BLACHEFAN

Guest Programmers and their Films

126 posts in this topic

I remember one of the first cinema fan-sites which came out on the web, had a 'virtual' concession-stand in a 'virtual lobby'. From the comfort and convenience of your keyboard and mouse, (& Gateway monitor) you could purchase 'virtual' Goobers and Raisinets, popcorn, etc. Of course you couldn't eat any of this virtual food but while you chatted about movie-trivia you could....well, I don't know. Imagine eating these tasty treats?

That's about how seriously I take all this kind of thing.

THANX ONCE AGAIN FOR FAST REPLY!    You got me though w/unpredictable picks

Only one I saw back in Jan. 1985 was MASS APPEAL   Matter of fact I won a poster at that theatre-(long  gone) due to winning an *Oscar contest for 1984

My voite as *LEMMON'S all-time finest work as an actor though myself is as Shelly "The Machine" Levine in '92's GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS-(outrageously no nomination though?)

& caught some of Hitchcock's I CONFESS  Reckon' then it's probably your fav. of his huh?

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, BLACHEFAN said:

What I have found fascinating about the film Monsieur Verdoux (1947) is that this underrated Charlie Chaplin comedy was meant to move away from the light-hearted comedies Chaplin was known for creating when it comes to writing, acting and directing; as well as producing his own films. This bravura performance that he displays throughout the entire film showcases his willingness of going into dark subject matter while keeping his liberal agenda intact on film. It was Chaplin's biggest flop of the post-war era, but it is an important reminder that even great artists like Chaplin can create artistic films without going against the nth degree of what is distasteful to the audience and what is considered art. It was the film that Bill Cosby introduced in January 2005. But the consequence of this comedian and the film that he selected are not similar to the crime that he was accused of in 2014 by dozens, if not multiple women who threw allegations of sexual criminal activity over the years. 

Always for my $$$ *CHAPLIN is the all-time, all-around Genius of M.O.V.I.E.S.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, BLACHEFAN said:

Richard Linklater with Robert Osborne September 4, 2014

Some Came Running (1958)

https://youtu.be/MIsgjVx5W_U

https://youtu.be/6erU9QXppJ8

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

https://youtu.be/YOytcsZ1AJA

https://youtu.be/qYib2x6gW9o

Fanny and Alexander (1982)

https://youtu.be/pwc2Oq9CWB8

https://youtu.be/cD3NhWew0J8

SOME CAME RUNNING is my own favourite *FS picture   Same goes for *SCORSESE'S  & it's among my own top (4) choices if I were ever a GP

Along with KANE, CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS & SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS   *GFI  would easily be included but the network has never aired it, yet anyway

THANX AGAIN!

(*-always indicates AMPAS winner)  The legendary *CLINT EASTWOOD-(l930-) would be a superb choice for TCM as a "GP"  Coming up once again-(Dec. 14th) in THE MULE

I do know he's always voted *Ford's magnificent 1941 *OSCAR sweeping (& even over KANE!) 

*HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (Fox)  & his idols have always been: *COOPER, *STEWART & *CAGNEY

Among the TCM guest programmers that I thought had the most interesting movies selected from the TCM vault, I thought that the films chosen by Tom Kenny (voice actor/comedian) featuring bravura performances by Jack Lemmon - How to Murder Your Wife (1965), Mickey Rooney - The Strip (1951), Peter Lorre - Mad Love (1935), and Lon Chaney - He Who Gets Slapped (1924) was the most interesting of the bunch.

If there were any guest programmers that would be coming to TCM and select their favorite movies, I was hoping for Joe Dante, Joel Hodgson, Mick Garris, Karyn Kusama, Allison Anders, Kathryn Bigelow, or Peter Bogdanovich would be my favorite choices or 'Weird Al' Yankovic.

• Like 1

Spence, If i had to pick at least four films that I would select as a TCM guest programmer they would be:

FRITZ THE CAT (1972)

988966117_fritzthecat.jpg.931ab8b0c927e97fcb1049a1f884e96b.jpg

AKIRA (1988)

akira.jpg.e0d18976db35857dcbdb865acb580a21.jpg

LIFE OF BRIAN (1979)

672947522_lifeofbrian.jpg.d085189e913422b99aefaa79ccc45be6.jpg

UHF (1989)

uhf.jpg.fd4e7122ae81023af1469a411dc0f94a.jpg

Spence, are you watching the TCM Fan Dedications this week and next week?

Was anyone able to catch the TCM Spotlight: Fan Dedications last week or early this week? I cannot afford to watch the channel because it is too expensive as part of the Spectrum cable bundle package. I was only able to catch a glimpse of the guest programmers on twitter that only lasted for less than a minute.

I have read some of your posts about guest programmers that would have been on TCM. For me, I would have seen either Joe Dante, Kathryn Bigelow, Kasi Lemmons, Josh Olson, Mary Lambert, Brian Trenchard Smith, Julie Dash, Penelope Spheeris, Edward James Olmos, Mark Hammil or Maurice LaMarche.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2016 at 4:52 PM, TopBilled said:

Thanks for providing this information. It might help if you could format it with more spacing between sections so it is easier to read. I like how you have included whether something is a repeat.

got 'em again pal   thank you as usual  mr tcm

Thanks for providing this information. It might help if you could format it with more spacing between sections so it is easier to read. I like how you have included whether something is a repeat.

got 'em again pal   thank you as usual  mr tcm  and to bleachfan

• Like 1

and thanks right back you  reckon' they somewhat stopped this marvelous idea after osbo went, huh

and that note do you have just 4 if you were on the air buddy

Think I posted mine before, just in case and again given no *GFI or *GFII plus Uncle Walt's tremendous features  mine would have to be>  VS  yours of course???

Kane, either Bad Day at Black Rock (l955 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) or Captains Courageous (l937 MGM) 

Some Came Running ('58 MGM) and Natalie's vastly underrated 1965 Inside Daisy Clover   not particular my fav flix, just tried to cover the ground

her favorite & definitive role in 1961's Splendor in the Grass is greater, I just love watching Daisy more

thank you again   Mr. TCM

think you may have scooped me Bleachfan, who is the lady?   looks like a very young Margaret Dumont

Again to bleachfan, I may have overlooked yours, but exactly where are they pal please?   Plus, pretty certain saw Michael J. Fox before and jotted them down like all the rest,, can you point me to them as well?

(NOTE: It was bizarre that Burt Reynolds did not select one of his all-time hero & idol; *The Great: Spencer Tracy?

Per usual thanx topbilled & some interesting choices of course!

& for the bean counters out there & for those that just adore stats keeping like you, myself & tons of others  Can someone please add up the CHAMPS?  which GP chose was picked the most by well over 100 Guest Programmers?

Just taking them in, it seems & barely mind you Treasure Sierra Madre may lead the field, please let me know   

Given your tcm-ite knowledge, do you somewhat agree?

& *Gone With the Wind has hardly been chosen by the way?

1 minute ago, spence said:

Per usual thanx topbilled & some interesting choices of course!

& for the bean counters out there & for those that just adore stats keeping like you, myself & tons of others  Can someone please add up the CHAMPS?  which GP chose was picked the most by well over 100 Guest Programmers?

Just taking them in, it seems & barely mind you Treasure Sierra Madre may lead the field, please let me know   

Given your tcm-ite knowledge, do you somewhat agree?

& *Gone With the Wind has hardly been chosen by the way?

I think A PLACE IN THE SUN has been chosen often and so has NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

• Like 1

KNREW YOU'D HAVE THE ANSWER     by the way whats your own opinion of sun

On 4/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, BLACHEFAN said:

Was anyone able to catch the TCM Spotlight: Fan Dedications last week or early this week? I cannot afford to watch the channel because it is too expensive as part of the Spectrum cable bundle package. I was only able to catch a glimpse of the guest programmers on twitter that only lasted for less than a minute.

sorry though    do you have a personal  top 4 all-time fav films list

I literally saved all my past and marvelous np mags   i'm serious, they fill hefty bags     so sad the net is taking over everything instead of just helping

I only caught clips of that show this time though

topbilled just contacted me again and thinks overall out of all past guest programmers that it's between north by northwest and another I 4-get right now     but I compiled just about 85-90 of that link you sent me and it's almost like kane and treasure sierra madre were picked the most?

and no hurry  just send a list of gp pix if you like

don't you find it bizarre tcm still cannot air the godfather

o yeah, top says he thinks the other was r. osborne's fav film a place in the sun was the other leader  they should continue these though

i'll never 4 get Sydney pollack said he was haunted for days after first going to that 6 time Oscar winner

thank you

On 12/19/2016 at 9:02 PM, TopBilled said:

It has now been updated and covers every guest programmer up to December 2016.

do you know the scoop why they stopped them    unfortunate huh

might have had a lot to do with mr. Osborne huh

I added a few critics, filmmakers on my list that were never gp's though like woody, maltin, ebert and siskel and a few others

Spence,

It was probably just a sign of the times, TCM moving away from print to a more electronic form of publishing the magazine. And I'm sure Robert Osborne's death factored into that.

I like A PLACE IN THE SUN. But I prefer the original (AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY) a bit better.

• Like 1