GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

799 posts in this topic

no problem. hope it "brightened your day."

:)

I feel so much better now!

as i recall it, Lynn was always sucking on candies or chewing gum in the role...maybe even gnawing a drumstick on occasion?

and this was when i only knew her from the WEIGHT WATCHERS commercials- ALTHOUGH I LOVED HER IN THOSE!!!!

KEEP IN MIND, I watched it on its intial broadcast in 1991 and don't think i've seen it since, but i really liked it better than the original  and that is another of the myriad reasons why I don't like the 1962 version.

another reason why I DON'T LIKE BABY JANE '62 that i may as well bring up now as any is that CRAWFORD is in fact relegated to the shadows for the second act of the picture, which Bette eats alive- she has some great scenes, but script dictates she be silent. she is- truly and honestly- as good as Bette for all her screen time, but that second act eclipse when the film focuses entirely on Bette is impossible to overcome and i totally get why she did not get an Oscar nomination- 1962 was a great year for actresses in full-on lead roles, and CRAWFORD in BABY JANE totters on the brink of being supporting.

and i don't think it had to be that way.

I think BABY JANE would be an imminently better pic-CHUH if CRAWFORD and Bette had near-equal screen time; if the focus was more evenly divided between the two.

SPOILER ALERT

and Crawford's diminished presence also diminishes the impact of the "twist" at the end, that all along she's been rather subtly manipulative...

Well, what did you expect Crawford to do trussed up in her bed??? LOL. She does have some good scenes in the 2nd half. Just not too many of them.

Well, what did you expect Crawford to do trussed up in her bed??? LOL. She does have some good scenes in the 2nd half. Just not too many of them.

again though, that brings us back to THE 25 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE that really should have been cut.

There is no reason for this story to be told in any more than an hour and fifty minutes.

#1 problem with BABY JANE '62: it is too **** long.

*Goshdarned

(sorry i won't let this drop but...)

and honestly, i'm not even talking about cutting entire scenes from BABY JANE, I'm just talking about tightening it up- shortening the length of some of the looooong shots and scenes and PICKING UP THE DAMN PACE.

It's a depressing movie- fine. movies don't have to be sunshine and lollypops, but looooong, depressing movies are something that i just don't see the need for personally.

again though, that brings us back to THE 25 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE that really should have been cut.

There is no reason for this story to be told in any more than an hour and fifty minutes.

*Goshdarned

Yes, I know. You've mentioned that!

*Goshdarned

Eeh! Ya know what the REAL problem with the flick is, doncha Lorna?!

Uh-huh. There's not nearly enough rat being served for dinner in this baby!

(...and which now reminds me of another old joke...ya know what the difference between a gerbil and a hamster is?...hamsters have a little bit more white meat to 'em)

Eeh! Ya know what the REAL problem with the flick is, doncha Lorna?!

Uh-huh. There's not nearly enough rat being served for dinner in this baby!

(...and which now reminds me of another old joke...ya know what the difference between a gerbil and a hamster is?...hamsters have a little bit more white meat to 'em)

You would know, right? :D

And watching it now, if I were allowed to have my way with WEHTBJ?62, a definite change I would make would be to make the house more isolated. That eliminates the need for the next-door neighbor characters, who are superfluous and a drag on the plot, and heightens the tension-

AaaaaaaaaaaaEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
(Its on now.)

Bette and Joan? OR Baby Jane? :D

And watching it now, if I were allowed to have my way with WEHTBJ?62, a definite change I would make would be to make the house more isolated. That eliminates the need for the next-door neighbor characters, who are superfluous and a drag on the plot, and heightens the tension-

Yeah, but then that note throwing scene would have to go. :( B.D. was certainly no actress.

I always wondered what part of LA that house was located in.

Yeah, but then that note throwing scene would have to go. :( B.D. was certainly no actress.

I always wondered what part of LA that house was located in.

I am almost positive it is Hancock Park, which is south of Hollywood somewhat and east as well. A very nice part of town.

We just watched it and definitely too long. 

Interesting that Blanche did look better in the dying beach scenes that in the ones prior to them.  Course would not have paid attention to this but for the TV series.

As for B.D. Sherry/Merrill, she was not in it long enough to harm it.

I see. It did look like an old part of town. And houses VERY close together, but then that's LA!

Interesting that Blanche did look better in the dying beach scenes that in the ones prior to them.  Course would not have paid attention to this but for the TV series.

Yes, the part about Joan wanting to look better was true. This prompted Bette to want to look better as well. The final scene was reshot in the studio. At least parts of it.  You can tell in the shot where Bette dances around when the people are watching her that its a studio shot........

Bette said later in life that talent skips a generation. :D

Bette said later in life that talent skips a generation. :D

Bette also disinherited BD and her children.

Just watched Episode 3, at last. I liked it. Any program that features a Shirelles song ("Mama Said," albeit a year or so late) is fine by me.

the only thing i can think of that would give the neighbors any reason to even be in the script would be a rewrite where the Mother comes over and gets added to Bette's victim list, which the more i think about, the more i like.

ps- would be fine with the daughter getting it too.

the only thing i can think of that would give the neighbors any reason to even be in the script would be a rewrite where the Mother comes over and gets added to Bette's victim list, which the more i think about, the more i like.

ps- would be fine with the daughter getting it too.

LOL! (That nosy Mrs. Bates talking about your picture last night....)