Sign in to follow this  
fairmn

The Hustler (1961) Holiday Ham Recipe

4 posts in this topic

Wished I had posted this sooner, but instead of film-themed wine, how about film-themed HAM with a smokey bourbon-based glaze?  And it's cheap too!  And your relatives will love it, although that may be the bourbon. (add additional to their taste)

1 inexpensive sale supermarket shank or butt fully cooked ham (ready to cook full ham would be be better, but they're not as easy  to find)  These are on sale RIGHT NOW.

Glaze the ham with this Mustard & Whiskey Glaze, modified from a recipe from the Virtual Weber Bullet site:

3 1/2 tablespoons JST Brown bourbon-- (“Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass.”)

* Fast Eddie Felder  (Paul Newman, 1961) 

1/4 teaspoon molasses

1/4 teaspoon maple syrup

1 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

revise to  taste.  When it's right, you'll know. Feel free to experiment.

If  JSP Brown can't be found, substitute with the more expensive  Elijiah Craig (preferred), or the more refined and caramel-flavored Old Forester Signature 100 proof, and reduce the molasses and maple syrup. For a bonded bourbon, JSP Brown has a dusty, cherry flavor. It's OK and it saves $.

Since the ham marked fully cooked is in fact  fully cooked, it's just a question of adding more light  smoke flavor, so give it about an hour at 325 degrees, then add the glaze for another 30 minutes. If necessary. if the dinner is somewhere else, oven warm or microwave at the location (and add more baste).  I've always used a charcoal grill or smoker for this recipe to provide a little more smoke flavor.  Light flavored smoke wood like apple or cherry is preferred.  Additional hickory might turn this ham into smokey bacon.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2016 at 4:09 PM, fairmn said:

Wished I had posted this sooner, but instead of film-themed wine, how about film-themed HAM with a smokey bourbon-based glaze?  And it's cheap too!  And your relatives will love it, although that may be the bourbon. (add additional to their taste)

1 inexpensive sale supermarket shank or butt fully cooked ham (ready to cook full ham would be be better, but they're not as easy  to find)  These are on sale RIGHT NOW.

Glaze the ham with this Mustard & Whiskey Glaze, modified from a recipe from the Virtual Weber Bullet site:

3 1/2 tablespoons JST Brown bourbon-- (“Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass.”)

* Fast Eddie Felder  (Paul Newman, 1961) 

1/4 teaspoon molasses

1/4 teaspoon maple syrup

1 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

revise to  taste.  When it's right, you'll know. Feel free to experiment.

If  JSP Brown can't be found, substitute with the more expensive  Elijiah Craig (preferred), or the more refined and caramel-flavored Old Forester Signature 100 proof, and reduce the molasses and maple syrup. For a bonded bourbon, JSP Brown has a dusty, cherry flavor. It's OK and it saves $.

Since the ham marked fully cooked is in fact  fully cooked, it's just a question of adding more light  smoke flavor, so give it about an hour at 325 degrees, then add the glaze for another 30 minutes. If necessary. if the dinner is somewhere else, oven warm or microwave at the location (and add more baste).  I've always used a charcoal grill or smoker for this recipe to provide a little more smoke flavor.  Light flavored smoke wood like apple or cherry is preferred.  Additional hickory might turn this ham into smokey bacon.

it's Felson.

:lol:

Somehow, it does seem more fitting to have HAM named for some actors rather than wine, ;)

Sepiatone