VivLeighFan

Share your unpopular opinions here!

630 posts in this topic

Do you have an opinion about a movie/actor/director/etc. that isn't often shared by the majority of people? If so, share that opinion here. The purpose of this thread is not to criticize others but to start interesting discussions about cinema.

My unpopular opinion is that Elizabeth Taylor is a very overrated actress. It's not that I don't like her as a person but as an actress I think she is very wooden. I haven't seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? or Butterfield 8 but I did see her in Reflections of a Golden Eye and bits and pieces of her in other films. Her Southern accent was TERRIBLE in RGE. It sounded like something out of a Saturday Night Live sketch. As if her voice wasn't annoying already! However, I did like enjoy her early performance as Helen in Jane Eyre (1943), which I now consider to be one of my favorite films. In conclusion, I think Elizabeth Taylor was a wonderful person but as an actress she was not good at all.

I never considered Taylor a terrific actress. I usually don't see her called one in the movie books I've read, either. She was a big movie star, but as an actress she was limited. The only time I thought she was outstanding was in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, and even then she was said to be channeling her own worst impulses as opposed to inhabiting another character. As an actress she was never considered in the league of Katharine Hepburn or Bette Davis or Barbara Stanwyck or Olivia de Havilland, to name a few.

As for my own unpopular opinion: The television in Hell shows a 24/7 marathon of Eddy/MacDonald operettas. 

• Like 3

"As for my own unpopular opinion: The television in Hell shows a 24/7 marathon of Eddy/MacDonald operettas."

-OR Elvis & Grayson/Lanza movies

:blink::lol:

• Like 3

I've never seen a complete Elvis Presley film and I don't think I'm missing anything.

• Like 3

I've never seen a complete Elvis Presley film and I don't think I'm missing anything.

I've seen almost all of them, and you aren't!

• Like 3

I love Viva Las Vegas and I'm not ashamed about it in the slightest.

• Like 1

I never considered Taylor a terrific actress. I usually don't see her called one in the movie books I've read, either. She was a big movie star, but as an actress she was limited. The only time I thought she was outstanding was in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, and even then she was said to be channeling her own worst impulses as opposed to inhabiting another character. As an actress she was never considered in the league of Katharine Hepburn or Bette Davis or Barbara Stanwyck or Olivia de Havilland, to name a few.

As for my own unpopular opinion: The television in Hell shows a 24/7 marathon of Eddy/MacDonald operettas. 

I cannot stand the Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald movies.  Yuck! I saw San Francisco and I kept hoping the Great Earthquake would cause a wall to fall on Jeannette MacDonald or Clark Gable would punch her in the mouth or something.  

In fact, I really cannot stand any of those people who sing in that operatic style.  If I'm not watching an opera or I'm not watching Bugs Bunny in an opera, I don't want to hear it in my movie! I cannot stand Kathryn Grayson for this reason.  I fast forward through her singing in Anchors Aweigh

• Like 1

I at first thought:  "If I posted ALL of MY unpopular opinions HERE, then I wouldn't need to go to any OTHER thread!"  :)

But I'll try to cover a lot of ground........

...AVA GARDNER wasn't that attractive, nor really even a good actress...

...THE COURT JESTER was probably Danny Kaye's worst movie...

...VERTIGO is boring...

...ADOLPHE MENJOU belonged more in radio than in motion pictures...

...GARY COOPER was a "one trick pony"...

...So was BUSBY BERKELY...

Don't want to "PO"  too many people at once, so maybe I'll be back later.  I dunno.... 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I have so many unpopular opinions, I don't even know where to begin!

As the kids say, "This".

Where do I begin?

Meryl Streep is the most overrated actress in the history of movies

Vertigo is a huge bore

So is Lawrence of Arabia

Bob Denver and Warren Beatty both started on the sitcom Dobie Gillis. Denver was the more talented actor.

Elvis Presley in Flaming Star gives a better performance than any ever given by Oscar winner William Hurt

• Like 1

I like this thread concept;  I'll assume it's not a spot to argue vociferously against others' opinions, but just to express our own, although I'll start by agreeing that La Liz was not a great actress, but was truely a MOVIE STAR, all caps.  Her finest hours were Virginia Wolf and Cat;  she was totally annoying in Raintree County and approximated adequate in many other roles.

Now, on to my choice, which may be sacrilegeous on this Board.  Charlie Chaplin.  I am not a fan. Being without formal film schooling, I never developed an appreciation.

(And I agree with Lawrence of Arabia......sleep inducing.)

Haha I hate the operatic style singing in a movie too. Jeanette McDonald is pretty, but I hate her singing...couple that Nelson Eddy-yukko. Can't stand Kathryn Grayson and how about when Irene Dunne sings? Ew.

My most unpopular opinions are: I don't find John Ford a good director. Sometimes I like the stories & the actors (QUIET MAN comes to mind) but his choices of close/medium/far shots are always "off".

For example:

A woman is jilted, you show her crying face close up for intimacy, right? Or you show a far shot of her from the back looking over the desert to illustrate lonliness, right? Nope, not Ford.

Ford shows the actress in medium shot buttoning up her coat.

I just don't "get" his storytelling.

And everyone's favorite unpopular opinion: Tom Hanks is a lousy actor. Sure, I liked him as much as anyone in BOSUM BUDDIES, he was cute & funny. But as he got older, he just got sloppy & dull. His face is as stiff as Gary Cooper with plastic surgery.  

Another unpopular opinion is hating John Cusak. Everybody loves him, I think he's a mouth-breathing poser. And he DID ruin his face with plastic surgery!

TCM's 'Oscar Month' is probably the most BORING of the whole year!!

(especially THIS one)

;):lol:

that, my friend, is FAR from an unpopular opinion.

• Like 4

I don't like Tom Hanks or John Cusack either.

Hanks is REALLY bad when he's tries to be a character actor -- in The Ladtkillers (horrendous) or as the cop in Catch Me If you Can

I love Elizabeth and Elvis, but admit that they aren't good when the material isn't. They have to be emotionally invested in what they are doing. Taylor was great in A Place in the Sun (probably because she liked her co-star Monty so much), Giant (even better than James Dean in some ways), Cat On the Hot Tin Roof (note that her husband died during its filming and she had to hold it together), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (because she and Richard Burton were essentially playing themselves) and, strangely, Taming of the Shrew. Cleopatra is a lumbering bore but every scene with her in it keeps you awake. Elvis never was an actor. He was a music performer and as long as he was singing, all was right with the world. Of course, his '68 NBC Special is what you go to first, not Clambake.

James Dean was great in East of Eden, but Sal Mineo was better in Rebel Without a Cause. In Giant, he merely looked drunk.

• Like 1

I don't say the following as a protest against some earlier opinions on this thread but because I think THIS is an unpopular opinion:

I like Jeanette MacDonald.

I particularly enjoy watching her in the pre-code period when she appeared in some naughty comedies of Ernst Lubitsch, though I think she particularly shines in Mamoulian's Love Me Tonight as an actress who could play sly innuendo humour on screen, as well as possess a sensual quality (denied her when she went to MGM for her family safe sterile series of operettas with Nelson Eddy).

However, one of her Eddy operettas probably has my favourite MacDonald performance:

Rose Marie.

Yep, the one known for the legendary Indian Love Call scene (which I do enjoy though I realize much of the world will parody it since it is, let's face it, pure corn). However, this film also showed off Jeanette's comedic flair more than any of her other Eddy films I feel.

Take a look at a scene in which her character, a famous prima donna opera star now roughing it in the Canadian wilderness where no one knows of her celebrated fame in the big cities, arrives in a rough tavern. She's hungry and has no money.

There's a hip swinging h o n k y tonk singer, low brow vulgarity personified, but giving the rough patrons what they want as she belts out a tune and flaunts her body, all for the coins being flung at her by the appreciative crowd. A starving Jeanette watches her and tries to take notes of her appeal.

MacDonald then has a marvelous scene in which she tries to emulate the h o n k y tonk singer, with wild arms gestures and hip swings as she sings a song. She's completely out of it and the rough crowd turn their collective noses up on her. The celebrated prima donna can't make a dime here, in contrast to the attentive crowds and applauding opera critics of the big cities.

This scene is a prime illustration of what a superb comedienne Jeanette MacDonald could be for those who don't appreciate the lady's musical talents. She even brings a sympathetic fish out of water vulnerability to the moment, as well.

Jeanette-MacDonald-Gilda-Gray-Jimmy-Conl

• Like 6

TCM's 'Oscar Month' is probably the most BORING of the whole year!!

(especially THIS one)

;):lol:

I'll take a divergent point of view on this.  Sure, showing '31 Days' comes off initially as seeming either lazy or simplistic on the part of the TCM programmers.  But, consider Wednesday night's offerings..."All About Eve", "An American in Paris", "Annie Hall", and "Around the World in Eighty Days".  Every poster on this thread and even on this site will tell you they absolutely love, love, love at least one of these films OR they can't stand one of them and hate them with the heat of a thousand suns!  Many people complain or lament that our society has become too polarized and compartmentalized with regards to our likes and dislikes of things today.  I don't mind the way TCM is showing '31 Days' this year.  In some ways, it seems the alphabetical order concept is so simple as to be brilliant.  TCM is like a carnival or a smorgasbord...there's something for everyone to like, whether those 'likes' are a little or a lot.

• Like 5

I am of the opinion that TCM oughta show the colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Chain Lightning and this june the colorized print of The Longest Day to get viewer's reaction to the overblown negativity that colorization has been prematurely dismissed with.

I saw the colorized print of Chain Lightning when it was syndicated nationally and I am assuming that many of you did not.

TCM oughta show that one alone to get viewer's reactions.

colorizing has not been given a fair shake.

I realize TCM does the "31 days of Oscar"  in the month with only 28 days, but then why not just "28 days of Oscar"?  And maybe stretch it out to 29 days in "leap" years?

And since it IS the shortest month, why not have "28 days of SHORTS"?  Where short subjects are the focus?

And is TCM foregoing it's recognition of Black History Month this year?

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I am of the opinion that TCM oughta show the colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Chain Lightning and this june the colorized print of The Longest Day to get viewer's reaction to the overblown negativity that colorization has been prematurely dismissed with.

I saw the colorized print of Chain Lightning when it was syndicated nationally and I am assuming that many of you did not.

TCM oughta show that one alone to get viewer's reactions.

colorizing has not been given a fair shake.

And quite frankly as a lifelong couch potato slash space cadet...

I find it disappointing and frankly quite remarkable that an outfit of supposed cinemaphiles like TCM would make the mistake of writing off colorizing so cavalierly just due to nothing more than public disinterest.

that is why silent films were ignored for so long.

And if anybody shoulda bucked that it was TCM.

tcm has failed a great test with a whimper.

cinemaphiles huh? really???

when it is left to half-baked couch potatoes like me to speak up for something that tcm shoulda spoken up for, public apathy not withstanding, I hafta wonder.

The worst movie ever made is Brazil. Time Bandits is not far behind. I walked out of the latter; I couldn't walk out of the former, which I saw at the Kensington Odeon, because I was going to a dinner party in the neighbourhood and timed the film to end just before I had to go to the party. And it was a particularly long version of the film, which was cut when it came to America. They should have cut the whole thing.

I always loved Monty Python on television; and a couple of their movies. But for me, Terry Gilliam is a simply awful director of live-action movies. 

The worst movie ever made is Brazil. Time Bandits is not far behind. I walked out of the latter; I couldn't walk out of the former, which I saw at the Kensington Odeon, because I was going to a dinner party in the neighbourhood and timed the film to end just before I had to go to the party. And it was a particularly long version of the film, which was cut when it came to America. They should have cut the whole thing.

I always loved Monty Python on television; and a couple of their movies. But for me, Terry Gilliam is a simply awful director of live-action movies. 

I'm smarter than you as I went to see neither. :lol:

• Like 1