hamradio

FORGOTTEN Oldies

761 posts in this topic

Just because an artist is capable of making a good recording doesn't mean they're not capable of making a bad one.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Straw has nothing to do with it -- it's only fair to look at an artist within their own milieux  and their own genre.

I judge the quality of an artist's work as a 'stand-alone' piece of work and not within some other type of context (like genre) or when it was made (unless the sound quality is bad due to technical reasons).

As for others enjoying his work;  good for them;  I never implied they shouldn't listen to this stuff.   All I did was give my opinion on the quality of his take on a classic song.    

AND;  I also said 'sorry if you like this",  because I know that it can bug people when someone they like is criticized. 

Most of the time I wouldn't criticize something (an artist,  a song) posted here,  but I seriously wondered if this was a 'punk' post;  I.e. someone posting something they knew was really bad to see if anyone noticed.     Yea, to me it was that bad.

He sounds like one of those guys that industry types are trying to turn into a pop

star on a 1960s TV show. I really don't remember him. Looked at his stats and he

didn't have a whole lot of hits, to be kind about it. 

Just now, Vautrin said:

Another great example of how one can get by with a little help from their friends.   

(in this case George Harrison).   Of course how Eric returned the favor is questionable!

1 hour ago. Somehow it seems much shorter. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if gobsmacked was somewhere in the reaction mix.

I suppose they eventually got over it.

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I heard much worse on top 40 than Chris Montez. He had an extremely likable voice. And the girls did like him.

Although this was not his best 45 - - I really liked " The More I See You". In early sixties top 40 I would say that Bobby Vee and Gene Pitney were better singers - - but Chris held his own and had his fans.

And I can just say the word Fabian to say that there were a lot worse types in that genre. LOL

I have a beautiful recording of Andy Williams singing " the more I see you "with the perfect arrangement with his perfect voice. But when you're listening to teenybopper music you don't have the same criteria as you do if you're listening to the same song sung by Andy Williams Frank Sinatra or Dick Haymes.

It would be like judging Herb Alpert against Miles Davis or Dizzy Gillespie. Just something that would be unnecessary and stupid to do.

The music world Has room for all kinds of artists in the world because there are all kinds of fans.

Incidentally I mention Dick Haymes because this song was written for him in 1945 for a movie. It was written by two great Hollywood songwriters Harry Warren and Mack David.

Here is one of his most famous recordings.

It's on the "Animal House" soundtrack.  Engaging the Image Enhancer on the equalizer brings out the bass guitar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Here is one of his most famous recordings.

It's on the "Animal House" soundtrack.  Engaging the Image Enhancer on the equalizer brings out the bass guitar.

The black girl wearing the dark skirt and white top definitely has the moves. She could be a professional go go girl of that era.

Ok,  this Let's Dance recording is good pop music.  I still don't like the sound of Montez's voice,  but male singers with that high pitch kid type voice were fairly common in that era.      (and that dancer that DB pointed out got my attention!).

I also listened to his take on The More I See You (another great standard);  to me the production values on this song were much better than on There Is No Greater Love.    While still not a style of music I enjoy for such well written songs I wouldn't place it in the Plan 9 from Outer Space category.

Summer 1962. This is one of my favorite pop songs of all time - it only made it to the #12 position on the Billboard Hot 100, but it did spend 11 weeks on the chart. How a song this great doesn't make the top 5 will forever be a mystery to me.

Sung by the diminutive Timi Yuro, it's beautifully orchestrated, and tells a moral about karma befalling her former insensitive boyfriend.

Timi sings it with a ferocious satisfaction. A true lost classic.