GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

799 posts in this topic

FX is starting a new series called "Feud" . The first season, entitled Bette and Joan, will center around the backstage battle between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis  during the production of their 1962 film What Ever Happened to Baby Jane ?

Just goes to show you that classic films are still relevant today. And there's nothing like old Hollywood. And television have never been better in my opinion. I also like the casting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feud_(TV_series)

• Like 2

I look forward to Season II and the story of filming "Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte" (1965).  Who should play Agnes Moorehead?

Are you joking about Season II?     I ask because I'm not aware of a feud between any of the actors in HHSC.

Also,   since Crawford isn't in the film that would imply the Crawford character would have a diminished role in Season II.

I haven't heard anything definite about a second season, and there probably won't be until the first episode at least premieres and the numbers are in. But I believe the idea is to feature a different celebrity feud from a different era in each season, with a revolving cast of characters and actors, much like the other FX shows American Horror Story and American Crime Story.

• Like 2

jamesjaqzzguitar--I was assuming there would be a Season II, and that it would be a continuation of Season I.

Joan Crawford was originally cast as Miriam in HHSC.  She dropped out, and Olivia deHavilland replaced her.  That is why I posted about Season II.  

• Like 1

jamesjaqzzguitar--I was assuming there would be a Season II, and that it would be a continuation of Season I.

Joan Crawford was originally cast as Miriam in HHSC.  She dropped out, and Olivia deHavilland replaced her.  That is why I posted about Season II.  

Yes,  I know that Crawford was originally cast as Miriam in HHSC.    That was one of the reasons I asked if you were joking or not because since Crawford dropped out I couldn't understand why Season II would focus on that film as it relates to the Bette and Joan feud.    

Anyhow,  I believe Larry is correct:  if ratings are good there will be a season II but it will focus on a celebrity feud other than Bette and Joan.     What the producers could do is use HHSC to move from the Davis and Crawford to the DeHavilland and Fontaine feud. 

• Like 1

I would think HHSC might be dealt with in this season. Other seasons most likely will focus on other feuds.

I just thought it was interesting that this would be the first one the go with. Normally the first is the one you think will create buzz and interest.

• Like 1

The new Entertainment Weekly has a cover story about "Feud." It's amazing how much Susan Sarandon resembles Bette Davis!

C2jHdk5UkAEpKK5.jpg

• Like 2

I would think HHSC might be dealt with in this season. Other seasons most likely will focus on other feuds.

I just thought it was interesting that this would be the first one the go with. Normally the first is the one you think will create buzz and interest.

I'm thinking the same thing;  end season with HHSC and the fact Crawford didn't do that film with Davis (even if the reason was illness and not the feud),  then have a scene with Davis and DeHavilland;   Davis tells Olivia how glad she is she will be in the film because, "well darling,  you know how both of us have issues with a Joan,,,ha ha",   that gets Olivia talking and season two begins with a flashback to the 1941 Oscars.   

This looks awesome! I'll definitely be setting my DVR up for this! 

I see that Sarah Paulson will be playing Geraldine Page in FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN.

Geraldine Page is one of my favorite actors.

I wonder how she is connected with the Davis/Crawford feud. 

I know that she was in the Robert Aldrich-produced WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE.

• Like 2

I see that Sarah Paulson will be playing Geraldine Page in FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN.

Geraldine Page is one of my favorite actors.

I wonder how she is connected with the Davis/Crawford feud. 

I know that she was in the Rober Aldrich-produced WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE.

Page was a 1962 Best Actress Oscar nominee for "Sweet Bird of Youth," based on the play by Tennessee Williams. Bette Davis also was nominated in the category for her performance in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."

Joan Crawford reportedly detested the thought of Davis' winning a third Best Actress Oscar so much, she contacted other nominees and offered to accept the award if they won and were unable to attend. As it turned out, Anne Bancroft, who won for "The Miracle Worker," couldn't be there -- and Crawford gleefully accepted the statuette on her behalf.

So maybe there's a scene in "Bette and Joan" about that.

• Like 3

So, is the show ALWAYS going to be about Bette and Joan?  Or will they try to get to some of the other "feuds"  there might have been in old Hollywood?

Don't know much about which they would be, but just thought I'd ask.

Sepiatone

So, is the show ALWAYS going to be about Bette and Joan?  Or will they try to get to some of the other "feuds"  there might have been in old Hollywood?

Don't know much about which they would be, but just thought I'd ask.

Apparently, it's another anthology/limited series from Ryan Murphy, who's done the same with "American Horror Story" and "American Crime Story" (after the success of the O.J. murder case miniseries, the next ACS tales will be about Hurricane Katrina, the 1997 murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace, and Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky).

It wouldn't surprise me if an upcoming "Feud" installment is about the bumpy relationship between sisters Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine. But would they dare do it while De Havilland is alive?

• Like 1

The bad blood with Bette and Joan goes back way before WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, at least to Joan's arrival at Davis' studio, WB @ 1943, and her subsequent Oscar from a Bette reject, MILDRED PIERCE. Seems this show will start around then, based on the actresses' looks in the press photos circulating. Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

The bad blood with Bette and Joan goes back way before WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, at least to Joan's arrival at Davis' studio, WB @ 1943, and her subsequent Oscar from a Bette reject, MILDRED PIERCE. Seems this show will start around then, based on the actresses' looks in the press photos circulating. Looking forward to it.

Didn't it start even before that? I seem to remember reading somewhere that on the 1935 set of Dangerous, Joan Crawford was furious because she found out that her husband (or maybe fiancee) Franchot Tone, was having an affair with co-star Bette Davis? 

Didn't it start even before that? I seem to remember reading somewhere that on the 1935 set of Dangerous, Joan Crawford was furious because she found out that her husband (or maybe fiancee) Franchot Tone, was having an affair with co-star Bette Davis?

You are right; I couldn't remember what happened in the 30s,, so I just hedged with my statement. Hopefully, all of this will be covered in the show.

The picture of Lange and Sarandon is fascinating...I remember years ago (maybe mid-70s) leafing through a film magazine in a library and came upon an academic article which dissected and analyzed the difference in Joan and Bette's application of lipstick, as their "look" evolved.

Bette's was called "slash-mouth" since she filled in the little indentation of the upper lip and Joan's was called something like "overlip" as she followed the shape of the lips but went outside the lines.  I don't recall much else about the article except that I was amazed someone would write about such a seemingly inconsequential topic.

• Like 2

Garbage based on nothing. All it will do is continue to destroy the reputations of two great actresses.

Garbage based on nothing. All it will do is continue to destroy the reputations of two great actresses.

After Mommy Dearest I don't know if any movie,  T.V. Show,  play or book can further damage the reputation of Crawford.

Of course Davis' daughter wrote a book about her mom that wasn't very kind to Bette.

Yea,  two great actresses (well I would really say Davis was a great actress (my favorite),  and Crawford a great movie star and good actress),  but as public figures reputations are open game  (not defending this but that is just how it is). 

After Mommy Dearest I don't know if any movie,  T.V. Show,  play or book can further damage the reputation of Crawford.

Of course Davis' daughter wrote a book about her mom that wasn't very kind to Bette.

Yea,  two great actresses (well I would really say Davis was a great actress (my favorite),  and Crawford a great movie star and good actress),  but as public figures reputations are open game  (not defending this but that is just how it is). 

Yes I agree with you. The "feud" was likely blown up PR while they were at Warners together and likely only became real when they worked together on BABY JANE. Unfortunately, the "feud" is what they're now remembered for ... if at all ... by younger generations. And it's totally irrelevant. Years after the fact, Gloria Swanson was asked about her famous "feud" with Pola Negri when they were both at Paramount in the 1920s. She answered it was all PR, that she had barely known the woman, and they weren't rivals for the same roles. Likewise, I doubt Davis and Crawford were serious rivals for the same roles at Warners.

Yes I agree with you. The "feud" was likely blown up PR while they were at Warners together and likely only became real when they worked together on BABY JANE. Unfortunately, the "feud" is what they're now remembered for ... if at all ... by younger generations. And it's totally irrelevant. Years after the fact, Gloria Swanson was asked about her famous "feud" with Pola Negri when they were both at Paramount in the 1920s. She answered it was all PR, that she had barely known the woman, and they weren't rivals for the same roles. Likewise, I doubt Davis and Crawford were serious rivals for the same roles at Warners.

Gee, I wonder why THAT is?

(...oh yeah, that's right...so many of their movies are in, OH NO, B&W, huh)

;)