone I missed, please tell me.