Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

YouTube's Behavior Has Gotten It Some Competition

12 posts in this topic

As there have been definite signs of YouTube becoming censor-y and mainstream, the impetus to create a new video upload service was stoked.

vid.me is now an alternative in operation.

As there have been definite signs of YouTube becoming censor-y and mainstream, the impetus to create a new video upload service was stoked.

vid.me is now an alternative in operation.

This is for people who are  strutting egoists, like Donald Trump

Watching this newest video, I hope this guy remembers that YouTube is a private company, not a public utility that he has some inalienable right to use, however he sees fit, totally free from any censorship or other repercussions. I personally would prefer YouTube not censor users, but I also understand that in a free society, they should have the right to do what they want with their product/business, including having an editorial hand in what content appears under their banner. If Video Guy isn't receiving the service he desires, he can either use another video service or create his own, or take the traditional modern American route and sue them in civil court.

Watching this newest video, I hope this guy remembers that YouTube is a private company, not a public utility that he has some inalienable right to use, however he sees fit, totally free from any censorship or other repercussions. I personally would prefer YouTube not censor users, but I also understand that in a free society, they should have the right to do what they want with their product/business, including having an editorial hand in what content appears under their banner. If Video Guy isn't receiving the service he desires, he can either use another video service or create his own, or take the traditional modern American route and sue them in civil court.

I agree.   There are always other private companies with different 'rules'.    It is the duty of each user to find the company that works best for them.

Watching this newest video, I hope this guy remembers that YouTube is a private company, not a public utility that he has some inalienable right to use, however he sees fit, totally free from any censorship or other repercussions. 

Of course he knows it. Are you suggesting he shouldn't say anything about it when they act so unfairly?

I agree.   There are always other private companies with different 'rules'.    It is the duty of each user to find the company that works best for them.

The point here is that YouTube is not operating under any "rules". Its treatment of certain users is completely arbitrary and prejudicial.

Of course he knows it. Are you suggesting he shouldn't say anything about it when they act so unfairly?

The point here is that YouTube is not operating under any "rules". Its treatment of certain users is completely arbitrary and prejudicial.

Well if YT really doesn't have a consistent set of 'rules' (standards),  then that would be a reason some users may wish to go to another company that has a consistent set of 'rules'.    

Well if YT really doesn't have a consistent set of 'rules' (standards),  then that would be a reason some users may wish to go to another company that has a consistent set of 'rules'.    

Yep.

YouTube once had equitably enforced rules - but since its ownership (Google) capitulated with the Establishment, it's now practicing totally unjustified censorship and intimidation of certain members.

If it loses business to vidme, it deserves to.

• Like 1

Yep.

YouTube once had equitably enforced rules - but since its ownership (Google) capitulated with the Establishment, it's now practicing totally unjustified censorship and intimidation of certain members.

If it loses business to vidme, it deserves to.

Anytime a company tries to prohibit content they run into quick sand.     What is obscene?   What is hate speech?    These are very subjective.    Therefore I tend to believe there should be no banning of context by private Internet service companies.  

BUT,   with the floodgates wide open a handful of trolls can make things very unpleasant for the vast majority of users. 

To me the best option is to allow each user to decide IF they wish content to be banned or filtered.     E.g. take the crummy auto censor at this site.      Why not allow each of us to pick IF we wish the auto censor to work on the content we are viewing instead of using that software on ALL content?        Yea, that is more difficult to program and uses more system resources but I believe it is worth it.

YT could do something similar.   Allow each user to pick what type of context they don't wish to see (with severity levels),  if any.  

Anytime a company tries to prohibit content they run into quick sand.     What is obscene?   What is hate speech?    These are very subjective.    Therefore I tend to believe there should be no banning of context by private Internet service companies.  

BUT,   with the floodgates wide open a handful of trolls can make things very unpleasant for the vast majority of users. 

To me the best option is to allow each user to decide IF they wish content to be banned or filtered.     E.g. take the crummy auto censor at this site.      Why not allow each of us to pick IF we wish the auto censor to work on the content we are viewing instead of using that software on ALL content?        Yea, that is more difficult to program and uses more system resources but I believe it is worth it.

YT could do something similar.   Allow each user to pick what type of context they don't wish to see (with severity levels),  if any.  

It's never been a problem before. Everyone has been aware of the rules for a long time and have been adapted to those rules - just like in these TCM forums.

But lately there has been certain powerful and high profile people and bodies bringing pressure upon Media operations over what topics are being discussed. That pressure is producing some highly questionable decisions - selectively - by many of those Media entities, YouTube being one of those.