GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

799 posts in this topic

Here's a photo from "Feud" of Catherine Zeta-Jones as Olivia de Havilland. I realize that Olivia and Bette Davis were longtime friends and co-stars. But did De Havilland get along with Joan Crawford?

C4QkaJ2VMAEa-_f.jpg

For those able to view it, here's the first full trailer for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZpANeIWWXI

Here's a photo from "Feud" of Catherine Zeta-Jones as Olivia de Havilland. I realize that Olivia and Bette Davis were longtime friends and co-stars. But did De Havilland get along with Joan Crawford?

I assume DeHavilland didn't have much contact with Crawford during their careers.   E.g. When Crawford was signed by Warner Bros.  DeHavilland was in the dog house and would soon file the now famous lawsuit against the studio.   

They never worked together on a film and since DeHavilland moved to Paris during the 50s she wasn't part of the So Cal \ Hollywood scene.

I read a long time ago that Joan was first offered "Lady in a Cage" but turned it down.  Don't know if it's a fact, but it may be as truthful as the story that Vivien Leigh was asked to replace Joan in "Charlotte" (as were a number of well-known actress "of a certain age".)

I read a long time ago that Joan was first offered "Lady in a Cage" but turned it down.  Don't know if it's a fact, but it may be as truthful as the story that Vivien Leigh was asked to replace Joan in "Charlotte" (as were a number of well-known actress "of a certain age".)

I think I read that she even signed for it and was all ready, but backed out over "illness" or some such thing.

In all honesty, as long as I've waited for something to be made about Bette and Joan, and as good as both actresses are- I don't think I can watch it- at this point I am so UTTERLY DISGUSTED** with Sarandon that I cannot watch her, the reaction is so visceral.

She was on MSNBC last night making a total **** out of herself.

**and I'm saying this as an admitted

"snowflake libtard."

Let me lighten this up...I can't find any comments about Olivia, but in "Conversations" here are some of JC's observations about actresses aging in Hollywood: "Hedy Lamarr was shoplifting, Vivien Leigh was having nervous breakdowns, Liz Taylor was getting married all the time, Judy Garland was strung out on dope and Lana Turner was part of the mafia".....Dope and the mafia! Luv ya Joanie!

Let me lighten this up...I can't find any comments about Olivia, but in "Conversations" here are some of JC's observations about actresses aging in Hollywood: "Hedy Lamarr was shoplifting, Vivien Leigh was having nervous breakdowns, Liz Taylor was getting married all the time, Judy Garland was strung out on dope and Lana Turner was part of the mafia"

i'd like to think Crawford received a clipping of that quote with a note from Ava Gardner that said:

"and I've done it ALL. Come at ME, *****. "

How about Joan and Marilyn Monroe having a one night stand? Any possibility there's truth to that fabulous rumor?

Is that the rumor that says Marilyn's suspicious death doesn't really have anything at all to do with any JFK connection, but in fact stemmed from Joan catching Marilyn sipping from a Coca-Cola can instead of a Pepsi can during their little tryst?

(...yeah, I think I've heard that one but never really placed much stock in it)

No Rum and Coca-colas were imbibed before eh?

Nope, not according to that rumor, Roy.

(...but why bring the Andrew Sisters into this?...they weren't any part of that rumor I heard)

I think I read that she even signed for it and was all ready, but backed out over "illness" or some such thing.

In all honesty, as long as I've waited for something to be made about Bette and Joan, and as good as both actresses are- I don't think I can watch it- at this point I am so UTTERLY DISGUSTED** with Sarandon that I cannot watch her, the reaction is so visceral.

She was on MSNBC last night making a total **** out of herself.

**and I'm saying this as an admitted

"snowflake libtard."

No, If I recall correctly, Viv turned it down with the quip. I could just about take looking at Joan Crawford's face at 6 in the morning on a southern plantation, but I could not take looking at Bette Davis'!. Or something similar. Of course, this dampened Bette's enthusiasm to have Viv take over Joan's part..............

Unless you were referring to Joan taking the Lady in the Cage part? I had not ever read anything about that possibility. Would've been a step up for Joan after Strait Jacket!

Yes, I was referring to LADY IN A CAGE...as I recall it in the IMDb trivia section for the film, which is not always right, they claim that Joan was signed on and it was a done deal but she backed out at the last moment for some reason.

She probably would've been much better in the role than Olivia, and there's a chance the film would be a lot more remembered today. (that's absolutely nothing against Olivia, Joan just still generates so much interest all this time later.)

I  had never  heard that story. Too bad for Joan. Was definitely a better film than Strait Jacket....

No, If I recall correctly, Viv turned it down with the quip. I could just about take looking at Joan Crawford's face at 6 in the morning on a southern plantation, but I could not take looking at Bette Davis'!. Or something similar. Of course, this dampened Bette's enthusiasm to have Viv take over Joan's part..............

Unless you were referring to Joan taking the Lady in the Cage part? I had not ever read anything about that possibility. Would've been a step up for Joan after Strait Jacket!

I think LADY IN A CAGE is a really horrible movie.  I love STRAIT-JACKET.

Conversations With Joan: re Baby Jane..

"I really can't say anything against Bette-but I'm damned glad I'm not not being represented in f*g circles, like Tallulah Bankhead, the way she is. I never wanted to be some sort of joke and thank God I haven't been."

Conversations With Joan: re Baby Jane..

"I really can't say anything against Bette-but I'm damned glad I'm not not being represented in f*g circles, like Tallulah Bankhead, the way she is. I never wanted to be some sort of joke and thank God I haven't been."

Good thing she wasn't around for the 1981 film version of "Mommie Dearest"! That might have killed her.

tumblr_m5496hJKfl1r1ult6o1_500.gif

Thanks for that Jakeem! Poor Joan...if she only held on a few more years she would have seen herself catapulted into perpetual f**dom....

It's so typical of our society to remember these great actresses for everything BUT their films and acting. Both stars had their reputations tarnished by sour, bitter daughters who wrote their one-sided "tell all" books as acts of revenge. A series like this does nothing to celebrate their talent and careers. It just tries to cash in on a "feud." Davis famously disliked a lot of actresses (Miriam Hopkins and Faye Dunaway among them) and tended to dislike any competition for roles. Both stars in their prime had control over their films (as many did) and exercised that control when it came to scripts, directors, and yes other cast members. That's what stars do.

I'm not sure, but I do know that CRAWFORD signed (along with a dozen or so other stars) an industry ad lauding JOAN FONTAINE for her work in LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN in 1948 as part of an unsuccessful campaign to get a nomination for her.

(glean from that what you will)

I know ARLENE DAHL tells a story where she claims CRAWFORD threw wine at her at a dinner party and was called a "rhymeswith" by FONTAINE, But i think Arlene is a sad, tired old liar.

I'm not sure, but I do know that CRAWFORD signed (along with a dozen or so other stars) an industry ad lauding JOAN FONTAINE for her work in LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN in 1948 as part of an unsuccessful campaign to get a nomination for her. i also want to say i recall some other detail about FONTAINE and CRAWFORD being friendly.

(glean from that what you will)

I know ARLENE DAHL tells a story where she claims CRAWFORD threw wine at her at a dinner party and was called a "rhymeswith" by FONTAINE, But i think Arlene is a sad, tired old liar.

Whatsmore, she's probably not even a redhead anymore.