hamradio

FORGOTTEN Oldies

1,006 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, many of us Michiganders do recall taking to them when they broke out with THIS (in '69,  BIG "hit" in the "D".)---- But, the 2nd coming of The BEATLES?  Nah, just a good blues/rock band.  :) 

Y'know, "Oldies" IS a relative term.  My "criteria" for such WAS mostly stated "tongue in cheek".  ;)  But as time passes, it starts to mean different things to different people.  My younger daughter for example( 44 this Oct.) takes it in good stride when she tunes into the local "oldies" station and hears some HER favorites from the mid '80's! :o  :lol: 

Sepiatone

It was a small number of people, but what they lacked in numbers they made up for in intensity.

And GF were very popular for a time in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I mostly avoided the funk

and went for Black Sabbath, their contemporaries. I think the widespread use of the oldies format

started in the 1980s playing songs from the 1960s and 1970s and to me that is still what an oldie

is, though if other people have a different take, that's okay. One day songs from 2019 will be

oldies. :)

27 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I think the widespread use of the oldies format started in the 1980s playing songs from the 1960s and 1970s and to me that is still what an oldie is, though if other people have a different take, that's okay. One day songs from 2019 will be oldies. :)

I recall stations that self-identified as "oldies" stations in the 1980's, but they focused on 50's and early 60's music, pre-British Invasion. Stuff from after that through the 1970's was "Classic Rock". Eventually the classic rock became the oldies, and the older stuff largely disappeared. I can recall my bemusement the first time I heard the label "classic alternative" used to describe college-radio type bands from the 1980's and early 90's.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I recall stations that self-identified as "oldies" stations in the 1980's, but they focused on 50's and early 60's music, pre-British Invasion. Stuff from after that through the 1970's was "Classic Rock". Eventually the classic rock became oldies, and the older stuff largely disappeared. I can recall my bemusement the first time I heard the label "classic alternative" used to describe college-radio type bands from the 1980's and early 90's.

Locally the oldies stations play the 70s and the 80s primarily-- They call it classic rock.

On special occasions, like for example Thanksgiving weekend, they played The Beatles all weekend.

But their average selections are usually like Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, REO, The Eagles, Supertramp, Foreigner, ZZ Top and Journey JourneyJourney.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I recall stations that self-identified as "oldies" stations in the 1980's, but they focused on 50's and early 60's music, pre-British Invasion. Stuff from after that through the 1970's was "Classic Rock". Eventually the classic rock became the oldies, and the older stuff largely disappeared. I can recall my bemusement the first time I heard the label "classic alternative" used to describe college-radio type bands from the 1980's and early 90's.

You're likely right about this. I recall one or two stations that played 1950s and early 1960s

rock and roll or oldies, but by the time I remember hearing "oldies" stations they were playing

stuff from the 1960s and 1970s or classic rock. The music channels on DirecTV have a niche

for just about every type of music with a lot of classics--classic rap, classic reggae, classic

country, etc. They also have classical music and light classical music. A person could get confused.

I used to play that Laibach song over the store speakers near closing time to freak out the customers. Good times.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vautrin said:

You're likely right about this. I recall one or two stations that played 1950s and early 1960s

rock and roll or oldies, but by the time I remember hearing "oldies" stations they were playing

stuff from the 1960s and 1970s or classic rock. The music channels on DirecTV have a niche

for just about every type of music with a lot of classics--classic rap, classic reggae, classic

country, etc. They also have classical music and light classical music. A person could get confused.

Sure, the "premier" oldies  station in Detroit is WOMC, which started in 1948( but under different calletters, and of course, NOT an "oldies" station  ;) ).  They switched to "oldies" by the late '70's,  and blew the other stations of that format( WKSG; WHND) off the air.  They're still around, playing( as I stated) "oldies" from the '80's ( :D ) and now probably getting into the '90's!!  :o 

Kinda funny aside, Detroit's now long-gone classical  radio station(WQRS) had fun sometimes touting itself as, "Detroit's ORIGINAL "oldies" station!"  :D 

Oh, and BTW Vautrin:   I always considered the term "classic rock" to be a nice way to say "oldies" for "boomers" in denial.  ;) 

Sepiatone

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure, the "premier" oldies  station in Detroit is WOMC, which started in 1948( but under different calletters, and of course, NOT an "oldies" station  ;) ).  They switched to "oldies" by the late '70's,  and blew the other stations of that format( WKSG; WHND) off the air.  They're still around, playing( as I stated) "oldies" from the '80's ( :D ) and now probably getting into the '90's!!  :o 

Kinda funny aside, Detroit's now long-gone classical  radio station(WQRS) had fun sometimes touting itself as, "Detroit's ORIGINAL "oldies" station!"  :D 

Oh, and BTW Vautrin:   I always considered the term "classic rock" to be a nice way to say "oldies" for "boomers" in denial.  ;) 

Sepiatone

By the time the classic rock or oldies or whatever one wants to call it format took off, I no longer

listened to the radio that much. We do have some classic rock stations around, but I don't know

that much about them. 

40 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

By the time the classic rock or oldies or whatever one wants to call it format took off, I no longer

listened to the radio that much. We do have some classic rock stations around, but I don't know

that much about them. 

I only listen in the car and they're are a lot of fun.

I save my Serious Radio listening for Beethoven, Brahms and Chopin.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I only listen in the car and they're are a lot of fun.

I really don't listen to the radio at home. And I usually listen to CDs in the car

and I'm still trying to catch up on them. I will listen to the classic rock/oldies

station once in a while. It is fun to hear the songs again, unless it's some of that

soft rock junk. :)

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Explains a lot.

19 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I really don't listen to the radio at home. And I usually listen to CDs in the car

and I'm still trying to catch up on them. I will listen to the classic rock/oldies

station once in a while. It is fun to hear the songs again, unless it's some of that

soft rock junk. :)

I don't know how but I still have hundreds of rock cassettes, after having thrown away hundreds when I moved..

So I still listen to these cassettes in my car too--

from Elvis to The Beatles all the way up to the Bee Gees and Michael Jackson-- and of course the Beach Boys. 

For some reason best known to the radio computers logarithms, those artists are rarely if ever played on the classic rock stations that I listen to.

*As for that "soft rock Junk " oh, I have a special way of listening to them with playlists on my tablet--

I'll just torture you with three names:

Gino Vannelli

Ambrosia

And of course, The Little River Band.

But don't you like Journey and " Baby Come Back?"

Here is a fresh take on a very old classic American song by Hank Williams,  Jambalaya.   

Shows what can be done with a two chord vamp (this one being E7 and B7).   These women really swing!

• Like 2

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is a fresh take on a very old classic American song by Hank Williams,  Jambalaya.   

Shows what can be done with a two chord vamp (this one being E7 and B7).   These women really swing!

I've got this on my Hank Williams CD and when I go abroad his is one of the few CDs that I take with me.

George Thorogood is a great rock blues guitarist-- he has some terrific versions of Hank's music. Like my favorite Hank Williams song,  "Move It On Over".

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't know how but I still have hundreds of rock cassettes, after having thrown away hundreds when I moved..

So I still listen to these cassettes in my car too--

from Elvis to The Beatles all the way up to the Bee Gees and Michael Jackson-- and of course the Beach Boys. 

For some reason best known to the radio computers logarithms, those artists are rarely if ever played on the classic rock stations that I listen to.

*As for that "soft rock Junk " oh, I have a special way of listening to them with playlists on my tablet--

I'll just torture you with three names:

Gino Vannelli

Ambrosia

And of course, The Little River Band.

But don't you like Journey and " Baby Come Back?"

I still have about 50 or so cassettes up in the attic, but I really don't bother with them anymore.

Probably should throw them out. I too have a special way of listening to soft rock junk. I turn the

speakers all the way down to -11. I never really got into Journey, though I like some of their hits.

I have the Hank Williams 40 Greatest Hits CD. One of my favorite HW song titles is My Son Calls

Another Man Daddy. 

12 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I've got this on my Hank Williams CD and when I go abroad his is one of the few CDs that I take with me.

George Thorogood is a great rock blues guitarist-- he has some terrific versions of Hank's music. Like my favorite Hank Williams song,  "Move It On Over".

I responded with a "laugh" emoticon because the mention of "Move It On Over" reminded me of my old story( I think I mentioned it too in these forums once) of how the song won me a free joint;) 

I too, mostly listen to the radio in my car as reception in my house gets wonky sometimes, and changing stations via remote isn't that easy with my set-up too.  And THAT'S mostly classical, jazz and a local "all news" AM station. (Mostly current news, not that NPR "in depth" news.) .  But too, like with my TV, I do a lot of "surfing" from time to time, because I never DID like EVERY song on the radio, and many times, NO sation would be playing something I found pleasant.

I'll tell that "free joint" story if asked.  Meantime, let's give a listen to how I first heard that tune!  ;)

(My step-sister had this same 78!  :) )

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I responded with a "laugh" emoticon because the mention of "Move It On Over" reminded me of my old story( I think I mentioned it too in these forums once) of how the song won me a free joint;) 

I too, mostly listen to the radio in my car as reception in my house gets wonky sometimes, and changing stations via remote isn't that easy with my set-up too.  And THAT'S mostly classical, jazz and a local "all news" AM station. (Mostly current news, not that NPR "in depth" news.) .  But too, like with my TV, I do a lot of "surfing" from time to time, because I never DID like EVERY song on the radio, and many times, NO sation would be playing something I found pleasant.

I'll tell that "free joint" story if asked.  Meantime, let's give a listen to how I first heard that tune!  ;)

(My step-sister had this same 78!  :) )

Sep-- I'm a lifelong radio station Surfer too. In the Heyday of the top 40 I could listen to 3 stations at the same time to get three songs that I liked. Because the songs never lasted a little more than 2 minutes anyway.

We didn't have any of the big shot City stations but after it got dark I was able to pick up WLS in Chicago, which did a daily Rundown of the top 5. And the real excitement was hearing all the great groups who were going to appear live there.  

I sold all my records-- and there were a lot of Records-- years ago. But I still have the record label art tattooed on my brain. And this particular one that you're showing here is MGM. The 45s had the same label. LOL

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Sep-- I'm a lifelong radio station Surfer too. In the Heyday of the top 40 I could listen to 3 stations at the same time to get three songs that I liked. Because the songs never lasted a little more than 2 minutes anyway.

We didn't have any of the big shot City stations but after it got dark I was able to pick up WLS in Chicago, which did a daily Rundown of the top 5. And the real excitement was hearing all the great groups who were going to appear live there.  

I sold all my records-- and there were a lot of Records-- years ago. But I still have the record label art tattooed on my brain. And this particular one that you're showing here is MGM. The 45s had the same label. LOL

Record label "art" is too, another topic in of itself.  Some were unique and memorable.  

But sadly, I didn't SELL all my old records,  most of them got lost in the move from "home" to my first apartment.  :(  any "records" I don't have now are all the old vinyl replacements that eventually got left behind when I left the 1st wife.  And that was due to the influx of CDs on the market 'round the same time.

And DARK---You gotta be kidding!  A tune that wasn't ever released as a single, and wasn't recorded until 1990, entered as a "Forgotten OLDIE"?   :D  "Forgettable" maybe, but "FORGOTTEN"?  ;) 

Sepiatone

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

You gotta be kidding!  A tune that wasn't ever released as a single, and wasn't recorded until 1990, entered as a "Forgotten OLDIE"? 

So don't listen to it.

I DID.  How do ya THINK that I found it "forgettable"?  ;) 

"ZOOM!"  :D

Sepiatone

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

How do ya THINK that I found it "forgettable"?

Alzheimer's?

Cute.  :rolleyes:

BUT, (IMHO) like the abysmal "Born In The U.S.A."(not only the song, but that WHOLE ALBUM sucked!), nowhere NEAR any of his better or best!  B)

Sepiatone