GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

799 posts in this topic

Maybe there will be a court case, with a jury, and Olivia will have to appear! I expect to be called for Jury Duty in August. If they move it to Manhattan (LA being too prejudicial), boy, would I love to be on that jury!

In any case, it's more publicity for the show, in time for the Emmys.

• Like 1

Yea,  Olivia should be thankful! 

But seriously,   I sadly that Olivia felt the need to sue;  I don't think the show reflected her in a negative light unlike some of the books I have read about her where she was known as being difficult if not a downright ****.       Hopefully she doesn't prevail since that would be a blow to artistic license. 

While I'd say the majority of Zeta-Jones' scenes in this series made Olivia appear reasonably affable, I do remember towards the end of it a few scenes where she came across as a bit of a "****". And as I recall again, it was when her sister Joan's name was mentioned.

(...and so considering that Olivia has always downplayed the reports of HER feud with her sister, it would seem that it was primarily THOSE scenes in particular of which she might have taken exception enough to have filed this lawsuit)  

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 2

I haven't the show yet but I read an article saying that Catherine Zeta-Jones as Olivia called Joan Fontaine her "**** sister". De Havilland just doesn't seem like the type of person who would say such a thing, no matter how badly she got along with her sister. It sounds like they barely researched how Olivia talked in real life. So I can see how it's in a negative light but then again I've haven't seen the show yet.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

From The Hollywood Reporter via: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/olivia-de-havilland-sues-fx-feud-portrayal-1018306

"In a complaint filed Friday in L.A. County Superior Court, [Olivia] de Havilland claims she has built a reputation for integrity and dignity by refraining from gossip and other unkind, ill-mannered behavior — but the series opens with [Catherine] Zeta-Jones doing an interview as de Havilland and creates the impression that she was a hypocrite who sold gossip to promote herself."

Writes de Havilland's lawyer Suzelle Smith in court filings: "Her credibility, as both the only living person of significance portrayed in 'Feud' and as a reliable source who was close to the action, added to the success of 'Feud' at the expense of Olivia de Havilland."

35DB356000000578-3670080-image-a-19_1467

Then 99-year-old Olivia de Havilland is pictured above on June 18, 2016 at her home in Paris.

• Like 2

I bet this has been on her mind ever since the program aired. What else does she have to do ? If I somehow make it to 100 and am living in luxury in Paris, Lawsuits will be the last thing on my mind.

I wonder what she would have to gain or what she is asking for. I bet there is some misunderstanding going on. No need to sue over a word or phrase.

Too many buttery croissants and wine and flowers to enjoy.  

• Like 1

If she really wants "the truth" about her sibling relationship and her life overall to be known she should have completed her autobio we've been anticipating for years. Amazon even had it on pre order, but alas it was never published. .or even finished by Olivia?

• Like 1

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!

#TEAMdeHAVILLAND

PS- LOVE the prints, LOVE the dress, Love the pearls, LOVE the seat, love, love, LOVE THE PILLOWS.

And that's just one room of the home, the "Blue Room" :) . Imagine the rest of the home. I might just stay indoors !

Her hand on the sofa Lorna, it's inviting "Come sit here Dear; let us have a good gossip!".....

It doesn't even look all that comfortable and yet I'd spend nine hours there just listening.

• Like 1

And that's just one room of the home, the "Blue Room" :) . Imagine the rest of the home. I might just stay indoors !

"We'll have a blue room

A new room

For two room

Where every day's a holiday...."

Yea,  Olivia should be thankful! 

But seriously,   I sadly that Olivia felt the need to sue;  I don't think the show reflected her in a negative light unlike some of the books I have read about her where she was known as being difficult if not a downright ****.       Hopefully she doesn't prevail since that would be a blow to artistic license. 

ARTISTIC LYING is more like it.............

• Like 1

If she really wants "the truth" about her sibling relationship and her life overall to be known she should have completed her autobio we've been anticipating for years. Amazon even had it on pre order, but alas it was never published. .or even finished by Olivia?

If it was on pre-order, it must have been finished. Amazon would not have listed something "in progress". I suspect it wont be published until after her death.........(Odd, I never saw it listed on Amazon, but then I wasnt really looking) A gossipy tome about both sisters by Darwin Porter was to be published several years back and was listed on Amazon and was pulled and never has been published. Perhaps He feared an Olivia lawsuit? LOL. He's probably waiting on Olivia to die and then will publish it..........

• Like 2

Charles Higham released a book in 1984 called Sisters - The Story of Olivia and Joan.

It covers the so called feud up until that time;   Like most of these type of events,  this feud (disagreements)  were not as deep as often conveyed by one-liners one finds in media sources,  but there was some bitterness between the two related to how they felt about each others spouses etc.. Fairly typically sister 'stuff' IMO.  

Either way it would be a big mistake for the courts to side with Olivia as it relates to contents as show in the Feud mini-series.    Nothing that comes close to slander or libel;   so move along folks. 

I read Sisters. I found it rather boring. I think it was published before Joan's tome...........

I read Sisters. I found it rather boring. I think it was published before Joan's tome...........

Sisters came after Joan's book:  No Bed of Roses,  which was released in 1978. 

Sisters came after Joan's book:  No Bed of Roses,  which was released in 1978. 

I wasn't that crazy about No Bed of Roses.  Imo, it was stuffy writing...

• Like 1

I wasn't that crazy about No Bed of Roses.  Imo, it was stuffy writing...

Well, you're sure not to like SIsters then. Even stuffier. That's right, Joan's book came out in the 70's.

• Like 1

Well, you're sure not to like SIsters then. Even stuffier. That's right, Joan's book came out in the 70's.

Yea,  I wouldn't recommend either book to anyone but the very serious Olivia or Joan fan (and mostly as a collector item).    I picked up each book at a used book sale.  This is where I got most of my movies books.    For a dollar or two (at most),  the cost is worth it just for the pictures.

I also have Every Frenchman Has One by Olivia;  I find this to be a charming read.    Not much about movies but more of 'an American in Paris' type of book based on Olivia moving to France after she married a Frenchman. 

• Like 1

I also have Every Frenchman Has One by Olivia;  I find this to be a charming read.    Not much about movies but more of 'an American in Paris' type of book based on Olivia moving to France after she married a Frenchman. 

Me, too!  I couldn't get into it the first time I read it, for some reason, but enjoyed it a lot more recently.  I like her sense of humor in it.  

I can't bring myself to read Charles Higham's biographies.  He seems to be the type of author who relishes writing the sensationalized biographies by making some wild claim about a personality.  The intent of his books seem to be to discredit the subject or undermine their image or reputation. I find those types of biographies off-putting. I want to learn the truth about the subject's life.  

I like reading autobiographies--I know that the authors cannot be 100% trusted, but they feel more legitimate.  I'll read biographies if they're highly acclaimed or perhaps if the subject (or people who actually knew the subject) participated in the publication of the book.

I can't bring myself to read Charles Higham's biographies.  He seems to be the type of author who relishes writing the sensationalized biographies by making some wild claim about a personality.  The intent of his books seem to be to discredit the subject or undermine their image or reputation. I find those types of biographies off-putting. I want to learn the truth about the subject's life.  

I like reading autobiographies--I know that the authors cannot be 100% trusted, but they feel more legitimate.  I'll read biographies if they're highly acclaimed or perhaps if the subject (or people who actually knew the subject) participated in the publication of the book.

His books are well researched, but he generally has some sort of agenda or point of view to make. Also his writing style is very dry and boring even when dishing dirt..........

I read a fair amount of Highams HOWARD HUGHES bio and not only was it utterly dreadful, I distinctly recall coming across several easily recognized mistakes and factual errors (although it was years ago and I don't recall the specifics of them.)

Per The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/olivia-de-havilland-wants-take-fx-trial-before-her-102nd-birthday-1024379): 

Olivia de Havilland requested in a Tuesday filing in Los Angeles Superior Court that her case against FX and the producers of the Emmy-nominated miniseries Feud should be expedited. De Havilland is suing the network and the show's producers, claiming her reputation as a person who has avoided gossip has been damaged by the way in which she was portrayed on the series, and also arguing that producers exploited her position as the only living person portrayed as a main character to lend authority to the drama.

De Havilland's attorneys are pushing for a November 2017 trial date -- unusually early, because the defendants in the case have yet to file an appearance. But under California civil law, plaintiffs over the age of 70 are allowed to speed up litigation. Ms. De Havilland's attorney says in a statement that her client wants to have resolved the matter "well in advance of her 102nd birthday" on July 1, 2018.

olivia-catherine-split.jpg?w=2000&h=1333