Sign in to follow this  
VivLeighFan

Movies to Watch on a Rainy Day

37 posts in this topic

It's raining cats and dogs outside. You're at home alone. What do you do? Watch movies, of course!

Key Largo (1948) and 12 Angry Men (1957) are probably among the best to watch on this occasion because they both give you that sense of isolation and the rain would make great background noise. Other movies I think would be good are Citizen Kane (1941), Psycho (1960), The Letter (1940), and Waterloo Bridge (1940).

• Like 2

b4c916b454d522c75a45bc93ff80a0fe.jpg

Yeah, there's that movie. The title alone is a good enough reason to watch it on a rainy day. Thanks for sharing.

Singin' in the Rain would also be a good choice. It'd make the rainy day less dreary.

I'm on my second snow day. I think the same types of films could apply here as well.

It's raining cats and dogs outside. You're at home alone. What do you do? Watch movies, of course!

Key Largo (1948) and 12 Angry Men (1957) are probably among the best to watch on this occasion because they both give you that sense of isolation and the rain would make background noise.

You could go with a movie like Brief Encounter, or a creepy movie like The Shining.

Not to derail this thread, but this reminds me that I once read that Frank Capra loved to include strongly emotional scenes with rain as a backdrop, that for him the rain heightened the intensity of the scene...

• Like 3

I think rainy days were made for spooky movies or film noir. Maybe some Charlie Chan or Sherlock Holmes stuff too.

• Like 3

Kim Stanley does such a fantastic job.

She was an actress of inarguable brilliance and we got to see all of it in "Séance". It's a shame for film fans that she opted to use her gifts on the stage more often than the screen.

But "Dickie" was damned good in this film, too. Such a talented man. Great chemistry between the two, an utterly believable couple. They really nailed that singular, peculiar dynamic. Great film, and the first thing that burst into my mind when I saw the topic.

• Like 3

She was an actress of inarguable brilliance and we got to see all of it in "Séance". It's a shame for film fans that she opted to use her gifts on the stage more often than the screen.

But "Dickie" was damned good in this film, too. Such a talented man. Great chemistry between the two, an utterly believable couple. They really nailed that singular, peculiar dynamic. Great film, and the first thing that burst into my mind when I saw the topic.

screen-shot-2017-01-12-at-3-16-41-pm.png

Yes. Exceptional work from both of them.

screen-shot-2017-01-12-at-3-17-13-pm.png

• Like 1

The Killer Shrews (1959).  Not a spectacular movie, but a movie where the characters are closed into a tight space, with a hurricane outside and other imminent danger.

• Like 2

The Killer Shrews (1959).  Not a spectacular movie, but a movie where the characters are closed into a tight space, with a hurricane outside and other imminent danger.

I know this isn't exactly a thread made for soapboxing, (what thread is?) I feel compelled to comment...

As much as I like to champion entertaining and surprisingly well-made low budget B-Movies, the casual racism exhibited by the hero of "Shrews" sticks in my craw. The movie was made in 1959, so I can't give it the pass I would earlier movies. And while James Best's Cap'n Sherman "only" seems to be patronizing to Griswold, he's downright sneering to Mario. The argument can be made that it was utilized as contrast, that the character was simply displaying an alpha-male dominance that the cowardly ex-fiance of Ann, Jerry, so obviously lacked (though Jerry did exhibit what we would term in the animal kingdom "fear aggression"). But if that's the case, I think whoever decided "racism = alpha-male" didn't do the movie any favors.

Still, as would be his directorial hallmark (however short that part of his career was), Ray Kellog coaxed solid performances out of his actors and his direction belied the craftsmanship of a man well-acquainted with the art of moviemaking.

As much as I like to champion entertaining and surprisingly well-made low budget B-Movies, the casual racism exhibited by the hero of "Shrews" sticks in my craw. The movie was made in 1959, so I can't give it the pass I would earlier movies. And while James Best's Cap'n Sherman "only" seems to be patronizing to Griswold, he's downright sneering to Mario. The argument can be made that it was utilized as contrast, that the character was simply displaying an alpha-male dominance that the cowardly ex-fiance of Ann, Jerry, so obviously lacked (though Jerry did exhibit what we would term in the animal kingdom "fear aggression"). But if that's the case, I think whoever decided "racism = alpha-male" didn't do the movie any favors.

Hmm I'm not much of a soapboxer myself.  Just don't have the inclination.

3 movies to watch on a rainy day:

FLOOD! (1976-Tvm)  An Irwin Allen disaster film tele-pic

FIRE! (1977-Tvm)  Another Irwin Allen disaster tele-pic

A WALK IN THE SPRING RAIN (1970)  D: Guy Green.  Starring Ingrid Bergman, Anthony Quinn, Fritz Weaver.   

Movies with rain or movies I'd like to watch on a rainy day? That's my dilemma.

I decided on the former. I'd agree Blade Runner is my favorite rainy movie.  But then I thought of the recently deceased Jeanne Moreau in Elevator to the Gallows and the final scene after she's killed her husband and is wandering the rainy, empty streets of Paris looking for her lover, who doesn't come. It's so melancholy and heart-breaking.

I also like Solaris directed by Andre Tarkovsky. The sci-fi film starts in the rain and then ends, amazingly, with the main character returning to his father's house and it's RAINING INSIDE. That is an incredible scene. Here's a pic.

rsolaris-1972-002-donatas-banionis-in-the

Okay, let's see here.

It's raining outside. You're inclined to stay indoors. You're beginning to feel as if you're almost being held captive due to the weather conditions outside.

Hmmmm..."held captive". Hmmmm..."held captive".

AH! Okay, I think I have the perfect suggestion for a film to watch in these circumstances, and due the chance of you gaining a greater sense of empathy for the characters in it. Characters who are held captive by an outside force.

This film would be 1959's...

MV5BMTM2Njg1OTcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTc1

The story of a group of tourists from various western countries who find themselves being held behind the Iron Curtain by an officer in the Soviet Army during the Hungarian Uprising of 1956.

And besides the excellent acting by the entire cast, the intelligent script for the most part steers clear of stereotypes.

(...yep, very good movie to watch on a rainy day, I'd say...in fact, I believe it WAS raining outside during my first viewing of this movie on TCM about 6 or 7 years ago now)

• Like 2

Portrait of Jennie, Johnny O'Clock, The Big Sleep, Casablanca, The Enchanted Cottage, None But the Lonely Heart, Best Years of Our Lives, Rebecca, Out of the Past, How Green Was My Valley, Random Harvest. 

• Like 1

I would imagine ANY movie you like would be good on a rainy day.  Or ANY day far as that goes.  But, WHY watch a movie with a lot of rain in it  when all you'd have to do is look outside?

Maybe if the rain in the movie is FAR worse than the rainfall exprienced where you happen to be at the time.  For instance....

I might watch a movie like THE HURRICANE('37) just to make me feel like I really have nothing to complain about with the relatively mild rainfall I'm experiencing that day.  ;)

Sepiatone

I just thought of a rainy that I would watch on a rainy day.

The Year of Living Dangerously (1982) by Peter Weir.

There's the scene where Sigourney Weaver and Mel Gibson get caught in the rain while they're at an outdoor café. They're drinking these weird blue drinks and the rain starts pouring down and they rush to the car, and it's a great love scene. 

Then, later in the movie Weaver gets a coded telex about the political upheaval that is about to take place in Djakarta and she wanders through the stormy streets of the city surrounded by umbrellas and soaked to the bone, as she tries to decide what to do with the information, and whether or not to give it to her journalist/lover Guy (Gibson).

It's a movie that I would watch on a rainy day for the love story, the cinematography, the direction, the subject matter and the Oscar-winning performance of Linda Hunt who played photographer Billy, a man. I have to admit the soundtrack, though done by Vangelis, is really good and fits the mood perfectly.

• Like 2

OOPS. That previous post was supposed to say:

I just thought of a rainy MOVIE that I would watch on a rainy day.

sorry...