Sign in to follow this  
rayban

"Psycho"

32 posts in this topic

Great observations,  JLewis.  I love PSYCHO, too; it has so many wonderful touches that we can appreciate with each viewing.  I also do love Laurene Tuttle and John McIntire. (Laurene was also fine as Cary Grant's secretary in MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE.  They both were great supporting character actors.)  One minor quibble:  I don't think her "IN BED" was a dig at Sam.  I think she said that because it was a shocking gossipy thing to repeat.  She didn't know Sam and Marion were having physical relations.  Still, I love that line and the way she delivers it is priceless.

John Gavin - not the greatest actor in the world but he's got the looks and the body - no wonder Marion wanted him.

I know there are disagreements about the "tacked on" ending but I like it with the psychiatrist explaining things and the fade-out with Norman/Mother smiling and the car being dragged out of the swamp along with that wonderful musical score. 

Yeah I agree that the " in bed" line is meant to shock the audience- it suggest all sorts of unspeakable goings on at the Bates motel- just like Norman's  "A son is a poor substitute for a lover" hints at at some incest.    Gavin is perfect for his role as the square horror/sci fi hero.    The ending works to tie all  the loose ends and it may seem obvious now but were general audiences in 1960 that familiar with cross dressing.   The final chilling fade out as Hitchcock supper imposes mother's skull on Norman's face is a perfect ending to a perfect movie

• Like 1

I disagree with the shower murder as "hokey" it's still more effective than a lot of current murders were they just show you a lot of blood and gore

"Because I have seen it so many times" as I said. Ha ha! I certainly was shocked in first viewing.

A&E's "Bates Motel" concluded its' five-season run on Monday night.

The creative team decided to kill off Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore).

I cannot think of a worst creative decision for a "sequel series".

• Like 1

A&E's "Bates Motel" concluded its' five-season run on Monday night.

The creative team decided to kill off Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore).

I cannot think of a worst creative decision for a "sequel series".

They can revise the series in a year or two as Bates Zombie Hotel:    With brains being easy to obtain Bates is able to save enough money to move-on-up from a cheap motel to a 3 star Hotel.   

• Like 2

They can revise the series in a year or two as Bates Zombie Hotel:    With brains being easy to obtain Bates is able to save enough money to move-on-up from a cheap motel to a 3 star Hotel.   

Can you forward this suggestion to Freddie Highmore?

He's upset that the series has ended.

Love PSYCHO, like everyone on this board!

But I am going to toss something into the electric blender (or the swamp!)

I think it might have been JUST as interesting if JOHN GAVIN played the "Norman" role, and

Tony Perkins the "Sam Loomis" role.

They are both gorgeous, appealing, passive guys, very irresistible to a lady like Marion Crane.

Think about it---GAVIN's a little "butch-er" seeming than TONY.

When Marion reaches the Bates motel, she might really be attracted to GAVIN working there.

That might make the "Mother" story he tells her even more tragic.

She might really want to "free" him from "Mom."

Anyway, both GAVIN and TONY are small-town guys, basically losing money on their family businesses, trapped and lonely in Fairvale.

They have a lot in common.

....................................................................................

***ONE GOOF, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT----If Sam Loomis (John Gavin) has been running the local hardware store, and living in Fairvale all his life, why wouldn't Norman Bates (Tony Perkins) recognize him, and he, Norman?

• Like 1

Love PSYCHO, like everyone on this board!

But I am going to toss something into the electric blender (or the swamp!)

I think it might have been JUST as interesting if JOHN GAVIN played the "Norman" role, and

Tony Perkins the "Sam Loomis" role.

They are both gorgeous, appealing, passive guys, very irresistible to a lady like Marion Crane.

Think about it---GAVIN's a little "butch-er" seeming than TONY.

When Marion reaches the Bates motel, she might really be attracted to GAVIN working there.

That might make the "Mother" story he tells her even more tragic.

She might really want to "free" him from "Mom."

Anyway, both GAVIN and TONY are small-town guys, basically losing money on their family businesses, trapped and lonely in Fairvale.

They have a lot in common.

....................................................................................

***ONE GOOF, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT----If Sam Loomis (John Gavin) has been running the local hardware store, and living in Fairvale all his life, why wouldn't Norman Bates (Tony Perkins) recognize him, and he, Norman?

Interesting and yes Norman and Sam are the opposite sides of the same character-  Sam can have a "normal" sex life with Marion- Norman is psychologically castrated by Mother which is why he kills Marion.