Sign in to follow this  
tibor_bardot

-French Films Thread-

112 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, i'm a huge fan of French cinema and European cinema in general. My favourite director is Jean-luc Godard. Who are you favourite directors, actors, actresses and films in general?

The French films I like are "Bizarre, Bizarre," "Children of the Paradise," "Wages of Fear," "Rififfi," "Eyes Without a Face," "Alphaville," "Weekend," "Going Places," "La balance," "La Nuit de Varennes," "La Femme Nikita." I saw "Germinal" recently and liked it very much as well.

I love the films of Cocteau and Carn?. La Belle et la B?te and Les Enfants du Paradis send me; but so do the other works in Cocteau's oeuvre. I once saw Carn?'s Drole et Drame and Hotel du Nord in a dingy, left-bank cinema. My french was only passable though; I'd love to see them again with subtitles. Jean-Louis Barrault, Arletty, Jean Gabin, Josette Day, Edouard Dermithe, Jean Marais, Mar?a Casares... these are all stars that shine as brightly to me as any of their contemporary Hollywood fare. Later I got into La Nouvelle Vague, appreciating Godard and being enchanted by Truffaut. Alain Delon was one of the most beautiful males of the 1960's. Jean-Jacques Beineix' Diva was such a pleasure in the 1980's. It reflected the new wave aesthetic so might seem dated today, but I'm betting it would be a kick to see again. Thanks to Mr. BSG for mentioning La Nuit de Varenne -- such a favorite. I wonder if that's available on DVD...

My mind is obviously going... What was the one called "Jules and ???"; about the love triangle??? Great... Also the one with that actress Audry (no, not Hepburn), although it was a bit of girl-movie fluff -- esp. the storybook ending...

I encourage everyone who loves foreign film to go to "suggest a movie" and request that TCM set aside a weekly two-hour slot for this purpose; it's too important a genre (and there are too many great FFs out there) for them not to.

Truffaut's Jules et Jim.

I'm guessing the second one that you're thinking of is whimsical Le Fabuleux destin d'Am?lie Poulain, which was released in the U.S. simply as Am?lie and starred the pixie-like Audrey Tautou.

Jules and Jim (1962)

Eyes Without a Face (1959)

Mississippi Mermaid (1969)

Wages of Fear (1954)

Delicatessen (1991)

Belle de Jour (1967)

The 400 Blows (1959)

My Life to Live (1962)

Elevator to the Gallows/Frantic (1957)

The Story of Adel H. (1975)

The Double Life of Veronique (1990)

The Grand Illusion (1937)

Rules of the Game (1939)

Le Bete Humaine (1938)

The Crime of M. Lange (1935)

Le Chienne (1931)

Beauty and the Beast (1946)

Orpheus (1948)

White (1994)

Red (1994)

Le Samourai (1967)

The Green Room (1978)

That Obscure Object of Desire (1979)

My Night at Maud's (1968)

Claire's Knee (1970)

M. Hulot's Holiday (1953)

Mon Oncle (1958)

Playtime (1967)

Weekend (1967)

Contempt (1963)

There's others, but that's all I can pop off the top of my head.

Maybe someone here can help me find the title of a French film that I saw in the early 1970s. I can't remember whether it was showing in a theater or in the UW student union; if the latter, it might have been an older film (from the 60s perhaps).

I spent the longest time searching the IMDB and even google, and - nothing.

Here is what I remember:

1) it was in color, and it was a comedy - one of those frenetic ones with people driving and racing around. Kind of noisy.

2) The plot included the kidnapping of a child (it may just have been a 'staged' kidnapping), people going on vacation, and a fake radio contest supposedly sponsored by Simca (as in car). I believe that the radio contest and the kidnapping were somehow related, and were engineered by the same gang.

3) The winners of the contest were a married couple (I think that they were the parents of the missing child), and they were notified by telephone and had to keep saying "Merci, Simca" into the telephone.

Please help -- parce que ?a me rend absolument folle. Merci!

SORRY FOR THE REPOSTS!!! My computer went flooey...

You might also post this "request for info" on the "Information, please!" thread...

Thank you for the suggestion!

I have put Le Voyou in my Netflix queue, so I'll know quite soon whether it's the right one.

It seems to be a bit more of a thriller and a bit less of a comedy than what I remember, but I'm excited to have at least one possibility to follow up.

Does anyone know the films of Dani?le Thompson?

She has done screenwriting for some excellent films - like Ceux qui m'aiment prendront le Train - and has directed three of her own:

La B?che, which is one of my very favorite movies - and which everyone to whom I've shown it loves also;

Fauteuils d'Orchestre (Orchestra Seats), her latest, which is every bit as good. I saw it last year at a French film festival in NYC. It is being released in U.S. theaters this week, but with the title Avenue Montaigne. If it plays anywhere near you, go see it.

Thompson's son Christopher co-wrote the screenplay (as he did for La B?che) and stars. Sydney Pollack has a small but significant r?le.

Her third film, D?calage horaire (Jet Lag), I haven't seen but would like to.

DeepDiscountdvd has it for $5.99.

I've remembered two other French films I like. "La Marsailles" directed by Jean Renoir. Terrific, perhaps the best film ever about the French Revolution (the big events of the Revolution. "Nuit de Varennes" is fine, but it avoids the big events.)

"La Ronde" directed by Max Ophuls. I'd like to see this one again. It is elegant and charming (and I know they cleaned it up from the original play.)

i would LOVE to see La Ronde also. With Roger Vadim, Jane Fonda, Anna Karina and Catherine Deneuve's older sister; how could it go wrong? has anyone else seen the lesser known films of new wave director Roger Vadim???

You guys are talking about two different films of La Ronde here:

the 1950 one, directed by Max Ophuls, and

the 1964 one, directed by Roger Vadim.

I have seen the 1950 one only, and liked it very much. It was put out on vhs, but the later one is available on dvd.

so we are lol. dont i feel stupid now

i hear Max is an awesome director also

TCM definitely needs more foreign cinema in programming

i will start an Italian thread soon, but until then....did anyone catch "Two Women" last night with Sopia Loren? it was quite magical

Well, Jack, it was indeed Le Voyou.

Netflix sent it, and I watched it.

It was a fun film, that could have been really good if Lelouch hadn't wasted much of it on trivialities.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I just spent a wonderful evening revelling in the beautiful revival of Jean Renoir's Le R?gle du Jeu ("The Rules of the Game") at San Francisco's Castro Theatre. For those in the area, it'll be playing all week and the print is pristine. Nora Gregor's* Christine de la Chesnaye is reminiscent of Elizabeth Schwarzkopf's bittersweet Marshallin (in Strauss' tale of bourgeois entanglements Der Rosenkavalier). French farce. comedy of manners, Beaumarchais' Marriage of Figaro, it's all there.

* Anyone know Mlle. Gregor's story? I understand she committed suicide in Chile 10 years after the release of this picture.

>>>>>No-one has yet mentioned Marcel Carn?'s fabulous, and very dark, Port of Shadows (Le Quai des brumes), or Julien Duvivier's P?p? le Moko from 1937. Both are superb films.

I have both "Pepe le Moke" and "Algiers" on the same VHS tape somewhere. What a pair of great movies! The two movies are, of course, that same great story and the respective screenplays seem almost identical in places. Jean Gabin vs Charles Boyer, who is the better Pepe? Hedy is probably not one of our great actresses but she was letter perfect in the English version. And what a fascinating spot, the Casbah! I hear it is slummy mess today. Not even Pepe himself would be safe there today.