Sign in to follow this  
beltcutter

Where's my favorite all time movie?

8 posts in this topic

TCM is doing their 31 days of Oscars in alphabetical order. I see that Chariots of Fire is NOT included. This movie won FOUR Academy Awards INCLUDING Best Picture in 1982. Why was this movie not included in the scheduling???

• Like 1

It's aired during previous Oscar month programming-- but this year for some reason it did not make the cut.

I guess you can't have them all.  Heck...when Agatha and General Spanky are being played on this A-Z list, one realizes they're just trying to have a cross section.

Yet somehow, they couldn't manage to program even one movie beginning with "E"

Seems a shame, especially considering John Hurt passed away earlier this month, and they could have played The Elephant Man.

• Like 2

TCM is doing their 31 days of Oscars in alphabetical order. I see that Chariots of Fire is NOT included. This movie won FOUR Academy Awards INCLUDING Best Picture in 1982. Why was this movie not included in the scheduling???

(i'm a new TCM fan)

so many movies that actually won significant oscars were snubbed...from the months schedule. while the movies that were snubbed Oscars were included on the schedule. haha go figure  :lol:

like Singin' in the Rain for instance was a loser at the Oscars back then but the film is scheduled for the month. i guess they wanted to shake things up instead of showing the same bunch of films again and again each year?  :huh:

(i'm a new TCM fan)

so many movies that actually won significant oscars were snubbed...from the months schedule. while the movies that were snubbed Oscars were included on the schedule. haha go figure  :lol:

like Singin' in the Rain for instance was a loser at the Oscars back then but the film is scheduled for the month. i guess they wanted to shake things up instead of showing the same bunch of films again and again each year?  :huh:

In prior years TCM focused on nominations (e.g. best picture, actor, actress, supporting etc...) instead of the winners.    E.g. a few years back they had best actress nominations by year;  i.e. all the 1941 best actresses nominee films.   Then they moved on to another year or 'type' on nomination.      I found that more interesting since, as you noted, the 'winners' are typically shown and most of those films are already shown at least once during the year (especially if they are from a studio like MGM, WB or RKO,  related to the so called Turner library of films).

PS:  welcome to this site.