alpha

TCM is changing ....

86 posts in this topic

I think they should hire James Woods. Sure, he's completely nut-loaf, but they say he has an IQ of 184 or something, so at least we can be happy knowing a bonafide genius is introducing the flick to us all.

I can attest to the fact that there is a fine line between being a nut-loaf and a genius.

• Like 2

He's a good choice if he'd be willing.  Him or Kevin Spacey.  Either one seems at least more personable than Alec Baldwin.

I'd be interested in anyone else's suggestions.

Sepiatone

TCM couldn't afford to pay any of those dudes - Woods, Spacey, Baldwin - unless they did it for next to nothing and had the time and inclination. I haven't a clue who could replace Ben M., Delaney, Vasquez, etc. and make people happy?

Maybe Robin Bittman:

https://journeysinclassicfilm.com/2015/12/02/voice-actress-robin-bittman-talks-about-being-the-voice-behind-tcm/

(When I wrote about the TCM "continuity announcers" I meant the "voice over" announcers like Robin whose voice we heard but never saw her.)

Anyway, I've been off the radar so long I don't know if TCM still uses the voice over announcers? Were they cut to save money??

I'm on holiday this week and have access to TCM so will be watching to see...

Ciao...

I can attest to the fact that there is a fine line between being a nut-loaf and a genius.

I've been meaning to post that in a different thread, on a different website, about a different topic, so thanks for reminding me.

Anyway, I've been off the radar so long I don't know if TCM still uses the voice over announcers? Were they cut to save money??

I'm on holiday this week and have access to TCM so will be watching to see...

I think the voiceovers have been eliminated.

Thanks Lawrence... Robin Bittman is still doing voiceovers for the promos for the Wine Club, TCM Backlot, etc.

TCM went with wordless schedules so she doesn't do the continuity stuff anymore announcing  movies coming up next, etc.

In the article - https://journeysinclassicfilm.com/2015/12/02/voice-actress-robin-bittman-talks-about-being-the-voice-behind-tcm/

- she states she'd like to try being an on-air host.

TCM bigwigs chose to cut her work back to save some dough, but IMHO, they should have cut some/all of the various on-air hosts and expanded Robin's work doing voiceover stuff or even made her an on-air host.

(No disrespect meant for Ben M., Dana Delaney, etc. I like them all. They just don't ring my bells as TCM hosts. And R. Osborne is excluded from my talk of cutting back on hosts.)

P.S. Ain't Robin's agent. Not a relative. Never met her.

• Like 1

Joe Flaherty should host TCM Underground.

Yes, but unfortunately think Big Jim McBob is retired and Billy Sol Hurok has passed away:

You can watch their celebrity interviewing skills here with a youngish Meryl Streep (Catherine O'Hara):

• Like 1

I believe the only problem of eliminating the voice overs announcements of the up coming next three movies does a disservice to the visually impaired..additionally not having a voice over for the listing as to rating, closed captioning and descriptive audio does another disservice...if I can't see how am I able to determine there is descriptive audio...I haven't understood this oxymoron..it is descriptive but I have no method to discover that fact.  Another of life's conundrums.

I believe the only problem of eliminating the voice overs announcements of the up coming next three movies does a disservice to the visually impaired..additionally not having a voice over for the listing as to rating, closed captioning and descriptive audio does another disservice...if I can't see how am I able to determine there is descriptive audio...I haven't understood this oxymoron..it is descriptive but I have no method to discover that fact.  Another of life's conundrums.

Yes, never thought of that, Emily. Excellent points...

Anyway, me holiday over and back to Neverland go I...

May have been too harsh about Ben M. as host. And guest hosts like Warren B. are nice...

As to my short time watching TCM again, I have to say it's certainly a welcome oasis in a desert of cable and satellite TV crap...

Ciao.

The first channel that I turned on after my Directv was installed was TCM. That was 16 years ago, and to this day TCM is still the channel that we check to see what's on when turning the TV. I remember some years back when TCM changed their short subject intros (remember the "One Reel Wonders" ditty?), and "modernized" their appearance, how it seemed that TCM was starting to get away from it's classic movie feel and being sorry to see it go. That being said, I realize that without change TCM would eventually lose those younger viewers they so badly need to keep this still wonderful channel alive and fresh. Through TCM I have been able to acquire an over 400 DVD movie collection by seeing movies that I had only seen on the "Late Show" or on the old TBS Sunday morning movie and some of the other "superstations" on cable in the early 1980's. Seeing them uncut and in their original versions spurred me to acquire my collection and enlarged my interest in these classics and I am grateful that TCM is still around still old but still fresh. 

I do have one complaint and that is with this years 31 Days Of Oscar. When looking at the schedule, I was surprised to see that Lawrence of Arabia was not on the schedule. My daughter (who was brought up on TCM from the day we first turned it on in 2000 at the age of 7) went on TCM's Facebook page asking why this classic, multi Academy Award winning movie was left off the schedule and was told that time constraints were the reason that this was so. In my opinion, that was a big mistake, and the start of a trend that will see true classics from the studio era and those made up to the 1970s will be weeded out to make way for later movies (80s to 2000s). TCM might want to go to a 32 Days Of Oscar format. That would be my preferred solution to what I see as a slap at those movies that earned the highest award the movie industry can give and earned their status as truly "Classic" movies.    

The first channel that I turned on after my Directv was installed was TCM. That was 16 years ago, and to this day TCM is still the channel that we check to see what's on when turning the TV. I remember some years back when TCM changed their short subject intros (remember the "One Reel Wonders" ditty?), and "modernized" their appearance, how it seemed that TCM was starting to get away from it's classic movie feel and being sorry to see it go. That being said, I realize that without change TCM would eventually lose those younger viewers they so badly need to keep this still wonderful channel alive and fresh. Through TCM I have been able to acquire an over 400 DVD movie collection by seeing movies that I had only seen on the "Late Show" or on the old TBS Sunday morning movie and some of the other "superstations" on cable in the early 1980's. Seeing them uncut and in their original versions spurred me to acquire my collection and enlarged my interest in these classics and I am grateful that TCM is still around still old but still fresh. 

I do have one complaint and that is with this years 31 Days Of Oscar. When looking at the schedule, I was surprised to see that Lawrence of Arabia was not on the schedule. My daughter (who was brought up on TCM from the day we first turned it on in 2000 at the age of 7) went on TCM's Facebook page asking why this classic, multi Academy Award winning movie was left off the schedule and was told that time constraints were the reason that this was so. In my opinion, that was a big mistake, and the start of a trend that will see true classics from the studio era and those made up to the 1970s will be weeded out to make way for later movies (80s to 2000s). TCM might want to go to a 32 Days Of Oscar format. That would be my preferred solution to what I see as a slap at those movies that earned the highest award the movie industry can give and earned their status as truly "Classic" movies.    

I have Directv and don't watch any other channels regularly either.  Sometimes I watch some of the collector shows on the History channel but that's about it.  I already recorded most of the newer movies that I might be interested in.  These aired on the HD Extra pack (MGMHD, SONYHD, HDNET, etc), from just their free weekends.  Then there are the weekends that they open up the HBO channels, etc for free.