BLACHEFAN

Guest Programmers and their Films

95 posts in this topic

Seeing a true nice guy listed Dick Cavett, he'd also be a fine host!   I love when tcm airs those superb interviews with him & several heavyweights like *Kate, Mitchum, *Brando, Hitch & others

Don't think Leonard Maltin has yet to be a "GP" or has he? But his top 4 are>

*"Casablanca"

"The Maltese Falcon" (l94l version)

"Kane"

& "Singin' In the Rain"

He lists "Dumbo" as his 6th

To ToBilled, Jakeem & LawrenceA, if you hasd to chose just (4) & were a "GP" what would they be buddies?

When pressed for the question Johnny Carson chose *"Casablanca"

The late Tom Snyder *"Rebecca" & his movie hero was *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" & *Ingrid Bergman his all-time fav. actress

Hefner's idol was *Bogey & his mansion was close to *Bogart's holmby hills hoiuse

This got deleted for some reason, again? I just wanted to throw my hat in & give my own top four favs if I wre ever a tcm "Guest Programmer"   Just now finally able to log back in & after 5 tries to tcm moderator?

Just  wanted to throw my fedora in & list my own top (4) if I was ever lucky enough to be a "GP"

1st & foremost *"The Godfather" (l972) however & still for some reason the network doesn't have the legal rights to broadcast it?

So here goes  "Kane" (l941-RKO Radio) (I agree with the masses & it truly is thee greatest motion picture ever made!)

"Captains Courageous" (l937 MGM) (even *"The Great: Tracy" wrote in his diary that this & "Nuremberg" were his best films, but barely over the superb 1955 "Bad Day at Black Rock" (M-G-M))

"Some Came Running" (l958 MGM) (not *"The Chairman's" best of his (58) but I just like it best & *Scorsese ranks this among his all-timers)

& "Inside Daisy Clover" (l965) (far from Natalie's finest, that honor must go to 1961's "Splendor in the Grass" But I just can't stop watching her in this one)

THANK YOIU & WELCOME ANY COMMENTS

& I must cast a few candidate for my mother   

*"Dances With Wolves" (l990) though a couple of her favs are too long for broadcast)

*"Gone with the Wind" (l939 Selznick/MGM) (now ridiculously being banned from theaters???)

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" (l942-Warner Bros.)

& if time the 1992 version of "Last of the Mohicans"

Hello Spence,

I like the film choices that you selected from the list that I had to type down. Some of the films that I selected were either films that never got a chance to be shown on television or films that had not been shown on TCM at least more than once or twice.

Spence, Leonard Maltin was a guest programmer on TCM as part of the TCM Spotlight Critic's Corner and the two films that he selected were Penthouse (1933) and Skyscraper Souls (1932).

Who would you want to be a guest programmer on TCM to share their favorite movies that have influenced their career or are films that they enjoyed?

What I have found fascinating about the film Monsieur Verdoux (1947) is that this underrated Charlie Chaplin comedy was meant to move away from the light-hearted comedies Chaplin was known for creating when it comes to writing, acting and directing; as well as producing his own films. This bravura performance that he displays throughout the entire film showcases his willingness of going into dark subject matter while keeping his liberal agenda intact on film. It was Chaplin's biggest flop of the post-war era, but it is an important reminder that even great artists like Chaplin can create artistic films without going against the nth degree of what is distasteful to the audience and what is considered art. It was the film that Bill Cosby introduced in January 2005. But the consequence of this comedian and the film that he selected are not similar to the crime that he was accused of in 2014 by dozens, if not multiple women who threw allegations of sexual criminal activity over the years. 

• Like 1

I watched the film "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" (1932) several days ago. It was a heartfelt and compelling film that I notice is relevant in today's climate regarding social and political injustice in the United States today. The main character played by Paul Muni is a war veteran who came back home from the war and is struggling to look for work all across the United States, but he finds himself in trouble when he is part of a shooting that he is not a part of. It's message of social injustice and unrest is a good reason of why films of that subject matter ring true in today's culture.

• Thanks 1

The other film that I watched several days ago from the library was "The Lady From Shanghai" (1948). This film is pretty interesting in that it is one of the few films that was created by Orson Welles with special thanks to William Castle, that the film became an unusual film when it was first released in 1948. I watched this film with audio commentary by Peter Bogdanovich as he provided anecdotes about how he came across this film, his interview with Orson Welles, the debunking of rumors that surrounded Welles' film when it was first shown in theaters, and the cult status that elevated the movie to become a film classic. It is an unusual film from Orson Welles, with his haunting cinematography, score, acting and sequences that were originally planned when Welles wrote meticulous notes about the specifics of how it should be played out throughout the making of the film.

• Like 1

One of the films that I was attracted to when I was in film class at Hillsborough Community College was the film "Miami Connection" (1987). It is a genre bending film directed by Y.K. Kim. It combines martial arts and boy band films of the 1980s decade set in the city of Orlando, Florida as well as the city of Miami. It is an unusual film, but it is a lot of fun, if you get a chance to enjoy the corniness of it all. The film was originally not a commercial or critical success in the Orlando area. The film put Y.K. Kim in debt as he struggled to grapple with the film's failure. Overtime the film was shown at underground theaters across the United States and it was in 2012 that Drafthouse Films restored and re-released the film and it gained critical and commercial reception all throughout the country. This film has been shown in dozens of theaters across the country for its newfound audience of corny 1980s action, martial arts, rock music and over-the-top acting that you have to see to believe. This is a film that is a must-see and one that I would highly recommend.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, BLACHEFAN said:

Hello Spence,

I like the film choices that you selected from the list that I had to type down. Some of the films that I selected were either films that never got a chance to be shown on television or films that had not been shown on TCM at least more than once or twice.

As they say that's horse racin' right   Al subjective   Strangely though Robert Wagner selected the tremendous "BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK" over any other of his idol *Tracy's 74 flix. Not to take anything away from it, it's almost a (tie)( between it & "C. Courageous" as my fav. of his.

Another strange thing is that the legendary & most famous picture ever made *"
GWTW" was hardly chosen by all?

19 hours ago, BLACHEFAN said:

The other film that I watched several days ago from the library was "The Lady From Shanghai" (1948). This film is pretty interesting in that it is one of the few films that was created by Orson Welles with special thanks to William Castle, that the film became an unusual film when it was first released in 1948. I watched this film with audio commentary by Peter Bogdanovich as he provided anecdotes about how he came across this film, his interview with Orson Welles, the debunking of rumors that surrounded Welles' film when it was first shown in theaters, and the cult status that elevated the movie to become a film classic. It is an unusual film from Orson Welles, with his haunting cinematography, score, acting and sequences that were originally planned when Welles wrote meticulous notes about the specifics of how it should be played out throughout the making of the film.

A fine yet bizarre film by *Orson. His Irish accent came & went a wee--bit.   After the split Hayworth said it was exhausting living with a genius  unquote

Everette Sloane stole the show acting wise, sadly he was going blind for yrs & killed himself in '65

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, BLACHEFAN said:

What I have found fascinating about the film Monsieur Verdoux (1947) is that this underrated Charlie Chaplin comedy was meant to move away from the light-hearted comedies Chaplin was known for creating when it comes to writing, acting and directing; as well as producing his own films. This bravura performance that he displays throughout the entire film showcases his willingness of going into dark subject matter while keeping his liberal agenda intact on film. It was Chaplin's biggest flop of the post-war era, but it is an important reminder that even great artists like Chaplin can create artistic films without going against the nth degree of what is distasteful to the audience and what is considered art. It was the film that Bill Cosby introduced in January 2005. But the consequence of this comedian and the film that he selected are not similar to the crime that he was accused of in 2014 by dozens, if not multiple women who threw allegations of sexual criminal activity over the years. 

Over the years since it's initial release many critics, historians,etc outright insist *Charlie deserved not only another acting nomination, but to win too!

(TRIVIA: Best Actor for 1947 were>

*Ronald Colman in "A Double Life" (WON)

John Garfield, "Body and Soul"

Gregory Peck, "Gentleman's Agreement"

William Powell, "Life With Father"-(NYFCC winner)

& Michael Redgrave, "Mourning Becomes Electra"

(s. actor winner *Edmund Gwenn in "Miracle on 34th Street" really shoulda' been in that lead slot instead)

A movie that I highly recommend about the making of a movie in a movie is called "American Movie" (1999). A documentary about a young filmmaker making his own independent movie that the main filmmaker had never completed since 1991. The filmmaker is Mark Borchardt who was originally inspired to direct another film for his community in the midwest, but in a sudden turn of events, decides to complete his low-budget horror film "Coven" (2000). But along the way he encounters financial problems, weather issues, and other production issues that start to go haywire. It is a funny film, and an interesting look into independent filmmaking when things don't always go according to plan from the filmmakers vision and mindset.

I always wondered if TCM were calling back the same people from the previous years to provide more movies to see on TCM. But I always find it strange to bring John Landis back. Why not bring Joe Dante or Eric Stoltz as a guest programmer? Or maybe Barry Jenkins or the guests featured in the Adventures in Moviemaking from the Criterion Collection?

Maybe somebody like Jim Jarmusch could be brought on to list his favorite movies as a guest programmer. He makes some great films that rely more on substance in its content than showcasing the spectacle.