Sign in to follow this  
SinatraFan86

Favorite film representing [i]your[/i] profession?

108 posts in this topic

Yes I think it was in The Killers.

His boss told him something along the lines of "a few hundred dollars would mean a difference of 0.04% in next year's rates" (just paraphrasing of course).

P.S. found the actual quote on imdb.com:

R.S. Kenyon: Owing to your splendid efforts the basic rate of The Atlantic Casualty Company - as of 1947 - will probably drop one-tenth of a cent.

I like "Under Fire" (1983)

It's about a film cameraman and a reporter in Nicaragua during the revolution in 1979. It is based roughly on the shooting by the National Guard of ABC reporter Bill Stewart in 1979.

I was a cameraman back in those days and I was in Nicaragua after Somoza fled the country and after the Sandinistas captured all the National Guard offices and forts. In that case, the Sandinista revolutionaries were much nicer than the National Guard.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086510/

I've worked as an analytical chemist since the mid-1980s. From "Quincy" to "CSI:Whatever"...the portrayal of the "lab guy" in films and television has been a personal pain in the a**. Don't believe it when you see it on screen...no, no laboratory in the world has an "everything machine". God, I hate Quincy.

I'm trying to think of a favorite film...something with a lab coat clad button pusher. And no bubbling flasks. And lots of complicated looking equipment having the "guts" strewn about the place.

Parts of the movie "Alien" (not the predator parts) immediately come to mind as representing my job...and workplace.

Poindexter

Hot damn, Fred, if she could track down Quentin Taratino, she could name her price! I wouldn't mess with her unless I had her written permission!

Looks a little like J Lo,only without the voluptitude and probably without the grating voice.

What's that on her shirt? A political statment?

Don't believe it when you see it on screen...no, no laboratory in the world has an "everything machine". God, I hate Quincy.

I'll bet if there are any lawyers among us, they might agree that their profession, especially courtroom behavior, is portrayed very unrealistically as well

For example, we always see the lawyer leaning against the witness stand, in the witness's face, shouting questions and accusations at him. This I'm told just doesn't happen. The questioning attorney is to stay at his podium, with a very respectful distance and demeanor.

> Sorry but I don't think Frida was depressing

> at all, it was about overcoming challenges, so it was

> inspiring. :)

I actually just watched Frida (200) again last night...ironically it was on IFC after I had mentioned it on the board....it is definitely depressing..while she did overcome...she died in extreme pain and her life was cut way to short...that in itself makes it depressing....

That film was amazingly done. The way the director integrated her paintings was incredible....Frida is also one of my fav. painters....

This movie is definitely one that classic film fans should watch...not only does it take place in the 30's, 40's and 50's.....but one of the famous people who bought some of her paintings before she was very well known was Edward G. Robinson. It also has historical importance in the Diego Rivera scenes with the Rockerfeller building in NYC...

The movie Frida is highly recommended to TCM fans.

I am an automotive engineer. Not a lot of engineers in the movies, unless you count the kind that drive trains. John Wayne played a bridge builder in Tycoon. That has to be cool if the Duke played your profession.

Of course, every engineer's favorite has to be Scotty in the Star Trek series. And there were many good portrayals of engineers in Apollo 13. Flight of the Phoenix had an aeronautical engineer. Joseph Cotten played a Navy engineer in Journey into Fear. And Khartoum had a good sequence about engineering the defences of the city, more military engineers in movies such as A Bridge Too Far, Kelly's Heroes and many more.

But for the automotive industry, you have to go with Tucker. That is my favorite.

Is it truly possible that you have seen Frida twice and think there's something depressing about it?

Do you truly not realize how death is mocked in a culture like Mexico's?

Did you really not understand how effectively Frida overcame her pain through art and imagination?

A movie like Frida is not depressing, it is uplifting.

For a truly depressing movie, just watch a Jackass film, it's depressing to think that this is many young people's idea of entertainment nowadays.

Not drooling at all. Just see her as an icon of female empowerment, a beacon of hope in a hopelessly patriarchal society.

In other words, I see her as a feminist icon. :)

Klondike; you're from Bellows Falls VT? I'm originally from St. Albans; both parents worked for the CV railroad which I believe made a stop in your town?

As for "Freda," didn't see the movie, but have read about her/seen documentaries; fascinated by the relationship between her and fellow artist/lover, including their separate houses joined by a walkway, LOL; echoing the KH sentiment than men and women should live next door and just visit occasionally. Fascinating life...

> "Not drooling at all. Just see her as an icon of female empowerment, a beacon of hope in a hopelessly patriarchal society.

In other words, I see her as a feminist icon. "

Cscope, I'll second those observations, no elaboration needed.

Different gender, same impressions, similar conclusion.

Nicely said.

My career was in Law Enforcement. There's no shortage of movies about police work, so I'll list two of my favorites from each decade from the 40s on (the 30s emphasized the gangster more than the cop). I also didn't include Private Detective films.

40s: Naked City, He Walked By Night

50s: Touch of Evil, Narrow Margin

60s: In the Heat of the Night, Bullitt

70s: The French Connection, Dirty Harry

80s: The Untouchables, Prince of the City

90s: L.A. Confidential, Seven

00s: Traffic, The Departed

> Is it truly possible that you have seen Frida

> twice and think there's something depressing about

> it?

>

> Do you truly not realize how death is mocked in a

> culture like Mexico's?

>

> Did you really not understand how effectively Frida

> overcame her pain through art and imagination?

>

> A movie like Frida is not depressing, it is

> uplifting.

>

> For a truly depressing movie, just watch a

> Jackass film, it's depressing to think that

> this is many young people's idea of entertainment

> nowadays.

DUDE! why do u care if I think this movie is depressing....as a painter I have more of a right to judge this film than u do anyway....damn dude...get over it allready...How about worrying about yourself rather than other peoples opinion's on film...whatever dude....seriously get over yourself...........

I'm not a shoe salesman but the part in The Devil and Ms Jones, when the secret shopper comes into the store that reminded me alot of my job in a grocery store

> "Klondike; you're from Bellows Falls VT? I'm originally from St. Albans; both parents worked for the CV railroad which I believe made a stop in your town?"

10-4, Otterhere; B.F. is still a very busy railroad town; lots of freight activity from all over Vermont, Mass & Canada, plus seasonal ski & tour excursions with Green Mtn. RR, and 4 daily thru-stops by Amtrak on the Boston/Montreal run.

PM me sometime if you get homesick!

There are no movies about film editors, though Travolta did play a sound editor in Blow Out.

Movies about movie making are mainly silents or about silent era filmmaking:

Hearts of the West, And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself, Nickelodeon.

Didn't the peeper get his eye poked out? Is that a winking smiley or a portrait?

PS - Doh! Didn't see LZ's post before replying.

Nevermind.

Message was edited by:

LuckyDan