Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3,073 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2018 at 11:39 PM, Vautrin said:

Since it's unlikely that the paths of Albrecht Durer and Noir Alley will cross

very often I thought I'd post one of Durer's wonderful self-portraits. 

albrecht-duerer-self-portrait-at-the-age

Fabulous. Finally some culture for the mavens here. As for Durer, I'll steal the Mank line, there but for god, goes god.

6 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Fabulous. Finally some culture for the mavens here. As for Durer, I'll steal the Mank line, there but for god, goes god.

Bringing a little bit of light to the gritty glum world of noir.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 9:14 PM, Looney said:

Well thankfully they did put CRACK-UP on the Sling TV TCM On Demand, so I was able to finish it early this morning.  Hmmmm . . . . I liked many things about it, but I just don't think I am a Pat O'Brien fan.  I really liked the bit of against type setup, but very soon after that O'Brien just wasn't selling it for me anymore.  It just didn't see him as possibly being any kind of art expert the further I got into the movie.  Overall I don't think I'll remember much about this one, other than I love Ray Collins and Herbert Marshall.  Admittedly I doubt I'll remember this film just because they are both in it.

I used to be of the same opinion until two things changed my mind about PAT O'BRIEN:

1. "BREAKDOWNS OF 1935(ish)-1949(ish)" WHICH is a collection of bloopers and blown lines and other goofs from WARNER BROS films of the era sorted by year. Apparently, they were compiled into a short film annually and shown at the WARNER'S CHRISTMAS PARTY; they have survived and ARE ALL ON YOUTUBE, I truly wish TCM would air them because they are FASCINATING INSIGHT INTO HOW THE STARS REALLY WERE! PAT OBRIEN appears in many- often for flubbing his lineS or losing his toupee (this SEEMS TO HAVE happened a lot)- and every time HE IS A REAL SPORT ABOUT IT and you can sense that the crews loved him and he was a good guy.

2. THE PERSONALITY KID (1934?) A Precode boxing drama starring OBRIEN and GLENDA FARRELL that I caught last month that was DYNAMITE! He blew me away in the role of a prizefighter who- unbeknownst to himself- has been winning rigged matches for his whole career. He and FARRELL had incredible chemistry and it was a dynamic role in a really great picture.- Look for it on SLING if you can find it. *(I know it's available on HULU, but that's another thread...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I used to be of the same opinion until two things changed my mind about PAT O'BRIEN:

1. "BREAKDOWNS OF 1935(ish)-1949(ish)" WHICH is a collection of bloopers and blown lines and other goofs from WARNER BROS films of the era. Apparently, they were compiled into a short film every year and shown at the WARNERS CHRISTMAS PARTY. They have survived and ARE ALL ON YOUTUBE, I truly wish TCM would air them because they are FASCINATING INSIGHT INTO HOW THE STARS REALLY WERE! PAT OBRIEN appears in many- often for flubbing his lineS or losing his toupee (this SEEMS TO HAVE happened a lot)- and every time HE IS A REAL SPORT ABOUT IT and you can sense that the crews loved him and he was a good guy.

2. THE PERSONALITY KID (1934?) A Precode boxing drama starring OBRIEN and GLENDA FARRELL that I caught last month that was DYNAMITE! He blew me away in the role of a prizefighter who- unbeknownst to himself- has been winning rigged matches for his whole career. He and FARRELL had incredible chemistry and it was a dynamic role in a really great picture.- Look for it on SLING if you can find it. *(I know it's available on HULU, but that's another thread...)

Good to know thanks, I got imprinted with O'Brien in Angels with Dirty Faces (1938), and Knute Rockne All American (1940), I'll check them out when I can. 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Good to know thanks, I got imprinted with O'Brien in Angels with Dirty Faces (1938), and Knute Rockne All American (1940), I'll check them out when I can. 

It’s been WAY TOO LONG since I’ve seen ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES. 

Need to check it out again. 

CAGNEY would be great SOTM

14 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

my imprint of Pat O'Brien is the original "The Front Page" with Adolphe Menjou

My favorite film with Pat O'Brien is Torrid Zone with James Cagney and Ann Sheridan.   This is one fun adventure film.    It is a rather odd film in that most of it is played for laughs,  but there is good amount of violence.  

Related to people being too sensitive;   the violence is mostly done by American businessmen on poor locals (who the Americans are exploiting for pennies on the dollar).     That was funny in 1940, but not so much today.

Anyhow,  Pat is full of energy in this film playing a manager that takes advantage of everyone he can for a buck  (which leads to constant battles with Cagney).  

• Like 1

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

My favorite film with Pat O'Brien is Torpid Zone with James Cagney and Ann Sheridan.   

Is that the slower prequel to Torrid Zone?

:lol:

• Haha 2

I've seen 'Torrid Zone' myself and enjoyed the chemistry. At least I think so. That's the one where O'Brien is constantly nagging Cagney to keep the quota of banana shipments on schedule?

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Is that the slower prequel to Torrid Zone?

:lol:

The film could have used a slower prequel!   Yea,  I first had torid and saw that auto-correct 'fixed' this but I didn't notice HOW it was fixed! 

Either way,  have you seen this film?   Fine film and my favorite one for Pat and Ann.    The girls-going-at-it scenes between Ann and Helen Vinson are priceless.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I've seen 'Torrid Zone' myself and enjoyed the chemistry. At least I think so. That's the one where O'Brien is constantly nagging Cagney to keep the quota of banana shipments on schedule?

Yes,  that is the film,  set in a banana producing central American country (unnamed if I recalled correctly). 

I call it an adventure film but it is so much more.  E.g.  The rebels are lead by George Tobias.   One of the funnies exchanges (but about a very serious situation), if where Tobias and Ann are in jail cells and talking.   Tobias is about to be executed and he gives a ring to Ann saying to her he will not have any use of it.   She says back to him 'afraid its going to melt'.    Like I said,  odd film,  but Ann has so many great cracks that I just love it.

PS: I have always wondered if Woody Allen was a fan of this film.  

15 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The film could have used a slower prequel!   Yea,  I first had torid and saw that auto-correct 'fixed' this but I didn't notice HOW it was fixed! 

Either way,  have you seen this film?   Fine film and my favorite one for Pat and Ann.    The girls-going-at-it scenes between Ann and Helen Vinson are priceless.

This the one with Harlow taking a bath in balcony tub, gotta get the priorities straight.:D

On 12/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, Vautrin said:

Bringing a little bit of light to the gritty glum world of noir.

Sat Midnight:  Too Late for Tears; Sunday 10 AM Too Late for Tears followed at Noon by Out of the Past.

Interesting that TCM schedule classifies TLFT as crime drama and OOTP as mystery - or vice versa.

17 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Sat Midnight:  Too Late for Tears; Sunday 10 AM Too Late for Tears followed at Noon by Out of the Past.

Interesting that TCM schedule classifies TLFT as crime drama and OOTP as mystery - or vice versa.

Most of the time I find TCM's 'genre' classifications to be lame.    I could site many examples,  but the film after Out of the Past is Young Man with a Horn and that is listed as 'romance'.     Clearly there was no romance between the young man and the Bacall character (one reason being that she was a lesbian),  and while the Day character loved the young man,  the young man hardly noticed and a romance never developed on film.    OR did the TCM programmers mean romance between the young man AND his horn????? 

Note that TCM doesn't use the term 'noir';  that was wise,  because look at all the drama that creates around here!!!   (ha ha).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2018 at 1:59 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

It’s been WAY TOO LONG since I’ve seen ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES. 

Need to check it out again. 

CAGNEY would be great SOTM

Lorna, it is on youtube with Spanish subtitles.  The fact that it has been out there for some time makes me believe Warner Brothers has lost their copyright to that film, since WB vigorously yanks down from youtube any film for which they do have the copyright. Cagney was last SOTM in January 2008, and it was awesome. Unfortunately three of his best performances at WB  have rights problems - "Ceiling Zero", "Come Fill The Cup", and now probably "Angels with Dirty Faces" too.

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Most of the time I find [Cid's] TCM's 'genre' classifications to be lame.    I could site many examples, 

Please do.

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949)  WOW!!!!!  I wasn't loving this movie first while, but then it really took off.  Definitely has my new favorite Dan Duryea scene of all time.  It was amazing.  And definitely my new favorite Lizabeth Scott movie ever, not that ever really had one before. :D  What a shame Scott didn't like the movie.  I thought she was magnificent.  She really seemed to be the Femme Fatale who genuinely could not help herself.  Her struggle was great.  Sometimes there was remorse and sometimes there wasn't.  It was outstanding.  I think my least favorite part was the end.  I don't think it was bad.  It just didn't quite give me the level of satisfaction I was looking for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Too Late for Tears.  Another good movie with a good cast and story.  The new version is far better than the DVD I purchased years ago as part of a set.  Thank you Film Noir Foundation and UCLA.

As usual the back stories from Muller were entertaining and informative.

My favorite Lizabeth Scott movie is Two of A Kind.  Although Dead Reckoning and The Strange Love of Martha Ivers are close seconds.  She had lots of good roles and played them well.

Dan Duryea always delivered good performances.  He did a couple of Route 66 TV episodes which I frequently re-watch.  He is the lead guest star in both and justifiably so delivering very good performances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Looney said:

TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949)  WOW!!!!!  I wasn't loving this movie first while, but then it really took off.  Definitely has my new favorite Dan Duryea scene of all time.  It was amazing.  And definitely my new favorite Lizabeth Scott movie ever, not that ever really had one before. :D  What a shame Scott didn't like the movie.  I thought she was magnificent.  She really seemed to be the Femme Fatale who genuinely could not help herself.  Her struggle was great.  Sometimes there was remorse and sometimes there wasn't.  It was outstanding.  I think my least favorite part was the end.  I don't think it was bad.  It just didn't quite give me the level of satisfaction I was looking for. 

And it's my favorite. In fact, I've rewatched the ending a few times on youtube.

LIZABETH SCOTT made (I think) her only radio appearance on THE MOLLE MYSTERY THEATER in the aptly named THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES, which is a loose remake of SNOW WHITE with LIZABETH in the VERY WICKED role of the WICKED QUEEN.

It's worth a listen:

• Like 1

***SPOILERS***

I thought Too Late For Tears was great too.  I fell asleep during the ending (not because of the movie, but because I'm apparently incapable of staying up past 10:30pm now) and had to rewind to see what I missed.  I'm not normally a Lizabeth Scott fan, but I thought she was great in this film.  As Eddie Muller mentioned, it's not often that a housewife is the femme fatale.  I think she legitimately loved her husband (Arthur Kennedy), but the allure of the sudden windfall literally falling onto their laps was too much for her to overcome. I liked her constant struggle between right versus wrong, with wrong ultimately winning out, especially after Kennedy takes a bath in the lake.  Eventually, she segues into being a master manipulator with Duryea falling victim.  I liked the ending and the twist with Don DeFore's connection to Scott's first husband.  The suggestion that Scott was a black widow was hinted at earlier in the film, with her comment about how she thought her husband would bring her happiness, i.e. money, but it didn't happen.  The cycle seemed to be repeating itself with her marriage to Kennedy.

I also liked Dan Duryea's part.  It was a different type of part for him.  Duryea's character, while not a good guy persay, was just as much a victim in this film as Scott's husband was.  His usual kind of weasley demeanor was present, but ultimately, he was just a guy trying to get the money that he extorted from someone else.  It was technically *his* money (despite the means he used to get the money), so I can understand his motivation for wanting it back.  It seemed that he was a bit unsavory, though I wasn't sure if he had a criminal past prior to the extortion scheme, or whether he was just an average joe who took advantage of an opportunity when he stumbled upon it.  Scott used Duryea's motivation to get his money to her advantage, fully planning to pin her husband's murder on him.  He helped her off her husband and she screwed him by murdering him and taking off with the loot.

Of course, while Scott is enroute to Mexico City, she encounters a nosy busy-body.  There are always nosy busy-bodies in noir.  I thought for sure she would murder him too, but the cop showed up and let her off the hook.  I loved the Mexico City hotel she stayed at--her room was so opulent.  I liked the scene when DeFore showed up and told her the jig was up.  I liked the ending--it was very dramatic, especially the close up of her bloody hand on top of her precious money.  I was kind of hoping for her to get away with the whole thing, but I knew that per production code, she would end up dead or arrested somehow.  

I also really liked Kristine Miller, the actress playing Scott's sister-in-law.  She had beautiful hair.  It is unusual for actresses to have such long hair on screen.  Usually their long hair is tied up in a bun a la Ann Harding, or it's inside a snood, or something else.  It looks like she only appeared in a couple dozen films, many of which are uncredited roles.  She is just one of hundreds of actresses who were never able to breakout of the role of the ingenue. 

This was a great film and I'm glad Eddie Muller's Film Noir Foundation and UCLA were able to save the film and restore it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just checking.  Is there any reason why Eddie Muller didn't mention that "Too Late for Tears" is "Killer Bait" with a different title?  And if he did mention it and I missed it, did he give the back story?  If he gave the back story, will someone let me in on it?  If he didn't give the back story, will he let me in on it?

• Confused 1