Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3,059 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i was a little surprised to see this week's selection for NOIR ALLEY-

THE DAMNED DON'T CRY (1950)

It's a CRAWFORD flick I've seen once or twice maybe, can't remember the name of the character she plays in it for the life of me though....

LOL, Yeah, right!!!!!! Havent seen this in awhile, but am looking forward to Eddie's comments, and will watch it.

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL, Yeah, right!!!!!! Havent seen this in awhile, but am looking forward to Eddie's comments, and will watch it.

and I as well.

Just now, Hibi said:

LOL. TWO???

Scratched the first one all the Hell up. Found second copy in used bookstore near Raleigh.

Should get rid of first one, but it would be like throwing out The American Flag or The Bible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Lucky find.

it really was. It was like $6.00. I have good luck in used bookstores in the Raleigh area, also got THE WOLF MAN LEGACY COLLECTION and ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS on criterion there.

I need to start looking.......I never think of it.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

I need to start looking.......I never think of it.

sadly, if you're outside of a big city- and often one with a college- a good used bookstore is a real rarity.

They have them here. I need to get out more. LOL.

THE DAMNED DON'T CRY also has a great score by RAY HEINDORF, composed for the film (I think), which is a step up from FLAMINGO ROAD, where they borrowed the score from an earlier WB juvenile crime picture.

as I recall it, FLAMINGO ROAD performed surprisingly well at the Box Office, so all the stops were pulled out for THE DAMNED DON'T CRY.

What was Joan's name before the society dame transformation? (I dont remember) Did she even have one? (LOL).

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

What was Joan's name before the society dame transformation? (I dont remember) Did she even have one? (LOL).

Ethel Whitehead. I think we can all see why one of our favorite posters did not pick that nom de plume!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Ethel Whitehead. I think we can all see why one of our favorite posters did not pick that nom de plume!

LMREO! Now HOW could I forget that one????? Oddly, I always remembered the Lorna one, even before Lorna picked it!

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE DAMNED DON'T CRY also has a great score by RAY HEINDORF, composed for the film (I think), which is a step up from FLAMINGO ROAD, where they borrowed the score from an earlier WB juvenile crime picture.

as I recall it, FLAMINGO ROAD performed surprisingly well at the Box Office, so all the stops were pulled out for THE DAMNED DON'T CRY.

The Damned Don't Cry is one of my favorite Joan Crawford films and a fine all around movie.    While Kent Smith is typically just a serviceable actor (does the job but doesn't add a lot either),  here his screen persona really fits that of the character.    I also enjoy the 'I'm just a dame trying to get my share of the pie' aspect of the film. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LMREO! Now HOW could I forget that one????? Oddly, I always remembered the Lorna one, even before Lorna picked it!

IT PICKED ME.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

all this said, if any of you catch THE DAMNED DON'T CRY either Saturday or Sunday and you don't like it, do not fear my wrath in speaking up and saying so.

there are some films where the style reserves run way deeper than the substance, but so deep are those style wells that they make the shortcomings of the script or story (or questionable casting) at least tolerable- THE DAMNED DON'T CRY is onesuch film. It also helps that it's got that wonderful LATE FORTIES WARNER BROS STYLE BANG-BANG-BANG PACING, which are how I really feel all films should move.

i'm not spoiling anything to tell you, one big problem with the movie is that it is very unfocused on just who Joan's romantic lead is SUPPOSED to be.

In fact I'll do you a favor and let you know this beforehand (and i think it'll help how you view the movie:)You are better off not expecting one, because in this film, JOAN IS HER OWN MALE LEAD.

she and her Director (and lovah!) VINCENT SHERMAN turn the rather prurient story into a PERSONAE PARADE OF JOAN: GRAND HOTEL to THE PRESENT.

During the run of the movie, we have JOAN in MINK, JOAN the TRAGIC HAUSFRAU (sans make up!), JOAN the SHOPGIRL, JOAN the SOCIETY CLIMBER, JOAN IN HER SLIP...

JOAN IN A PEPLUM:

ab8aeaa8bc3593c73355b33967487a12.jpg

tumblr_m8fdb8FiNJ1qbsne0o1_500.gifKABUKI JOAN

and of course, JOAN, THE LADY ELEGANTE.....

50damned16jan11.jpg

Thankfully Joan the Dancing Lady is left out. 

There are also some issues I have with the ending, but more on that after you guys hopefully see the movie- which still is (I think) an awful lot of fun and visually a fantastic ride (there are also some Palm Springs exteriors and some cool cars too.)

• Like 3

On 10/7/2018 at 9:23 PM, cigarjoe said:

misswonderly3, I'm patiently waiting for your Odds Against Tomorrow post :D

I had to go out of town on some business. And I had a little trouble with the law.

3 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I had to go out of town on some business. And I had a little trouble with the law.

Intriguing... 

tumblr_mbsbguBrld1qaad4ao1_500.gif

• Haha 4

On 10/8/2018 at 6:26 AM, cigarjoe said:

We know what she was looking for, it's the way she spoke, her stilted speech, what was the reason? was it a "stage direction" in the screenplay?

And I repeat where is misswonderly3 for her insight. ?

Umm...besides the little incident in that small town I had some business in, I also had an appointment with a cosmetic  surgeon..... Busy week !

• Haha 2

I really love Joan in most of her post MGM roles, especially 1945-1952. It's too bad she wasted so many production code era years on some really bad material over at MGM. She had some good roles such as in "The Women", but largely she was just in a dramatic straight jacket courtesy of the censors. Warner Brothers seemed like they knew what to do with her and put her in films that played to her strengths.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised to hear THE P WORD uttered in this movie, in the car scene between JOAN and KENT SMITH. Guess they figured coming from Kent, it'd be tame enough.

("the P word" being prostitution, of course.)

• Like 2