GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

799 posts in this topic

Regarding Crawford, I'd say the promo Ann Blyth did voice work for, talking about her experience on the set of Mildred Pierce is probably as accurate as we're likely to have. Crawford could have eaten Blyth whole (she was like 17 years old) but Blyth had nothing but praise for a kind, generous and hard-working actress who allowed the kid to have her scenes and shine brightly. Both stars are marvelous in that superior film.

I just watched two trailers and a teaser and now I'm going to have to eat my words and watch this ******** thing after all.

Did you really think you could resist at least peeking at the first episode ?

Whichever side you're on, you have to watch for if nothing else learning things you didn't know before. And parts you might think are in correct.

I love them both, but if I had to choose I'd go Team Joan..I've read a great deal about this in books about both and Bette just seemed incapable of being gracious or conciliatory. Of course, Joan may have just been a big fake and fraud when saying nice things about Bette, who may not have been able to conceal real feelings about Joan.

And Joan scores extra points for the Oscar maneuver...how gracious and ladylike to do such a favor for fellow actresses. Lesson? Look fabulous when accepting someone else's Oscar...

And Joan scores extra points for the Oscar maneuver...how gracious and ladylike to do such a favor for fellow actresses. Lesson? Look fabulous when accepting someone else's Oscar...

2612597c881e803b736d8e59a6d0c4b9.jpg

in the (Turner produced?) doc JOAN CRAWFORD: THE ULTIMATE MOVIE STAR (which can, i think, be seen online) a couple of different interviewees (one of them, I recall, is Vincent Sherman- director, confidante and LOVAH to BOTH) mention that Bette and Joan ACTUALLY had quite a bit in common:

Bette had a sister she didn't like, Crawford did not like her brother; they were born in the same month of the same year**, both had fathers who walked out, both had mothers they did not get along with.

i think- and this is the unique part of the story- that theirs was a case of two women having waaaaay too much in common for them to possibly get along.

**if the records are to be trusted.

and who knows?

The subject of the second season of Feud was announced today: Charles and Diana.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/fx-commissions-feud-charles-diana/

one of the funnier internet punchlines i read regarding the news was "apparently, in his effort to somehow turn FX into a gayer version of the History Channel, Ryan Murphy has announced that season 2 of FEUD will focus on Charles and Diana..."

btw, a link to a vulture.com slideshow featuring photos of the principles, apparently Victor Buono and Joan Blondell will be characters in this too...

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/feud-fx-cast-real-life-counterparts/slideshow/1/

one of the funnier internet punchlines i read regarding the news was "apparently, in his effort to somehow turn FX into a gayer version of the History Channel, Ryan Murphy has announced that season 2 of FEUD will focus on Charles and Diana..."

Yeah, impression I got from the trailer was "Gayer than a Lorna thread".   ;)

(But guess we can add FX to the list, since it's usually the Viacom-owned channels--MTV, TVLand, etc.--that tend to be suspect, and the Bravo exec made headlines years ago for coming Out.)

Yeah, impression I got from the trailer was "Gayer than a Lorna thread".   ;)

LOL!

Watching Decades this morning they have a short documentary called Hollywood Rivals. After a showing of Mommie Dearest there was an episode on Bette and Joan.

Heard a line that was new to me...Bette on Joan's acting: Joan cries alot. Her tear ducts must be near her bladder.

Watched this last night and I really enjoyed it.    Reminds me of Mad Men (set in the same era (early 60s).    The acting was great by the two leads but some characters were off.     E.g.  Stanley Tucci as Jack Warner and Zeta-Jones as Olivia DeHavilland  (sadly she really messed up Olivia's unique diction by trying way too hard!).  

The best part for me was the parts with Bette and her ex-Husband,  Gary Merrill.    E.g.  what are you in town for, another part in Wagon Train?",,,,   'no,  Twilight Zone,,,',   and the line about replacing the stiff with Barry Sullivan.

Watched this last night and I really enjoyed it.    Reminds me of Mad Men (set in the same era (early 60s).    The acting was great by the two leads but some characters were off.     E.g.  Stanley Tucci as Jack Warner and Zeta-Jones as Olivia DeHavilland  (sadly she really messed up Olivia's unique diction by trying way too hard!).  

The best part for me was the parts with Bette and her ex-Husband,  Gary Merrill.    E.g.  what are you in town for, another part in Wagon Train?",,,,   'no,  Twilight Zone,,,',   and the line about replacing the stiff with Barry Sullivan.

I watched it, too, and had the same opinion. I enjoyed Kathy Bates' small bit as 1978-era Joan Blondell. I never would have thought to cast Mark Valley as Gary Merrill, though. I'm also wondering how the story will sustain a series. I know it's a short one (maybe 5-8 episodes), but they covered a lot more ground in this first episode than I expected.

4650ce34bcdd4937498d68caaf3eda47.jpgtwzep76sc16.jpg

I watched it, too, and had the same opinion. I enjoyed Kathy Bates' small bit as 1978-era Joan Blondell. I never would have thought to cast Mark Valley as Gary Merrill, though. I'm also wondering how the story will sustain a series. I know it's a short one (maybe 5-8 episodes), but they covered a lot more ground in this first episode than I expected.

Agree.   Yea a lot of ground was covered.     I also loved the ending were Bette becomes Baby Jane by deciding her own make-up and costume.    I wonder how much of that was truth.

So what will they cover?  Of course we have the rat and the kick in the head but that isn't going to take up more than one episode.   

As for the actors:   I wasn't expecting them to cast actors that matched the looks of the originals,  per se,  but just their persona.   Maybe I have seen Tucci play too many 'soft' characters for me to accept him as hard-A Jack Warner.

I watched this show with veiled enthusiasm, since some parts of the plot seemed to be lifted whole cloth from the infamous cult film, "Mommy Dearest" as if the writers were too lazy to come up with their own ideas. Also the shots of Bette in front of her dressing table, looking exactly like she did when Eve entered into her life in AAE, and the ice cube scene with Joan from MD were so cliched but being that it was just a silly pastiche of a famous feud, all in all I enjoyed it for what it was, mostly a rehashing in a Confidential Magazine style of their mutual dislike and Sarandon and Lange were amusing to watch.

Why hit a gnat with a sledgehammer in any type of criticism, since this was just fun folderol and the the Aldrich and Warner characters were adding to the silliness that harms no one, but maybe Bette and Lucille. I give it a seven out of ten, but you still can't dance to it!

I couldn't resist watching knowing full well of what I would get.  It is a hoot. I laughed out loud.  You will too.  Watch and laugh.

In all their interviews both Bette and Joan never spoke disparagingly about each other.  They both regarded themselves with high professional regard.  It would be intreresting now if they would do a biopic of their early years like Joan's up bringing by her own abusive parents and her turn as a chorus girl and flapper during the 1920's ending with her desire for motherhood leaving off where Mommy Dearest begins.  Bette's early struggles on the Broadway stage during the late 20's to her start in films in the early 30's would be interesting as well.

In all their interviews both Bette and Joan never spoke disparagingly about each other.  They both regarded themselves with high professional regard.  It would be intreresting now if they would do a biopic of their early years like Joan's up bringing by her own abusive parents and her turn as a chorus girl and flapper during the 1920's ending with her desire for motherhood leaving off where Mommy Dearest begins.  Bette's early struggles on the Broadway stage during the late 20's to her start in films in the early 30's would be interesting as well.

I doubt there would be much of a market for biopic about Joan or Bette's early struggles \ life.    Yea you and I would watch this but I assume we are not in a target demographic.

This Bette and Joan series is set in the 60s and I believe is trying to take advantage of the popularity of the Mad-Men series as well as early 60s life in America and of course feuds,  which like car wreaks,  people just can't turn away from.

The thing that surprised me was the language.  Naw, I knew full well that the two ladies could be salty as anchovies when they spoke with candor, but I don't watch much fare on that channel, and their being more easy going about it surprised me for a "basic" cable channel.  Usually, one expects to hear such utterance on SHOWTIME or HBO.

Other than that, I thought it was OK for a TV seiries.  Had it been a major production with a multi-million budget, it would have fallen short of passable.

Sepiatone

Watching Decades this morning they have a short documentary called Hollywood Rivals. After a showing of Mommie Dearest there was an episode on Bette and Joan.

Heard a line that was new to me...Bette on Joan's acting: Joan cries alot. Her tear ducts must be near her bladder.

LOL! I recorded that. Nothing new really, but fun.