Sign in to follow this  
VivLeighFan

Movies to Watch on a Rainy Day

37 posts in this topic

I just thought of a rainy that I would watch on a rainy day.

The Year of Living Dangerously (1982) by Peter Weir.

There's the scene where Sigourney Weaver and Mel Gibson get caught in the rain while they're at an outdoor café. They're drinking these weird blue drinks and the rain starts pouring down and they rush to the car, and it's a great love scene. 

Then, later in the movie Weaver gets a coded telex about the political upheaval that is about to take place in Djakarta and she wanders through the stormy streets of the city surrounded by umbrellas and soaked to the bone, as she tries to decide what to do with the information, and whether or not to give it to her journalist/lover Guy (Gibson).

It's a movie that I would watch on a rainy day for the love story, the cinematography, the direction, the subject matter and the Oscar-winning performance of Linda Hunt who played photographer Billy, a man. I have to admit the soundtrack, though done by Vangelis, is really good and fits the mood perfectly.

So, if just rainy scenes count, How about the scene in MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT in which Rock Hudson is sitting across a campfire from Paula Prentiss and Maria Perschy(I think) and it starts raining, rendering the ladies' thin cotton blouses transparent?  ;)

Sepiatone

When it's raining, or when I'm having to take it easy for a little while like right now (I got all 4 wisdom teeth removed this morning) there are definitely some movies I enjoy rewatching during times like these: 

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Back to the Future

Singin' in the Rain 

Jurassic Park 

The Philadelphia Story 

My Fair Lady 

...Just to name a few. 

How about Notorious?  After all it has Claude RAINS.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

When it's raining, or when I'm having to take it easy for a little while like right now (I got all 4 wisdom teeth removed this morning) there are definitely some movies I enjoy rewatching during times like these: 

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Back to the Future

Singin' in the Rain 

Jurassic Park 

The Philadelphia Story 

My Fair Lady 

...Just to name a few. 

Oh man.  About 13-14 years ago, when I had braces, I had to get all four wisdom teeth + four regular teeth (2 on the top, 2 on the bottom) pulled and I was out for at least the remainder of the day on the couch.  I remember watching The Long, Long Trailer and Some Like it Hot as a means to cope with the pain and the queasiness while I was dealing with the after effects of the anesthetic.  

I find that when I'm sick, the best movies for me to watch are either melodramas or ridiculous horror movies.  I watched What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? for the first time when I was sick and another time I watched What's the Matter with Helen? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fedya said:

How about Notorious?  After all it has Claude RAINS.

Deception works better since when the weather person says it isn't going to rain, it does! 

4 hours ago, VivLeighFan said:

Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon would also be excellent on a rainy day.

I think that any Kurosawa film would be a fine way to spend a rainy day, or the early morning hours, or anytime when you're likely to be free of distractions from the outside world...

• Like 2

Limey-- Your terrific comment reminded me of a breathtakingly beautiful, rainy nighttime scene from my favorite Kurosawa movie, Nora Inu/ Stray Dog,1949, starring Toshiro Mifune. I hope everybody gets a chance to see this movie at least once in their lifetime.

• Like 2

Typically, on rainy days I like to listen to the "Rainy Day, Dream Away"/"Still Raining, Still Dreaming" tracks on JIMI HENDRIX's "Electric Ladyland" LP. ;) 

But notice how we all took advantage to diplay our familiarity with "classic" cinema by listing movies with lots of rainy scenes in them.  Typically, most people( NOT immersed in their knowledge of old movies)  might prefer instead to watch movies without ANY rain scenes in them to take their minds OFF the grey, dismal mood rainy days put most people in. ;)

Sepiatone

With the amount of snow we have gotten, seems to me a good time to watch a good, long worthwhile movie to watch like GONE WITH THE WIND, SPARTACUS or THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, to help me pass the time and keep me from getting cabin fever. 

• Haha 2