Sign in to follow this  
johnm001

Your Favorite Dance Numbers

126 posts in this topic

I've done lots of research. People who have written books and published articles have used my research findings, many times. I post nothing here that isn't factual. Cinemascope is quite jealous of me. In case her posts don't already make that abundantly clear.

Anything that is posted in a thread is there for anybody else to see -- and post an opinion, if they feel like it. Stop trying to control and intimidate others.

I'm not trying to control or intimidate anyone? If you feel that way, then there must be something wrong with you. I'm sure no one else feels intimidated by me. I don't like you. There's no rule on this board that says I have to like you. Just accept it. You're not liked. I'm free to ask you to stop responding to my general posts.

No, you're just trying to insult those who get on your bad side simply because they happened to disagree with you -- you can't stand anyone not agreeing with you, ever since your defense of Pepe I think it should be fairly obvious!

Jane Powell, who badly wanted the part, had already been announced for it when Doris Day's then producer-agent- husband Marty Melcher stepped in and convinced MGM to go with Day, recently turned loose from Warner Brothers, instead. Joe Pasternak, the film's producer, later explained that it was decided that, with tough guy Jimmy Cagney now signed for the male lead, it made more sense to cast Day since Powell was "too young" for him (though there was only a four-year differnce between the two actresses).

Who was the male lead originally signed?

At any rate there seem to be a lot of different accounts of the casting process... imdb.com has the following trivia:

# It was James Cagney who suggested to producer Joe Pasternak that he cast Doris Day in the role of Ruth Etting. They had worked together previously in The West Point Story (1950).

# This was the only time, after becoming a star in the 1930s, that James Cagney ever accepted second billing for a major role. He thought that Doris Day's character was more central to the film's plot, and so ceded top billing to her.

# Ava Gardner desperately wanted the role of Ruth Etting but MGM went with James Cagney 's suggestion of casting 'Doris Day' instead.

I don't think there was anybody. Probably Cagney was signed after the original Powell commitment and before the switch to Day.

It's hard keeping up with your posts. My account came from:

1). A Sunday PARADE magazine article of Sept. 9, 1956

2). A Powell career article in an issue of the now defunct British film magazine FILMS IN REVIEW (in 1987, I believe)

3). Powell's autobiography, THE GIRL NEXT DOOR AND HOW SHE GREW (1988)

You can probably find it from a seller on Amazon. That's where I got Swanson on Swanson and Joan Fontaine's auto, No Bed of Roses.

Jane Powell is such a cute lady, even today. She looks like the type of grandma that bakes cookies and gives big hugs and spoils her grandkids rotten.

Jane Powell is such a cute lady, even today. She looks like the type of grandma that bakes cookies and gives big hugs and spoils her grandkids rotten.

Ain't that the truth? :x

At any given moment (like right now, for instance), there's a copy or two available on eBay. Expensive, though. So, as has been suggested, Amazon might be the best bet.

I could do that, but first I would probably want to check local libraries, just in case they have copies that can be checked out! B-)

I also had heard that Ava was considered for the role of Ruth Etting. One can only imagine what she could have done in that role. I really feel she would have been terrific. As far as her singing in "Show Boat", she had recorded her two songs for the movie, and then, for some reason, MGM decided to go with a "ghost singer." I have Ava's recordings of these two songs, and she does a fine job. What a shame that the public never got to hear her singing voice in the movie. I don't blame her for feeling bitter.

Terrence.

Resurrecting this thread was a grotesque trip down memory lane. Not that I needed to be reminded, but it proves what a repugnant creep, Cinemascope is. Who, by the way, still trolls these boards.