Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

714 posts in this topic

Beginning Sunday, March 5 at 10:00AM, TCM will be debuting a new weekly film noir showcase, which will be hosted by the Czar of Noir Eddie Muller, formerly the host of TCM's 2015 Summer of Darkness and here lately the host of on-air spots for the TCM Wine Club.

Noir Alley kicks off March 5 with THE MALTESE FALCON ('41). Subsequent titles in the series will include the following:

DETOUR ('45, March 12)

ACT OF VIOLENCE ('48, March 19)

TENSION ('50, March 26)

THE BLUE GARDENIA ('53, April 2)

SCARLET STREET ('45, April 9)

THE SET-UP ('49, April 16)

BRUTE FORCE ('47, April 23)

HE WALKED BY NIGHT ('48, April 30)

Ben+Mankiewicz+Eddie+Muller+TCM+Classic+

TCM hosts Eddie Muller and Ben Mankiewicz in conversation at the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival.

• Like 6

Didn't they used to show noirs on Sunday mornings years ago? Or was that AMC?

That's right -- it used to be called Darkness After Dawn. This is basically a resurrection of that.

• Like 1

I think an ongoing series on TCM that features classic film noirs   (films noir?)  is a great idea.There seem to be a lot of noir fans who follow TCM, and there are lots of lesser-known but worthy noirs that could use a little attention drawn to them. And icing on the cake is Eddie M. to introduce them.

But !  I hate to be one of those people who complain about TCM scheduling, and I'm also aware that many, maybe most, people don't watch the station live but record whatever they're interested in, so the actual time and day that a film is aired doesn't matter to them.

"That said", I have to wonder why they picked Sunday mornings for this new noir series. If there's any time that seems particularly UN-noirish, it's Sunday morning. Why not pick a Friday or Saturday night slot? If TCM wants to air more popular, well-known movies in "prime time", fine; they could program the noir feature for late afternoon or late night ( like, 11 or 12), which strikes me as a much more appropriate time for noir, at least in terms of mood.

Anyway, I guess that's just a quibble. I'm happy they're doing this at all, and will just have to resign myself to watching film noir Sunday mornings. I just hope those mornings won't be sunny.

• Like 5

SHEESH. 10am SUN mornings? I wont be watching! (not even out of bed at that hour) So much for TCM's interest in the series. Will Tiffany be co-hosting?

While I'm glad they're putting Eddie M. to good use with this type of programming, I can't help but feel it will just be a replay of everything they screened during Summer of Darkness. I'd like to see a few more premieres come our way-- with noir from Paramount, Republic and Universal. 

• Like 1

used to they always showed a noir on Saturday mornings on TCM...and usually a really good one. they stopped around the time they brought on the serials...

Glad they're giving Eddie something to do, but i have to wonder by now if someone is working to keep him out of prime time....

• Like 1

Beginning Sunday, March 5 at 10:00AM, T

DETOUR ('45, March 12)

ACT OF VIOLENCE ('48, March 19)

TENSION ('50, March 26)

THE BLUE GARDENIA ('53, April 2)

SCARLET STREET ('45, April 9)

THE SET-UP ('49, April 16)

BRUTE FORCE ('47, April 23)

HE WALKED BY NIGHT ('48, April 30)

not a bad selection, although i would've liked some even more obscure titles, also some neo noirs (which would be a way to branch out the theme.)

i am not familiar with the last title though.

• Like 1

That's a good one, Lorna. Richard Basehart is very good in it, I thought.

• Like 3

They must have picked Sunday morning as everyone who isn't noirish is out at church.

I could do a rant about Brute Force not being real noir but will spare everyone the details. They start off with an awesome one in Detour, but Brute Force is dreck by comparison.

• Like 1

not a bad selection, although i would've liked some even more obscure titles, also some neo noirs (which would be a way to branch out the theme.)

He Walked by Night is a 1948 police procedural film noir (but much more a police procedural than noir).

Still it is a nice thriller with Richard Basehart as the killer giving a fine performance.

SHEESH. 10am SUN mornings? I wont be watching! (not even out of bed at that hour) So much for TCM's interest in the series. Will Tiffany be co-hosting?

Now Hibi. No offense here, but aren't you a little long the tooth to still be out partying with the gals so late into Saturday nights?! 

;)

I may not be out partying, but I still stay up late!!!

Yeah, I figured that. ;)

Pretty much the hours I keep too. And, with partying on Saturday nights being pretty much in my past, also.

(...and now days with CBS Sunday Mornings being recorded and then watched later by my wife and I at 9:00am...it's broadcast at that ungodly hour of 7:00am out this way, ya see) 

Being still unretired, the wknds are my only time to keep the midnight oil burning......

Being still unretired, the wknds are my only time to keep the midnight oil burning......

life is one big Rave from 5:30 Friday to whenever you pass out Sunday evening, huh?

Good for you. That's the way to do it.

tumblr_m2wwhrwS8Z1qh1dr7o1_1280.jpg

This reminds me:

I've always been seized by the impulse to call him Czar of Noir, "Crazy Eddie" Muller.

He's just always had that kind of "Crazy Eddie" vibe for me. Not the frenetic, OTT, demonstrably nutters kind of "crazy". More a low key, quietly insane, subtly mad, killer-next-door sort.

Bet it's informed by his San Francisco roots.

• Like 1

Alarm goes off at seven

and you start up-town

You put in your eight hours

for the powers....

that have always been

(SING IT CHILD)

'til its five pm..........

• Like 1

life is one big Rave from 5:30 Friday to whenever you pass out Sunday evening, huh?

Good for you. That's the way to do it.

LOL. That about sums it up. I have to pace myself.

• Like 1

Great time. I'll be sleeping the sleep of the innocent at 10 a.m.

Sunday and I'll be missing that repetitive bore at the same time.

Sweet. :)

Will Tiffany be co-hosting?

Nope; Debbie Gibson will be the co-host.
  • Like 3

They must have picked Sunday morning as everyone who isn't noirish is out at church.

I could do a rant about Brute Force not being real noir but will spare everyone the details. They start off with an awesome one in Detour, but Brute Force is dreck by comparison.

Brute Force is excellent. (Some people may be put off by Hume Cronyn in his undershirt, however.)
  • Like 1

Brute Force is excellent. (Some people may be put off by Hume Cronyn in his undershirt, however.)

Yeah, well...in that regard, the rubber hose doesn't help much either, ya know Fedya! ;)

hume-cronyn.jpg

(...well, I suppose unless you're into that sort'a thing anyway)