Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

Canada Declares Another Human Right For Its Citizens

34 posts in this topic

Not deflecting, they are labeling it a human right. I thought food, water, shelter, freedom from governmental oppression were. What's next, video games a right for children. :blink:

Like television, music - the internet is a luxury.

I see Americans are not the only ones SPOILED!

Got a really disagree on this one. Nowadays the internet is like what the phone was in the 1940s and 50s, expensive for some people but a real necessity in life.

And I think I can even compare it to the radio maybe in the twenties and thirties.

Nowadays everything in life is done on the internet - - if you want to apply for a job you have to do it on the internet, if you want to apply for unemployment you have to do it on the internet, if you want to pay your bills you can do that on the internet, if you want to do banking and you can add any kind of buying and selling to get it done in this day and age.

Not to have access to the internet --it's not just a matter that you don't have entertainment, it means you don't have access to the 21st century way of doing business and living a daily life.

Sometimes people who have access to the internet, don't realize what a disadvantage it is to others who don't have that opportunity.

• Like 1

Canadians already have access to food and shelter. If they want it and can afford it, it's there for the taking/purchase. Internet access is not readily available in all areas, but they hope to make it so. That doesn't mean all Canadians get free internet, it means hopefully they will all have access to it. They still have to pay for it, just like food and shelter.

What a BS argument, Ham.

Re: The past few post.  Don't anyone realize how vulnerable this has made society? :o   

Better pray this don't come crashing down.  

Canadians already have access to food and shelter. If they want it and can afford it, it's there for the taking/purchase. Internet access is not readily available in all areas, but they hope to make it so. That doesn't mean all Canadians get free internet, it means hopefully they will all have access to it. They still have to pay for it, just like food and shelter.

What a BS argument, Ham.

Time will tell what the costs will be for individuals or communities. It may take four or five years before all communities will have access. As always in these things the poorer people won't have the same quality of access as those better off, I assume. Still, the speed of the internet, a faster one, will be increased for many. Overall, as a nation, Canada will benefit from this ruling. At least the poorer communities will have an access that they don't have now.

Driving a car is and probably always will be considered a privilege,not a 'right',but try getting anything done w/o a car...it's tough,almost impossible....getting to be the same with the internet...not yet impossible to get things done...but it's getting to be that way.

Internet access is fast becoming a necessity like cars already are IMO,but it's on the individual to be able to afford a computer just like it's on the individual to pay for a car and its upkeep.

I don't own a smartphone, have the slowest speed internet possible (my choice), pay all my bills in person and by mail, do taxes by mail, don't deal with or trust banks, cash/money orders for 99% of my purchases.

I won't become a smartphone zombie or part of the "Borg collective".

For the rest of you trendy's - enjoy.

Driving a car is and probably always will be considered a privilege,not a 'right',but try getting anything done w/o a car...it's tough,almost impossible....getting to be the same with the internet...not yet impossible to get things done...but it's getting to be that way.

Internet access is fast becoming a necessity like cars already are IMO,but it's on the individual to be able to afford a computer just like it's on the individual to pay for a car and its upkeep.

I know many, many people who don't have cars. They use public transportation to get around.

Many aspects of public intercourse - including government services - are becoming ever-more dependent on internet access. That makes it a necessity.

I know many, many people who don't have cars. They use public transportation to get around.

Many aspects of public intercourse - including government services - are becoming ever-more dependent on internet access. That makes it a necessity.

Public transportation is very convenient if you live in a decent sized city,but where i live public transportation is pretty much a joke.

SW Florida is a place of small towns populated mainly by wealthy retirees who absolutely Hate the idea of public transportation because they don't like the kind of ppl who are the most likely to use it...It's the old NIMBY thing.

Even with PT it can still be hard to go anywhere,partly because the bus routes are few,they don't run early/late enough,they don't penetrate the communities very well due to NIMBY-ism and the buses only run during the busiest time of day 7am-6pm.

If you have a spinal injury like i do it's Very painful to use a bus cuz the seats are as hard as granite and the way buses rock and roll around while in motion makes the choice to use a bus not a viable option cuz i can't walk because of the pain.

When i have to deal with gov't agencies,insurance or anybody else i Always use the internet.For me it's a necessity..w/o the net i'd be screwed.

Public transportation is very convenient if you live in a decent sized city,but where i live public transportation is pretty much a joke.

SW Florida is a place of small towns populated mainly by wealthy retirees who absolutely Hate the idea of public transportation because they don't like the kind of ppl who are the most likely to use it...It's the old NIMBY thing.

Even with PT it can still hard to go anywhere,partly because the bus routes are few,they don't penetrate the communities very well due to NIMBY-ism and the buses only run during the busiest time of day 7am-6pm.

If you have a spinal injury like i do it's Very painful to use a bus cuz the seats are as hard as granite and the way buses rock and roll around while in motion makes the choice to use a bus not a viable option cuz i can't walk because of the pain.

All of those points speak to cars being a luxury.

While it's true that people have to have a way to get from one place to another - that's a necessity - that is why public transportation options exist.

Nobody is claiming that public transportation is as nice as private transportation, but if cars were truly a necessity they would be available to everyone, or as close to everyone, as possible. 

We all know that's not true. Cars require a considerable amount of money to own and operate and there is no government body dedicated to helping us with that.