Sign in to follow this  
MikeBSG

Masterpiece Theater Dracula

8 posts in this topic

Did anyone watch the "Dracula" on Masterpiece Theater last night? It was pretty bad. The film took about fifteen (of 90!) minutes before sending Jonathan Harker to Transylvania. The long-haired actor who played Dracula seemed more like a Frankenstein Monster to me.

Most amazing, Renfield was totally written out of the story. (Perhaps as being too insensitive to the mentally ill?) Instead, there was this secret society of vampire worshippers who brought Dracula to England, and then promptly got killed by him.

I guess this film tried to show the "real" face of Victorian decadence, but "Taste the Blood of Dracula" did that much better in 1969. Really, this was much weaker than the 1931 Dracula, Horror of Dracula, and the BBC Dracula from the Seventies that starred Louis Jourdan as the Count.

I missed it, but they have been making fun of it on Studio Sixty. I wanted to see it to see if it was going to be as bad as predicted. I like Lois Jordans version and alsways dig Lee as the Count.

I really must apologize about not editing my writing, it is hard to read at times and for this I am truly sorry,....."Louis Jordan" not Lois.

Yes, I agree with you on this Masterpiece production. I must say that I was surprised by the film. Masterpiece Theatre is kind-of my solace in the storm of searching for something well done to watch. I remember watching a Masterpiece version of this novel with I was rather young. I remember Dracula flapping his way up or down the wall of his castle.It seems to me that Chris Sarrandon (sp) played Dracula, could be wrong, I was young. Anyway, that scene really scared me.

How do you spell Chris Sarrandon's name anyway? blush, blush

That was the BBC version, called "Count Dracula," that you watched on PBS back in the Seventies. It wasn't part of "Masterpiece Theater," and they didn't have "Mystery" then.

The actor who went up and down the walls was Louis Jordan.

Chris Sarandon was the vampire in "Fright Night."

The BBC "Count Dracula" is superb, perhaps the fullest version of Stoker novel. (It even includes the American character.) it was miles better than the thing they aired Sunday night.

For those interested in the Jourdan 1977 Version "Count Dracula" . . . this arrived this morning in my mail box. If you've any more questions about the release -- just send Emma an email.

Dear All,

Many thanks for your email regarding Count Dracula Starring Louis Jourdan.

I am very pleased to be able to announce that Classic TV will be releasing this on DVD on May 28th 2007.

You can buy this from good DVD stockists.

Kind Regards

Emma

Emma Walker

Senior Product Manager

2 entertain, Cinema Club, Floor 2

33 Foley Street, London W1W 7TL

T: 44 (0)20 7612 3127 F: 44 (0)20 7612 3132

mailto:emma.walker@2entertain.co.uk http://www.2entertain.co.uk

Now that you have pointed this innocent mistake out, I was a child and childhood memories can be a bit cloudy, the face of the actor is coming back to me, thanks. :)I would like to see this version again.

I don't think I mentioned anything about Mystery being on PBS, but thanks for the information.